Where do your 2 year-olds sleep when traveling?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by michelleandalexh, Oct 16, 2008.

1. michelleandalexh

michelleandalexh New Member

We've kept our 27 month old twins in cribs until now, but go away for a weekend every month or two and are finding they have outgrown their pack-n-plays! (They're pretty tall for their age.)

I'm thinking we can "train" them to sleep somewhere else, but imagining we need to have some special place rather than just just blankets on the floor. What do people use when traveling to designate "this is where we sleep"? Sleeping bags? Those little inflatable beds? Bring bedrails for hotel beds?

They're still in that stage where they pivot around quite a bit when sleeping, so I'm not quite sure they'd be safe on a bed without some protection.

Ideas???

2. rematuska

rematuska Well-Known Member

We got those sleeping bags with the inflatable insert underneath. They are Disney princess, and I have 2 out of 3 of my girls who love to sleep in them, and think it's a special treat. I'm still working on my lone holdout.

This is it but we got ours at Target. They also have boy themed and gender neutral themed ones. My girls are just all about Disney princesses.

3. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

We have one of those beds that Emily has! My oldest likes it a lot but he started using it at 3 so I am not sure how they would be at 2.5! Good luck!

4. rheamay

rheamay Well-Known Member

I got my oldest a ready bed when he was 2 or so. He just fell off it since he was a wild sleeper. We camp a lot and all the boys just sleep on the ground with lots of blankets. I'm thinking of getting them a big inflatable mattress that they can all wiggle around on together and it's close to the ground so it won't matter if they fall off.

5. ehm

ehm Banned

Do you go to the same place each time, like you could bring something there and leave it? We have a summer house and at the beginning of the season when they were two I purchased two flip open sofas. They loved them and stayed in them perfectly. They doubled as a couch which was great at home during the winters too! I wouldn't want to drive with them back and forth each weekend though they worked great a season long solution. We used them for several years!

6. HRE

HRE Well-Known Member

Hey, these are lots of great ideas! We just use blankets and sleeping bags on the floor all the time. My sister always uses the blow up mattresses, they are so easy to blow up and down and travel easily.

7. kajulie

kajulie Well-Known Member

we got the pea pod plus's from one step ahead. they are awesome and my girls love sleeping in "their tents"..

8. Stephanie M

Stephanie M Well-Known Member

We just purchased the Delux Inflatable Bed from One Step Ahead. My children have not used them yet so I can't really say how they do. However, my SIL has one and she's very happy with it.

9. agolden

agolden Well-Known Member

A question about those blow-up bed things. I'm going to be in the same position in February. The boys will be 18 months and will have been in a crib their whole lives. Has anybody gone from crib to blow-up bed back to crib? Anybody's kids become wild things because they are not trapped in their cribs? Anybody have trouble putting their kids back in their cribs after their taste of freedom?
    Thanks

10. ehm

ehm Banned

I didn't used the blow ups, used the flip opens but yes, we went from crib at home to flip open at the summer house with no problem. They were not wild when we were using the flip opens, probably because they were soo tired but honestly, we had no trouble with either transition to the open when away from home or back to crib at home.

11. LanieK

LanieK Well-Known Member

We always got a hotel room with 2 beds even when they were about 17-18 months... Hubby slept with one and pillows on the other side and I slept with the othe boy and my dd on the other side! Luckily we are all exhausted and go to bed with them at 8 or 9!!! It has always worked for us!
    Lanie

12. naomi02

naomi02 Well-Known Member

We take the kids' special blankets & pillows that they sleep with every night, so pretty much where their "night nights" are is where they'll sleep. We had to go out of town this summer & stay at a hotel, so we got a room with 2 queens......dh & I each took a bed with 1 kid. They did so much better than I thought! And it also really set the tone for when we got home & took the side rails off the cribs. They did fall off the bed about 2 times :( , but then that was it.

13. TFine

TFine Well-Known Member

My little cousin is 5 and super tall. He wont sleep anywhere but in his Pack n'play on vacation. he curls up all cute and sleeps in it.

I was kind of hoping my kids would be like him. :)

14. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

We also have the Peapods. They still sleep in them at my parents' house, and if we traveled, I would probably bring them. I like not worrying about them being loose in an un-childproofed room.

15. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

Thanks to whoever mentioned the Peapod Plus! My kids are huge, and I don't see them in Pack n' Plays for much longer....also, they're such a pain to travel with. I think I'll have to splurge on the Peapods!

When Nadia was 2, we just stacked a couple of sleeping bags and blankets on the floor for her, and it worked okay. But, sleeping bags are also bulky to travel with, so I'm liking the Peapod idea -- and, I want them contained, too.

Thanks again!

16. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Ours sleep in the bed with us.

17. cclott

cclott Well-Known Member

QUOTE(ehm @ Oct 17 2008, 03:13 AM) [snapback]1029483[/snapback]
    Do you go to the same place each time, like you could bring something there and leave it? We have a summer house and at the beginning of the season when they were two I purchased two flip open sofas. They loved them and stayed in them perfectly. They doubled as a couch which was great at home during the winters too! I wouldn't want to drive with them back and forth each weekend though they worked great a season long solution. We used them for several years!

Do you have a link to one of those? I think I know what you are talking about, and if it is the same thing I want to get a couple of them to keep at my mom's house...

Thanks!

18. ehm

ehm Banned

19. li li

li li Well-Known Member

A question about those blow-up bed things. I'm going to be in the same position in February. The boys will be 18 months and will have been in a crib their whole lives. Has anybody gone from crib to blow-up bed back to crib? Anybody's kids become wild things because they are not trapped in their cribs? Anybody have trouble putting their kids back in their cribs after their taste of freedom?

From the age of 17 months our two have napped on mattresses on the floor at daycare and are still very happy to sleep in their cots at night. Also, we were away a couple of weeks back and just took the cot mattresses with us, the girls slept happily on them at night (wouldn't nap but that's another story) and were happy to return to their cots when we got back.

20. cclott

cclott Well-Known Member

QUOTE(ehm @ Oct 20 2008, 08:34 PM) [snapback]1034074[/snapback]
    This type has a sleeping bag (I don't think they made these when mine were little) http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?...ci_sku=10339993

Here is the kind we had http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2885561

Yep! That's what I thought they were...I looked on the walmart site yesterday and could only find those big ones that were 80$ a piece. I think for weekend trips to Grammie's they would love those, and they would double for chairs while they are awake! Excellent!!

Thanks!!!