when to stop working

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by KeriU, Sep 9, 2010.

1. KeriU

KeriU Well-Known Member

On Saturday I will be 33 weeks and am currently still working. I can take maternity leave whenever I am ready, so I was just curious when other people stop working with twins. I was planning on going on leave after this weekend as I only work 6 a.m. to 2 p.m. Fri-Sun. I don't know if I should try and work another weekend or two or not. I am still doing pretty good. I get awfully tired after work, but that is about it. The one main reason I would leave early is because I work in a prison-directly with inmates and don't want to take any chances. My Dr. wanted me to stop working at 32 weeks because of my occupation, but he is letting me work until I feel I have had enough. Just wondering when other mom's take leave??or when you did, did you wish you would have went on leave earlier?

2. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

I stopped working the day I was admitted to the hospital on bedrest at 24 weeks, yet my mom worked up until 38 weeks with her twins. Every twin pregnancy is so different it's hard to say. You just need to listen to your body and follow your Dr's advice. Good Luck!

3. doreydo

doreydo Active Member

Oh you're making me feel like a wuss! I want to stop working and I'm 23 weeks! My shoulder hurts and I get tachycardic walking my patients from the OR to the recovery room. Argh. Now I feel like I need to suck it up!

4. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I stopped around 30'weeks due to cervical shortening. You need to listen to your body as well as weigh the risks of your occupation.

Good luck,

5. kcur21

kcur21 Member

I am still working and I am 36 weeks. I am planning on tomorrow being my last day, but I guess we will see how the next few weeks go. I have a feeling I am going to get SUPER bored at home all day!

6. mhardman

mhardman Well-Known Member

I was teaching school that got out at 29 weeks adn then 10 days later I was put on bed rest. So I was glad the school year was over or I would have had to quit anyway. If you are getting enough rest, food, water, and can still function you are probably okay. But know it is hard on your body and you don't want ot go into labor already so tired. Good luck.

7. Robynsegg

Robynsegg Well-Known Member

I went off at 30 weeks but it was due to the fact that I was in my sisters wedding party at 36 weeks and I wanted to make sure I got there. I could have continued working right up until the end but I just didn't. I think you just have to listen to what your body is telling you and go from there!

8. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I worked until 31 weeks (desk job) when I was put on bedrest for PTL.
    It's great you have the option to choose! That's fantastic! I say work until you are ready to take it easy!! Good luck to you! :woohoo:

9. annacard

annacard Member

I stopped working at 28 +2 weeks because my cervix was shortening, and was immediately put on bedrest. You are doing great, but listen to what your body is telling you.

10. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I say it's definitely your choice, as long as you are feeling well. My OB had me stop work at 36 weeks.

11. JoannaD

JoannaD Well-Known Member

I was put on modified bedrest at 27 weeks due to possible symptoms of pre-e. Physically I felt like I could have made it another month, but once I hit 30 weeks, there's no way I could have continued working. I'm a teacher and I was on my feet all day and not able to drink enough water at all during the day. I was taken off of work due to my blood pressure being way too high and my feet swelling too much. Thankfully, my blood pressure dropped down to completely normal after a week of bedrest and stayed normal for the rest of the pregnancy.

12. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I asked this question around 26 weeks (when I was starting to get exhausted), and my OB said, "Your body will tell you." It told me at 29 weeks when it sent me to the hospital overnight for threatened preterm labor. Some people make it much longer -- I had also gained a LOT of weight (70 lbs by the end) and maybe that made a difference. Just make sure you're not pushing yourself too hard and be alert to any changes.

13. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

I worked until 35+3 but I had a desk job...I delivered at 36w due to pre-e

14. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

I worked until the friday before my twins were born, they were born at 37 weeks and 4 days. I could have worked even in the last week, but I wanted to be rested before the birth. Honeslty, I was feeling fine - other than getting tired easily and actually I ended up being more active at home in the last week, with last minute shopping almost daily and going up and down the stairs many times a day. I have a desk job so it wasn't too much effort for me. It was nice to be home the last week, my firends took me out for lunch and it was a special time for me. Good luck and I hope you feel fine until the end also.

15. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Your mom had twins??

I was put on modified bedrest at 25 weeks, but able to work from home for another 7 weeks.

As people said, every pregnancy is different, but if you are able to be written out, I would probably do in the next week or two. Enjoy the time before the twins come!

16. KeriU

KeriU Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the replies ladies!!! I did decide to take my leave starting this week. I actually had to call in sick because I felt I just couldn't do it anymore. I was exhausted by the time I got home and still had to take care of my two year old.

17. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I wish I had taken leave when my doctor suggeted it at 27 weeks. Mine started on our fall break when I was at 33 weeks. I had our girls at 35 weeks just two days shy of going back to work, which I would have done. I was completely miserable by that time and just so worn out! However, i didn't have the option of taking leave earlier than when I did.

1 person likes this.
  18. Leslie Heister

Leslie Heister New Member

This is my first pregnancy and we found out that we are expecting twins about two weeks ago.

I'm only 8.5 weeks, but I feel like I need to either quit or go down to part time. I teach 8th grade and I feel exhausted and nauseous all day long almost every day. I can't leave the class to run to the bathroom when I need to and I feel like my temper is really short with kids. I feel like a complete wuss, but I'm so stressed out and tired I just don't know what to do. I'm not sure if this is normal or not. I don't think it would be a problem if I had a desk job, but dealing with behavior problems all day and feeling the way I do has me just about at wit's end.

19. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Twin pregnancy is so exhausting! Early pregnancy even more so. If you can hang in, do. If it's too hard, you may have to leave work early. Make sure you listen to your body , though!

20. Adding 2 more!

Adding 2 more! Well-Known Member

I am a teacher in a middle school too. Is there anyway a neighbor teacher could help you when you have to go to the bathroom? I always have snacks and I have a jug of water everyday and I eat or drink whenever I need to...I am lucky bc my principal is supportive! I also teach while sitting on a stool or table top to help from becoming too tired. I have a four year old at home and when I get home she helps a lot and I am able to get a lot of rest at home too...hang in there!

21. michelle_m

michelle_m Well-Known Member

I'm hoping to work up until the very end, assuming I don't get put on bed rest. BUT I teach at a university, so the actual time I'm at school is limited and the rest of the work - lesson-planning, grading, etc. - can be done at home.

22. JoannaD

JoannaD Well-Known Member

Same here except that I'm an elementary teacher and don't have a 4 year old at home. I ate pretzels and crackers in front of the kids, drank water, sat on a chair or an empty desk. It was exhausting, but since I didn't have any other kids at home, I would go home and crash each evening. DH was great and took care of the house for the entire pregnancy.