When to have baby shower/gift registry

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by zanetaya, Apr 7, 2010.

1. zanetaya

zanetaya Well-Known Member

Hi there! I am currently 19.5 weeks pregnant with twin girls. Things are going very well so far. :) My mom and sisters will have having a twin shower for me and we're not sure when that should be. ?? When did you have your baby shower? Does this one need to be earlier than with a singleton?

Also, I am wanting to think about gift registry....What are somethings you could not live without, as mothers of twins? What will I need 2 of or only 1 of? Our girls will have to sleep in the same crib for as long as possible....not enough room here. C'mon, ladies...fill me in!! Thanks so much

2. I can offer no advice on what to register for as I will be a first time mom. We registered for pretty much two of everything- two bouncers, two swings, two playmats, because I figured what I would do for one I should do for both. I might end up regretting it when we have to put away our dining room table to make room for all this stuff, but I just figured better safe than sorry!

As far as showers, I had my first at 26 weeks and will have my third and final this weekend at 28 weeks. I know it is early, but I just felt the earlier I had the showers the more time I had to buy what I still needed. I plan on using craigslist and garage sales for as much as I can, so I have more time to bargain hunt this way. I'm also glad I had my showers this early because now we can start preparing the nursery more and won't be waiting until the last minute.

Just my two cents for what its worth! Have fun registering if you haven't already- it is very overwhelming!

3. threebecamefive

threebecamefive Well-Known Member

I would register earlier rather than later. The farther along you are, the more uncomfortable you'll be. Walking around, or standing around, while you ponder all the baby stuff may not be what you want to do when you're 25+ weeks along (because by then, you'll probably be measuring close to 40 weeks, which of course, is full term!).

I would register for two of everything, but don't be afraid to make them different. Like two different swings, two different bouncy seats, etc. One of my boys was really comfy in his little vibrating seat, but the other one could only tolerate the baby papasan because it reclinded more. Plus, if they're slightly different, with different bells and whistles, you will have more options as far as changing the "scenery" for your babies.

Since it sounds like space is an issue, I would not get high chairs. Get a nice booster seat that has the tray that you can attach to your regular kitchen or dining room chairs. The nicer ones offer reclining positions and will take your babies from 6 months past 2 years. We did that and I loved it!!! When we moved to a bigger house I had no desire to get high chairs after using the boosters for a couple months. As a matter of fact, we never really even used the trays; I just put the boys up at the table and they ate with us - they just ate with their hands and were messier (I taped a place matt to the table and put their food directly on that).

If you plan on nursing, I recommend the EZ 2 Nurse pillow (am I remembering that name correctly?). I got one and brought it with me to the hospital. I started tandem nursing as soon as they were born. I had to make my personal adjustment so the pillow fit me and my babies, but once I got used to it, it was a lifesaver. I used it until I weaned them at 2+ years old.

Hmmmm . . . what else? Lots of diaper rags. Double the babies = double the drool/spit up/etc. :) Lots of diapers too!! Register for them. They're expensive and something you can't do without!

As for when to have the shower, I would go for around 30 weeks. Chances are you'll be starting to get a wee bit uncomfortable and that would be a real pick-me-up. Much later than 33 weeks and you may not feel like putting on your happy face for lots of people. Not to paint a yucky picture - I had a textbook pregnancy - but you are carrying two babies, you will get big, and you will get uncomfortable. :)

Enjoy all of it. Being pregnant with twins was one of the most amazing things I've ever done. My boys are now 4 years old, I am still in awe at having twins!!

4. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

My shower was scheduled for 28 weeks 2 days, which I thought was plenty early enough. That is until I went into PTL unexpectedly at 24 weeks and delivered my girls at 28 weeks 1 day. Needless to say I missed my own shower, but my hubby stepped in for me and I hear it was a blast. :D

There is a great sticky at the top of the Expecting Forum that lists all the Twin Must Haves. Here is a direct link. I used it for my registry and I found it very helpful.

5. MsTasha

MsTasha Well-Known Member

I would have your showers around 28 weeks. Much after that and you can't really deal with washing everything and putting it away much less trying to shop for whatever else you need. A lot of things you can start with one of and then see if both of them really like it and if you need 2 of them - swings, bouncers, etc... You can always have one in a bouncer and one in a swing or whatever and then change them around. Do think about a few items that you can leave in the car to travel with to make taking them places easier - I got a foldable rocking/vibrating chair and an extra nursing pillow to leave in the car so it is just less to pack up for a trip to visit grandparents.

6. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

The things I LOVED were my Pnp pack and play. It was a simple one, single size, with a change table I used FOREVER, PLUS it had a bassinet attachment. Can be used beside you bed for them to sleep in, it is still used as a second sleep station for nap times, it was used as a change station on the first floor of our house....

Zippered sleepers. With two all those buttons at night are a killer. Only Zippered sleepers for me. Loved Carters and Oshgosh.

Only Osh Gosh socks. ONLY.

Only Robeez shoes stay on their feet.

A great camera. A great video camera. And learn NOW how to use it !!! In the end really all the cute outfits are gone, and ONLY the pictures remain. So I'd add a professional photo shoot to the mix too.

Ikea has cheap highchairs. Soooooooooo easy to clean. like $30.00. They don't take up huge room and my 2.5 year olds still sit in them and don't complain eventhough there are booster chairs they could sit in if they wanted too.

Clothes that DON'T NEED IRONING seriously you are twin mom and you will not have time.

Be prepared to have two babies two different sizes. always a shock for moms. Plus they can grow at different rates too. So one kid has double the clothes.

