where were you really done w/all the baby stuff?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by happychck, Aug 22, 2010.

1. happychck

happychck Well-Known Member

i am so curious about this!! i know a lot of families stress eliminating bottles at a certain age, but i'm wondering when people were done w/ALL the baby stuff: high chairs, strollers, cribs, etc. it seems like we are doing things in a different order than most...

we haven't used a stroller since my very active guys were 2 (finally sold our bob--the only double we had--when they were about 2.5). (btw, we do have a wagon that we use to go to the park across the street most of the time, but that's not really a "baby" item). we use our high chairs sometimes now because we moved just before they were 2 and haven't gotten chairs for our kitchen table yet, lol! so, when we all eat together, they use them (otherwise, we have a toddler table in the living room). we got out of cribs when we moved, as well.... so, almost everything we got when they were babies is gone--however, but we're only just now starting to eliminate the bottles! this has been a really hard one for my little guys. he is so attached and our pedi just kept saying not to worry about it. but i've just decided we need to do this--however slowly.

i'm just wondering if anyone else was a little slow in just one or two areas. or when was it all eliminated?!

thanks,
    jl

2. mhardman

mhardman Well-Known Member

I b/f so we never had to get rid of bottles. WE have been out of sippy cups since just past 2, too much trouble. We got out of cribs at 20 mo as they were climbing out. Mine have booster seats since like 18 mo so they sit up to the table with us but higher so less mess. We still have stroller but only use it if we will be out somewhere all day and don't want to carry bag and kids when they get tired.

PS- we still are using bibs at meals. I have homemade ones made out of kitchen towels with a head hole. It keeps their clothes nicer adn they put them off and on so it is no trouble. I know most people are done way before this but DS loves to wipe his face on the bib as he drips. If it is not there it is on his shirt instead. We also eat tons of fruit in the summer and they all stain.

3. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

We got rid of bottles around 14 months... We held them and fed them one at a time until then, so they never held their bottles until the last month or so, and didn't really get attached to them, so switching to sippies was very easy.

High chairs just a month ago so at 29 months (our table was round and the chairs unstable, we got a new set and now they sit without booster at the dining table), bibs at 17 months if that because they kept taking them off anyway, but yes we still have to change shirts a lot... I still use the stroller most of the time when I take them out by myself (actually laughed the other day because some people take their 3 yo singleton to the mall with a stroller and I had my two by myself without stroller... lol). We're still in cribs, and no intention to change that until they climb out, or they are 3.5, whichever comes first.

Oh and pacifiers at 4 months.

4. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

We stuck with bottles much later than most. They were mostly on cups by 14 months, but still had a night-time bottle until 18 months. As for the other stuff, the girls gave up pacifiers themselves by six months, we switched to beds at 20 months, ditched bibs around the same age, and sippy cups by 2.5. We still have our double Bob but it's only been used three times in the past year - all for airport trips where I was the only adult. So we basically gave up the stroller around 2 - 2.5. Technically my girls still sit in highchairs, but they're the Keekaroo kind that look mostly like real chairs, so I'm not sure that counts. And since the weight limit is 250 pounds and you can change the seat and footboard placement as your kids grow, my kids will be using highchairs until they're adults!

5. chrystalvaughn

chrystalvaughn Well-Known Member

My girls will be 2 tomorrow and I just within the last 2 weeks took them off of there last bottle that they always had at nap time. It wasn't an issue at all. High chairs we still use and will continue until they start getting antsy in them or just refuse them. I tried at the regular table and it didn't work so well. One of them has a pacifier and I don't intend to take that away until she is 3. She only has it at nap and night time and only in the crib for sleep. They still sleep in cribs and will do so until they start climbing out or request a big girl bed.

6. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

We still have the strollers because I keep thinking we might need them for something, but we really haven't used them since they were 25-26 months old. We stopped bottles at 15 months. We are still using sippy cups. In fact, we're still using the stage 1 Playtex sippies. They are still in good condition and they like them, so I figure it's not hurting anything. They can drink out of regular cups and do occasionally. Annelise still sleeps in a crib, but Karina does not. Annelise quit sucking her fingers on her own when she turned 2 (weird!) and we just took away Karina's pacifier about a month ago. That was a tough one. I can't remember when we stopped using high chairs, but I'm guessing it was just before they turned two. They are in boosters at the table now.

ETA: My girls still use bibs.

7. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

We were done with bottles by 9 months. They had the nuby sippies till about 18 months. We had a sippie at night for a long time but just water in it. The stroller was gone a bit after 2 because they kept leaning forward and sticking their fingers in the wheels. High chairs were gone at 2(switched to in chair ones at 1 yr).

8. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

we still use the bob at 3.5 - we sometimes take longer walks around the neighborhood or the kids join me on my walk. But when we are out and about, we don't need a stroller.
    We also still have wipes around (they come in handy), but I don't see the stroller as a baby item.
    We have sippy cups for their milk (but they have the open spout, just the stopper) - for us that will probably be the last baby thing. And I'm in no hurry cause I love holding them for their nighttime bottle.

9. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

We were done with most of that stuff at age 2, though we're still using the stroller at nearly age 5! We're weird that way, though. Bottles were done at 15 months, booster seats (we never used high chairs) at their 2nd birthday, superyard around 15 months too, cribs at 3y3m (late transition there too -- and I'm so glad we waited!).

