Where did my sweet kids go?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by ckreh, Nov 9, 2010.

1. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

Oh my has this been a crazy few days of ATTITUDES. DD seems to be bossy and whiny while DS is running around crazy and cries hysterically if you tell him no. I don't know where these attitudes came from. Just when I think it can't get any worse it does :headbang: . Last night after we put them to bed DH said, "I'm sorry to say this, but she was a little B**** today". It leaves me wondering where did my sweet kids go and will they ever return? Thanks for letting me vent.

2. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Ugh, they do seem to go through phases where the attitude is worse than at other times! I can never figure out what causes it. Growth spurt maybe? :hug: Hopefully, it will be a short phase!

3. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

I had a whole response typed out... hopefully I remember it.

I was going through this several weeks ago... anyway, I went with a friend to a parenting seminar by www.BeckyBailey.com her books that I have are "Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline" and "I Love You Rituals".

here are 4 main things I've picked up.

#1 spend some undivided attention with the kids. Set a 30 min. timer and play with them. no phone, internet or interuptions.

#2 quit saying "no" and instead tell them what you WANT them to do(this is hard!). instead of "no, quit standing on the chair" say "put your bottom on the chair", or "feet on the floor"

#3 give them 2 positive choices. like when they are fussing to go to bed or brush their teeth ask them "do you want to bounce or hop" to go to bed/brush your teeth.

#4 learn some of the I Love you rituals and do them with your kids every day. its a special time between you and your kids. learn one for you and one for your husband... that you have your own.

1 person likes this.
  4. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

anyway, what I was also going to say is that (maybe I'm in a better non PMS part of the month... or) things seem to have gotten a fair amount better. And when I try to remain calm and not let them escalate me into screaming back things remain much calmer!

good luck!! last month I was in tears many days b/c I felt emotionally beat up by the two little people in my house!!