When was the last time you went on vacation?

Discussion in 'General' started by becasquared, Mar 1, 2012.

1. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

In June 2011 we went to Hawaii for the week. Absolute best vacation ever (especially because we didn't pay for it!)
    August 2011 to Wilmington, NC...my dad is down there, but its vacation we stay for a week usually not with my dad.

My oldest and I just got back from 5 days in Texas for a gymnastics meet...that was so much fun (if she hadn't been sick most of the time!)

2. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We went to disney last summer in august, but had my bro in law and both dh's parents with us as reinforcements.

Every summer we go to Canada to visit family, and usually go camping with them.

However, other than that, we haven't had a real vaca in years, probably before we had the twins, camping at the beach was the last one. So 3+ yrs. But that isn't even doing "touristy" stuff, we just go to the beach and camp, that's it.

3. dollymomma

dollymomma Well-Known Member

We have never done an actual family vacation that didn't involve visiting family (we have done the odd long weekend away here and there, but nothing more). We just don't have the $$ for a big vacation. However, that said, Dh and I got to go on a Mexican cruise for a "business trip" which meant we didn't have to pay (other than the tips). That was in 2006. My best girlfriend loves travelling, but she's single, so guess who gets to go along? She has been so generous in taking me on her dime (it costs almost as much to travel alone than to travel together). She appreciates that my hubby lets me go away with her, and I appreciate that she takes me! And we have a BLAST when we travel :) We've done a Hawaiian cruise, 4 night Mexican cruise, Eastern Caribbean cruise, a couple trips to Vegas (she wants to see Donny and Marie, but they've cancelled both times we had tickets to go, which was the bummer of the year!), and we're going to an all-inclusive resort in Cancun in May. My hubby is a saint for allowing me to go, I'm sure he doesn't love being away from me, but he gives me the opportunity to go.

4. BellaRissa

BellaRissa Well-Known Member

I refuse to say anything good about divorce...it is horrible & I hate it.....but when my sweet girls go to spend time with their father it does leave me with time on my hands. I'm in a wonderful relationship with a man who loves to travel so I have been to Washington DC, Las Vegas, San Antonio/Austin/Dallas, Miami Beach & on a fantastic cruise over the past year. He's taking me to South Beach for 3 days & Manhattan for 4 days over Spring Break, we're going on another cruise in late June & to Sandals Royal Bahamaian in August. (He's going to Scotland in July to golf & on a mission trip to South Africa in May but I couldn't go because the girls were home.) I haven't had the nerve to go to Europe or Asia yet...it just seems too far away from the girls.
    We are trying to fit in a vacation with the girls this summer to Kentucky to see my mom & allow her to show the girls off to all her friends....we are going to visit family in Orlando for 3 weeks & will go to the beach, Disney, Sea World & Islands of Adventure...those things are so much fun for the girls that we are not too motivated to go anywhere else.

5. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

We went on a vacation (cruise) this past November. Before that, we stayed on the west side of the state for a week in August in a rented beach house. Now, I do have to say that we did not pay for either vacation. My Mom for some reason feels the need go on vacations a lot since my Dad passed away 3 years ago. I don't know if it's that she wants to show my kids what she and my Dad always wanted to or what, but she is very very generous. We would never be able to do any of that without her help.

6. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

I think of myself as such a traveller, so it's really weird to think back and realize that the last time we took an honest to goodness vacation was in 2003. DH and I spent two weeks in Iceland and Scotland. Since then it's just been visits to family and short weekend things. The girls and I have gone along on a few work conferences he had to fun places (San Diego, Florida, Las Vegas, etc.) and we have an RV for local camping trips. But that's it. No vacations in 9 years! It's all about to change, though... we're going to the Dominican Republic this Spring with my family for 8 days. I can't wait!!

7. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Last summer we went as a family (Mom included) to Brigantine, NJ for a week. Probably my most favorite beach on the Jersey shore. It's quiet and nice there.
    DH and I will be going for a long weekend to Vegas with one of my best friends and her husband in April.

8. mama_dragon

mama_dragon Well-Known Member

We went to Colorado for a week this past summer. It was perfect except one of the boys ended up with pneumonia and my mom and I spent a night with him in the ER. We stayed at an inexpensive family run hotel and did a lot of picnics to with the cost.

The year before we took the boys to Chicago by train for a long weekend.

This summer we are heading to the east coast.

We try to do something every year. Even if it is a trip to a national park and camping.

9. silver_stardust

silver_stardust Well-Known Member

Uhhhh .... vacation? what's that? gonna have to get back to you on that one. :laughing:

Does a honeymoon count? If so, that'd be it. So August of 2004. We're overdue. Really, overdue.