My one daughter didn't like anything that moved (swings, rockers). I bought a Fisher price infant to toddler rocker and loved it. later it can be a rocking chair for a toddler.

Know that all this stuff will be USELESS in less than one year. You WILL NOT use that swing after 6 months of age. So double of everything is great but where do you put it in one year. THEN, you have to start to pay for everything because all the shower stuff runs out.

I had two different exercausers and the larger more interesting did help.

If you can get anything from other people -- TAKE it, then you can add more helpful things to your shower list.

It is nice to have some larger sized clothes so that you have something to look forward to when the pickings get slim. Size 2 was nice eventhough I thought it was odd when I received the gift.

A cleaner for a month or better yet a year ??

All the soaps, lotions, diapers really come in handy.

Sheets, and mattress covers. I've heard of layering -- mattress cover, then sheet, then another mattress cover than another sheet. If they get sick you just remove the one layer and voila the bed is ready again.

Heather

7. ladypotter

ladypotter Well-Known Member

Mine is going to be at 29wks (in just over two weeks!!) and glad it got scheduled for then, because I am getting so uncomfortable these days and can't walk around much as the other ladies have said. Can't imagine having to make a big Babies R Us Run much after that to get the rest of what I need.

I don't plan on getting high chairs until they are 3-4 months old and am going to get the space savers that wrap onto my dinette table chairs.

I am only going for one swing, one play mat and two bouncers. They can "share" the swing and play mat (rotate them out).

Love the idea about the layering of mattress covers and sheets!! I think I will use that idea!

Have FUN!!!

8. DblStuffOreo

DblStuffOreo Well-Known Member

Having your shower earlier is better than later. My first was scheduled for 28 weeks. Four days after it, I was placed on modified bed rest and the second shower had to be canceled. If you have to cancel, you can always do a "Sip and See" after they are born. A sip and see is a tea party/wine party held after the baby's birth.

9. pandax3

pandax3 Well-Known Member

I agree with the pp. I have already gotten a swing and a bouncer from DS. So not planning any more of them. Try consignment sales and you should be able to find something. I having my shower in June because both of my sister that doing the shower for me will be graduating in May and they both have finals this month.

10. leaudemiel

leaudemiel Well-Known Member

My shower is this weekend, at 28 w 5 d, and I am grateful I waited until now, because its my last day of work, and I'm really bummed. Now I will have plenty to do Monday and beyond, ordering what we need, washing clothes, sending out thank you cards. And I can ask my local friends all at once to come visit me!

We didn't register for any swings or things that would be used for less than 6 months, but instead got them on Craigslist and local childrens consignment shops. I had a hard time asking for a $100 play mat when I can get a perfectly good one for $10. So instead we registered for the strollers, car seats, things like that. And bottle supplies and sheets, etc. But from what I am hearing from friends, people don't buy you crib sheets. They're not as cute.

I found the sticky above VERY helpful about what you actually need, verses the BRU registry must haves!

And be warned! The EZ2nurse pillow is HUGE! :) It arrived in the mail last week and I was shocked!

11. chatongris

chatongris Well-Known Member

no clue about when to do it, but if space is a concern (it is here) then you DO NOT need two of everything. Register for a crib set (I've known plenty of twin mom's who's twins slept together for the first year plus.) Get 1 swing and 2 bouncers (or a bouncer and a travel swing) the travel swings and bouncers are tiny and great for transporting for trips. regular swings take up ALOT of space. Don't register for any clothes, blankets, or washcloths. You will get tons. Register for a good double electric pump, some bottles, and a good twin breastfeeding pillow. A double stroller or a baby carrier or two (depending on where you live one may be more practical than the other, I use them both.) Two carseats are vital though. Register for an infant seat. there is no way a tiny baby is going to actually fit in a convertible.

12. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

I had my shower at 28 weeks and I thought that was too early but it was the perfect time. :good: I was big but not too big to enjoy the day.

I started my registry at 20 weeks when we found definitely what we were having. :Clap: Enjoy!!

13. Crystal_K

Crystal_K Member

Yeah I would say early rather than later cause my shower isn't till May 1st and i'm getting worried that i'm gonna miss my own shower haha

14. hsddc

hsddc Well-Known Member

I agree with the other posters here--earlier is always a little bit better for the shower than later. My shower was initially set for when I was 28 weeks and then we had a massive blizzard and had to cancel. It was then rescheduled for two weeks later and it was great. I was huge but could still get around fairly easily and could really enjoy it. Much later than that and I would have been uncomfortable, I think.
    The sticky is great for ideas on what to register for. I agree with others who have said don't register for too many clothing items--you will get them anyway (who doesn't like to shop for baby clothes??). We also registered for bottles, crib sheets, and other smaller items. We got the Arms Reach Co-sleeper to use as our bassinet because the upper portion has a higher weight limit than the Pack n Play (30 lbs. vs. 20 lbs). And then we'll use it as a play pen when the babies get older.
    The other thing you could do is register on diapers.com. We did and now we have a nice stash of diapers that will last us a while (or maybe not, let's face it!). Just get the slightly larger sizes that you know they'll grow into rather than the preemie ones because they may or may not need those.

15. calind115

calind115 Well-Known Member

We just found out a few days ago it was twins so I decided I kinda NEEDED to register :laughing: Our first one is at about 23 wks. I want to try and have my family baby shower around 30 wks or so. I told everyone that I am not picky, we weren't prepared for twins to whatever they can find will work. I also made sure to let them know that used items are perfectly ok, in fact thats what we prefer. I registered at walmart.com and babiesrus.com I am going to let ppl know that they are more then welcome to get soemthing similar from the registry if they find it cheaper it doesn't HAVE to be off the registry at said store.