When will babies start being on a schedule?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Ice cream, May 15, 2015.

1. Ice cream

Ice cream Member

When can I expect my boys to be on some sort of schedule and differentiate somewhat between night and day? They are 6 weeks old today.

2. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

I think my twins were 8 weeks old when I started figuring out their schedule. 

3. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

mine took till nearly 3 months

4. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

I want to say my boys were in the 2-3 month range.  With my daughter, I don't think she was on a schedule until close to a year.  With a 2-3 year old in the house, it was hard to get her on a schedule. 

5. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

My twins started having predictable routines which I could start working with (mainly nudging them closer together into one routine for both) around 10-12 weeks.

6. Maisie7881

Maisie7881 Member

For us it started around 12 weeks.

7. pretty girl

pretty girl Well-Known Member

Day 1. Seriously. Like freaking clock work

8. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

In terms of eating, Day 1.  They came home eating every 4 hours during the day, and when they woke to eat at night--during the day, we would wake them to eat at the 4 hour mark if needed.  For sleep, about 3 months when they started sleeping 12 hours at night.  Around 8 weeks old, they dropped the 1-2 am feeding, and would eat at 11-12, then 6.  Starting at 3 months, they would sleep from 8 to 8, then we started 2 regular 2 hour naps--and never looked back.

9. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My boys turned 6 years old in May and I feel like we will have some predictability any day now :p

Just kidding. My boys were always very regular eaters, but sleeping was always a bit of a gong show. They started sleeping through the night at 12 weeks, and then stopped during teething and colds and then nap schedules change etc. I think sleep schedules are a bit of a myth. I don't mean this to be discouraging at all; just to lower your expectations a little and know that as long as you have your consistent routines (darkened rooms, snuggly jammies, whatever your routine is), they're well rested, and you're getting as much as you can manage, then you're doing all right. At 6 weeks especially you're in the whatever works phase.