10. SuzyHolland

SuzyHolland Well-Known Member

we went to The States last year to my parent's cottage in CT.
    They paid...otherwise not possible. It was great to see my Mom's family and a very good friend since childhood.
    In may we have a long weekend with my boyfriends mothers family.

11. Christel

Christel Well-Known Member

We do 2 or 3 long weekends every other year. During the in-between years we go to Disney for a week.

12. LisaGoeke

LisaGoeke Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Our last vacation was October 2011. We drove to Disney, spent a few days at the parks, then took a 7 day cruise. Our next vacation is a 7 day cruise on the awesome Allure of the Seas! Since the kids have gotten older, we feel vacation is pretty important so we've been trying to take one a year and in the fall since it's a bit cooler and we get a fall break from school.

13. hudsonfour

hudsonfour Well-Known Member

I pack up and go away about 5-7 times a year...but this most likely wouldn't fall under the "vacation" categories..First, we have very little family to visit outside of where we live and when we do it is in a perfect vacation spot (Carmel, Ca 2010). Each summer we spend a week staying at the beach, but we only live an hour away. We also camp in great cabins all over FL for weekend many times each year. We do Disney about once a year, but it is very close and we have family that works at the park.
    What I want is a vacation at "I" am still not doing everything...meals, laundry, beds,...last time I had that was a pre kid cruise in 2004.

14. BellaRissa

I went on the Allure of the Seas last July - it was truly awesome....this June we're going on the Oasis of the Seas....you will LOVE your cruise! Which itinerary are you on?

15. 3under2!

3under2! Well-Known Member

Hmmm. We are heading across Alligator Alley in May to the Naples area for DH's aunt's wedding. I went to NY last September with Rivka for my best friend's wedding, but my parents live there too. We are going to NY sometime this summer so my grandparents can see the twins, but that's also family. DH and I went on a day trip to Philly when we lived in NJ and I was pregnant with Rivka, does that count?? Other than that, all trips have been to see family. We are kicking ourselves that we didn't take a trip to DC pre-kids when we lived in New Jersey!!! Or anywhere else. We didn't really have the money though.
    One day, many years from now...

16. LisaGoeke

LisaGoeke Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We will be doing the Western itinerary. We have not been to Falmouth Jamaica so that will be something new for us. We were on the Oasis October 2010 on the Western itinerary and absolutely loved it! I'm just so excited, October can't get here quick enough. I know you will have a fabulous time on the Oasis too!!!

17. momof5

momof5 Well-Known Member

2002 we went to Hilton Head. Just can't afford anything besides staying with his parents in Michigan for a week.....definitely NOT a vacation.

18. BellaRissa

Falmouth port is a big construction site...brand new & virtually empty. But we did an excursion to Dunn's River Falls & tubing on the White River - it was fantastic! You will love the ship....the shows....the clubs. We found a great dance party every night. We go when my girls are with their dad so I didn't experience what the ship was like for kids....but I remember seeing some pretty happy little ones in the Boardwalk area. Have a wonderful time!

19. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

I always have something in common with YOU!! :)

I haven't been anywhere since my honeymoon! We spent 16 Gs on IVF so that's that! Now I have three kids and no one to watch them AND no $ to go anywhere! Oh well. That's one of those things. This is it!

My husband's entire family lives in Italy and he's gone there 2 times since we met. I cry when I get asked to go cuz I'd rather hang myself than go. (Travelling with my kids would require medical sedation.)

So, I could go.. but I don't want to. And that's it! No dinero equals no vaca! And I'm only "sad" about it if I let myself think about it. There are a lot of things I have that millions of people will never have.

20. cwinslow7

cwinslow7 Well-Known Member

October 2011, Washington DC area :) My 25th high school reunion. Extended it to almost a week, took Patrick with. Did lots of touristy stuff, met some terrific TS friends :hug: , drank just enough and came home. Really made me realize that I've missed doing real vacations. Need to do more.

Visiting family wouldn't be so bad to include in a vaca if they didn't expect you to spend all your time with them. If they're like mine they always expect you to go to them too (my mom lives in a little town, closest McDs is 10 miles away, after I've driven 1200 miles to get there I usually get requested to drive another 20 or 30 miles each day to go visit someone else- WTF, I came this far- you need to haul your arse those last 20 miles to see me :aggressive: )

21. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Hey, I live in the DC area! And I met you then, so I must be one of your terrific TS friends! :wub:

22. Bestian

Bestian Well-Known Member

My job is rather specific. It is not hard to receive a vacation from your boss, but it is not so easy to earn enough money to spend this vacation nicely. That is why I had the vacation when I have participated in the online lottery and won nice money. You can just click vào đây and find some platform for you. Maybe it can help you to earn something too.