When you are teaching them something

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by MarchI, Oct 10, 2010.

1. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

How do you work with both babies? Do you work one on one per day/session or do you try and alternate during a session? For teaching the spoon, I know Henry is more interested than Jacob so I am working with Henry and next week I will work on Jacob. The same for walking, holding my hand. I am working more with Jacob because he is more resistant than Henry. I just wonder if it is more effective to be teaching them both at the same time. Any thoughts?

2. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I think that is a good way to do it. There is only one of you, so rotating with each child is something you will have to incorporate more and more.

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree. With some things, they've seemed to be interested at the same time and others, I've had to do one on one. Good luck!

4. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I usually try to encourage them both to start something, but I tend to focus on the one child who is more interested until they get it, then start on the other one. They like to copy their brother, so I if I get one doing something, the other will follow. Unfortunately this is also true for negative behaviours, and the reason why both of them had crayon coloured poop last week.

5. PumpkinPies

PumpkinPies Well-Known Member

Too funny!

6. 5280babies

5280babies Well-Known Member

Many times I ask them who wants to do something with me or practice something. Sometimes they both respond but usually one is first to respond and her sister watches and then has to take a turn. With things like spoons I admit I didn't try that hard. I just gave them to them, then I sat at the table and ate with my spoon. They just try to imitate - took them a while but they felt so grown up with utensils. Still on things now, if they are struggling I say "mommy help" and I will guide them and let them try on their own. Makes for messy meals but it is a fun way of learning. We just move through our day tackling little things and especially now, everything is so fascinating to them that the hardest thing for me is when someone doesn't want to wait their turn.