where are they vaccinated?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by axpan, Nov 19, 2007.

1. axpan

axpan Well-Known Member

My girls got two vaccinations yesterday (influenza and pneumonococus) and the pedi did the shots one on each upper arm. I thought that was strange because till now all the shots (including these same ones) where done on the upper leg. She told me that after they are 12 months old they do it on the arms. Does this sound right to you? It just didn't feel right to me.
    Thanks.

2. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

I brought my two in for flu shots at MY 17 week OB dr's appt. and they still did the legs. My dh even commented on that and they said that still at this age, that is the part with the most 'meat.'

3. dawnmj

dawnmj Well-Known Member

Our pedi switched to arms at 12 months. He told me it was because they are walking and the arms are less painful.

4. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Ours did the arms around that time too. Another consideration is that they are getting stronger, and it is easier to hold the arm steady than the leg.

5. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

mine got their last set of shots at 16 mos and they did legs...of course I have SKINNY kids and that really is the meatiest part...it didn't affect their walking at all...

6. avaoliviamom

avaoliviamom Well-Known Member

Arms usually after 12 months due to walking but it does not really matter where they get them.

7. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Arms since walking. Flu shot a few weeks ago was in their legs as it was easiest to get too.

8. Chris S.

Chris S. Well-Known Member

We got our flu shots last week and they still gave them in their legs.

9. littletwinstars

littletwinstars Well-Known Member

Ours had their 12 month vaccinations in their legs and they just had their flu shots (at 18 months) in their arms. They were walking at 9-11 months so I don't think that was the reason. I can understand wanting to administer the shot in a "meatier" location, but it does puzzle me why this recent flu shot was given in their arms (they are in the 10th and 25th percentile for weight).

10. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(dawnmj @ Nov 20 2007, 06:43 AM) [snapback]503071[/snapback]
    Our pedi switched to arms at 12 months. He told me it was because they are walking and the arms are less painful.

That is what the nurse told me as well. (the nurses gives the vaccines at my girls pedi's office)

11. ames4

ames4 Well-Known Member

My oldest DD who is almost 3 got her flu shot and a Hep A in her leg about 2 weeks ago.

12. axpan

axpan Well-Known Member

Thanks for your posts. Next time I'll make her do it in the thigh. She said something about better absorption in the arm but I've never heard anything like that. As for the meatier part, both mine are skinny minnies so the thigh is the only place with some extra meat on it. Also, Nefeli isn't walking yet so that does it for the walking reason that was mentioned by some.
    I've seen all the vaccinations say specifically to do it in the thigh which is why I thought it was so strange.

13. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

Ours were all in the thighs. Never heard of them in the arms before.

14. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

All in the thighs.

15. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Our ped has always done the shots in the leg, but I think when we got flu shots last month, the nurse actually did say she could do it in the arm if we wanted.