When you named your kids

Discussion in 'General' started by becasquared, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Jen620

Jen620 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

As a baby Annie was sweet pea, then just pea. Now she's sometimes Annie Bananie. Jo is our Jo-bean or JoJo-Bean, or Josephine-bean. As for Ellie, as a baby she was smelly Ellie or yelly Ellie. Now she's Ellie-belly, or we call her Rosie, our family nickname for her from her middle name. But to me she's Bug. She's just my bug. An Ellie-bug, a Rosie-bug, or my Ellie-Rosie-bug. She's just so tiny and cute as a bug!

I never thought about the "bad" nicknames that could be rhymed or made from their names. Maybe we should have. I'm sure the kids will think of something.

I was "Shorty" to a teacher for few years. I'm 4'8" now, and looking at my baby book I was Ellie sized (4 years old, 31 pounds, wearing hand me down 3Ts, some of which the pants need a pin). I was also known by my last name, Tilli, to my friends because their were 4 other Jennifers in my grade during elementary school.

2. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

ahhhahahahahhh

ETA: When she gets older just tell her that you have a really good sense of humor and it was either her or her sister and she got lucky.

3. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

Yes...my husband and I tried to think of all the crazy names kids might call them. We scratched off many names because of the name calling factor. Isn't that sad!!

4. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

Oh yeah. Our last name rhymes with Lucas, Thomas, Jonas... So those names were out.
    We eliminated Adam because with our last name it would sound like Adam Carolla. Can't stand him.

I don't know what nickname will go with Aaron. I call him Aaroncito. Jacob is JJ (from when he couldn't pronounce his name), Jacobo or Jacobito. All the nicknames stem from raising them bilingual English/Spanish.

5. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Surprisingly (to me!) we get that a lot. Or an uncomfortable silence which is better than when I was pregnant & people would argue the choice. We call him Mr. O (if he's nasty). :laughing:

6. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

I went to school with Frank Allen Grimes poor boy had a very hard time- I made sure my kids initials did not spell anything! I wanted to name one of my girls Emerson but my dh kept saying "Emersome big uns" so we didn't :rolleyes:

My oldest sons name is Tad. He is actually a jr but we started calling him Tad before we even knew he was a boy - it stuck and no one calls him by his true name he has always been Tad. SO!! he used to be Tadpole to all family but once he got a little age on him he HATED to be called Tadpole so I have just now learned to control myself and stick to plain Tad.

My middle child is Jared. The girls and I call him Bear or Jer Bear - he hates it in public but I try to control myself the girls on the other hand don't know not to call him Jer Bear where ever we go!

Dawson has slways been the Dawsonator - he was born one tough guy!!

I call Ava and Addison Avie and Addi most of the time

I never meant to call any of them nicknames but it just happened!

7. happybearsfan

happybearsfan Well-Known Member

I thought it through ... and did it anyway! DH and I are heavy, and I was sometimes "Fatty Patty" growing up. Even knowing how unpleasant it was, I had to name my son Matthew.

<--- praying for no "Fat Matt" episodes

8. happybearsfan

happybearsfan Well-Known Member

I can't stop laughing at "Emersome big uns" - your DH is hilarious!!

Poor Frank Allen Grimes. :( There was a Simpsons episode with Frank Grimes, who everyone called "Grimey."

9. becasquared

:rotflmbo:

10. SC_Amy

SC_Amy Well-Known Member

Yep, I definitely thought about it. But my dad and brother (and countless others I have known--mostly men, for some reason, including a former boss :p) are total punsters, so I think growing up hearing all the punny quips and nicknames they came up with trained my brain to think through that when considering names. Of course, Dad still managed to get around that by saying, "Alex and Will? A&W? They're the root beer twins!" I was annoyed at first but then decided to embrace it and it inspired my blog name. ;)

11. twindependent

twindependent Well-Known Member

I wanted a Chester until my husband promptly pointed out that Chester rhymes with molester. :(

12. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

Totally.

I liked Nathan but Nate is to take a sh!t. Once I realized that I just couldn't name our child that!

13. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

Heh???

14. becasquared

One of my grandfather's calls A&R together "Model A's" because R's middle name is "Alexander". Silly old man.

15. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

[quote name='Nate and Jack's Mom' date='11 June 2010 - 08:41 AM' timestamp='1276274496' post='1648339']
    Heh???
    [/quote]

Nate is a slang for taking a poop. :pardon:

16. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

Seriously?? I've never heard of that and I've lived in several parts of the country!

17. twinbears

twinbears Well-Known Member

So is Lester which is my husbands name and he was called that all through school. BUt he has a I don't care I will laugh with you type attitude :laughing: Which NOT all kids have so we I had to stop him at wanting Lester the 3rd.

18. 2plusbgtwins

2plusbgtwins Well-Known Member

I didnt think about that much at all when I names my kids, but we gave our kids unique names, so Im hoping we wont have issues with the jokes.

My oldest is Treyvon.. we call him Trey.. cant think of anything that rhymes to make a joke
    My second is Sanai.. We called her Nai-nai when she was a baby. We call her Sa-noo-noo-ma-foo-foo now..
    The twins are Jahnessa and Jahsiah.

I cant think of anything off hand that would be a funny rhyming, joking type name for any of them. But we'll see. My brother seems to think the twins will be called Jenny and Jessy.. I dont see where he gets that idea. We sometimes shorten them, but we use the last half of their names; i.e. Nessa and Siah