When to schedule baby shower?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by paperclippy, Feb 19, 2013.

1. paperclippy

paperclippy Well-Known Member

Good morning! Maybe this is a dumb question, but I'm trying to figure out when a baby shower should be scheduled. My 40 weeks date is June 28th. I thought it would be best to have a shower in April, since I'll be 32 weeks at the beginning of May and the doctors told me the babies could come any time after 32 weeks, even though I'm hoping to go to 37 or more (not sure about that, one of my doctors wants to induce at 36, the other said I could go longer if all is well). The two dates that have been proposed to me are April 20/21 and May 11. Is May 11 too late to plan a shower? I'm afraid of being put on bed rest or something by that point. On the other hand I don't want to plan too early and then have something go wrong.

2. AKilburn

AKilburn Well-Known Member

I had mine at 30 weeks, I was on modified bed rest but doc said it was fine for me to go as long as I wasn't up and doing a lot. I had gone out and gotten my registry together realky early on (before bedrest) and then added to it via online. I think April time period would be best, just in case.

3. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

I think I was around 24 weeks? It was the end of October/beginning of November. I remember that we scheduled it then to avoid the Thanksgiving and Christmas chaos. I wasn't due until March 3, but it worked out since I ended up having the girls before new years.

Do it absolutely anytime you want. Most people understand the necessity of having it earlier with twins (bedrest, PTL, or general discomfort towards the end of the pregnancy can make a late shower more difficult).

4. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

I had one at 22 weeks, one at 31 weeks, and one at 33 weeks. My personal recommendation is to have a shower early. At the time, I thought having a shower at 22 weeks was ridiculous, but it was so nice. I wasn't that big, bending over for gifts was easy, and overall I was just way more comfortable. There was plenty of time to get the gifts in order (returned or washed and put away) and do thank you cards. By 31 weeks, I was on bed rest. I was miserable, though that could have been because I went into labor later that day. By my 33 week shower, the twins were already born and in the NICU. All the gifts were in disarray and time was at a premium. I never expected to go into labor so soon... you just never know with twins!!

5. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

My boys were born at 36 weeks on June 27th. I had my first shower in February--so really early, but mostly because it was from my friends at the barn, and once horseshowing season got rolling, weekends get tough. The others were in May, with the last one the first week of June--I was teaching, and there were friends showers. All had their good points and bad. I didn't have any say in the dates of any of them. Although I can say that at the last one, there were 3 of us who were very pregnant, and my brother made a point of saying that no one was allowed to go into labor at his house. That said, one of the women went home, and then had her baby the next day! But if you are 40 weeks at the end of June, I wouldn't have anything planned for later than the first week of May--April will probably be a good month. Also, Easter/Passover are over, and it is a long stretch until Memorial Day, so people will like having a party to go to in April :)

6. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Skip the shower and have a blessing way instead! ;)

In all seriousness though, I think earlier is probably better. Our shower was scheduled for 34 weeks and ended up being the day after we brought our girls home from the NICU. :pardon:

7. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree...earlier is better. :good: I'd pick the April date to be safe. You just never know with twins what can happen.

8. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

I too would go with April...I had mine at 31 weeks in April and wound up delivering at 36 weeks in May....

9. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

I would go with the April date. I had one at around 30 weeks and that was getting tough. I was just tired more easily and it was at a restaurant so there was a certain amout of walking required. I also had to turn down a shower offer from my aunts because they didn't tell me they wanted to throw one until I was 26 weeks along. I knew I was going to have travel restrictions starting around 28 weeks so I wouldn't have been able to make it.

10. rayceryin12

rayceryin12 Well-Known Member

I agree with the April date as well.

11. sslkrissi

sslkrissi New Member

Earlier is definitely better when it comes to twins! My shower was scheduled for 27 weeks. I ended up on bedrest at 26 weeks. I still went to my shower, but wasn't really able to enjoy it because I was so worried about the babies. Didn't end up delivering until 35.5. weeks!

12. paperclippy

paperclippy Well-Known Member

Well, as of today now she's telling me March 24th, so I guess it will be even earlier unless she changes her mind again! Guess I'd better get a move on with finishing the registry. Thanks ladies.

13. Lrnomder

Lrnomder Well-Known Member

I would definitely do it this next month. After everything that I have researched and read online, anything could happen after 30 weeks so to be prepared, i would have it early. I am due June 5th with two little girls and I am planning my shower now. Its going to be March 23 or 24th which would put me at 30-31 weeks which is really pushing it because of my history of preterm labor so far. With my youngest son he was born at 32 weeks and it was the week before his shower so we had to have a welcome/blessing shower. Sooner is always better!!

14. dab_20

dab_20 Member

I had my baby shower two weeks ago at 30 weeks. It was perfect timing because I got to wash all the clothes and organize everything, and buy what I didn't get. Just finished the nursery today and just waiting on their arrival!

I would do the April date if you can. Your going to be big and exhausted later on and probably will be thankful your all ready by then!