We do still use tons of Take & Toss Sippies -- I don't think of that as baby stuff. They're just so useful for drinks in the car, stroller, wagon, etc. -- anywhere other than sitting at a table.

We are still using a potty chair, too, because Sarah just seems to prefer it.

10. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Bottles, our two were off of them at 15 months, so we recycled them.
    The high chairs converted to booster seats and we can pull them up to the table and the kids can eat with us, trayless & using the table, so we still have them.
    Strollers, we still have for quick shopping trips and long walks.
    Cribs, my DS is still in a crib and probably will be until he turns 3. DD's crib converts to a toddler bed, so that's what she has right now.
    My two were never really attached to pacifiers, still use sippy cups (can drink out of regular cups but I'm not ready for the mess) and I still have the gate up only because I feel like the upstairs is the only safe haven sometimes for the cats, since the kids will follow them around and the cats just want to sleep. And my two are obsessed with stairs and the upstairs and they will not come down.
    Still using potty seats, DD is not comfortable with the big potty and DS is not trained yet.
    My monitors I have given away, we stopped using the video monitor around 6 months when they were no longer sharing a room and all the baby toys, we gave away.

11. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

I thought about this on Saturday when we went to the mall and after about an hour they went into melt down from being in the stroller. They are crazy when out of it and still stumble a bit when walking long distances, so we use it when we know we will be out for awhile.

I was happy that at the restaurant for lunch they did booster seats instead of high chairs. Unfortunately at home they fight sitting at the table and want their high chairs, so I figure all in due time.

I think the cribs will be turned into toddler beds soon because Max has started to try to climb out. Once DH hears a thud he will switch them, but until then he wants the control of a crib.

12. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

We got rid of the superyard at 15 months and gates just a month ago (we still have one for the storage room next to the kitchen where the litterbox/cat food are).
    We still use sippies because if DS gets mad he will throw everything, and I don't feel like cleaning milk from the walls and carpet. Plus they drink way too much from regular cups, the novelty I guess.
    We still use diapers, and my kids still sleep with their sleep sacks, although they're not in them anymore.

13. nurseandrea02

nurseandrea02 Well-Known Member

Let's see...we got rid of bottles at 11mos, stroller around 25-26mos (and minimal use around that time...we only use the wagon now for SUPER long walks), highchairs at 13 mos (they're still in boosters at the table for their comfort...they do fine without), spouted sippies at 2.5 (now only straw or the tumblers w/o spouts), pacis at 2 mos (although Aiden still sucks his thumb, but we're working on that), diapers at 27mos, potty chairs at 30mos, & we converted their cribs to toddler beds at 30mos.

We probably won't get rid of sippies for a LONG time because I hate the mess, although they drink from open cups at all meals. We may use bibs for forever because I can't stand messes & my boys are messy...saves me a load of laundry!

I had forgotten about most of these things since it seems like ages ago that we had 'baby' stuff in the house. However, when the boys were sick this past week, DH & I commented that they must REALLY be big kids now because we used chewable Ibuprofen instead of the liquid. Funny how we associated THAT with 'big kids' & not a lot of the other stuff. The first time we felt we lost a lot of 'baby stuff' was when we packed up the swing, exersaucer, jumperoo, bumbos, & bouncy seats....that was a huge day for us!

14. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

I BF'd, but they used an occasional bottle. Once they were declared FTT and could take pediasure they were only on sippy cups. We still use those and will. They still have a morning, nap, and nightly sippy of pediasure and milk mixture, due to FTT. We can't get rid of them until they start growing properly.
    The cribs were gone over a year ago.
    The high chairs longer than that.
    No more toddler silverware. I still use plastic plates for them. I can't trust them to not break our dishes, LOL.
    The stroller is rarely used anymore and will be pitched in the trash with rejoicing pretty soon!!! We only keep it for the rare occasions at hockey tournaments, if they fall asleep.
    The last "baby" items they are really using full time are their car seats. They are still in a 5-30 lb seat. If they gain weight we could finally get them a harnessed booster. I don't see that happening till maybe 4, and that's praying for a 4 lb gain.
    The diaper bag was gone a while ago. YAY! The cloth diapers are being given to a family member as they no longer use them either.
    Oh yeah, gates...we took them down about a month ago. But they weren't actually closed for long before that. Now we just lock doors to keep them out. LOL
    I keep editing for more. Tee Hee
    We still use a toilet seat that makes a smaller hole so they don't fall through. It attaches to the real seat and opens and closes just like the lid. Until they grow it has to stay.

15. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

Bottles were out of the house at 12 months for the twins and 12 months for my youngest. They are all still in cribs.. We still use the double stroller and single stroller quite a bit. And they still use sippy cups around the house and in the car. We never had the normal high chairs we had the booster seats from the beginning but they still use the tray on most days since it's just easier.
    Since our youngest is our last we sell or donate what ever they grow out of or don't use.

16. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We still have our toddler silverware, jake prefers it and we travel with it (more to have in hotel rooms than because they can't use real silverware). We also have the Ikea cups, bowls and plates just because they are easy. Sometimes we give the kids our nice plates, but just as often I use their Ikea plates. So i don't view those as kid items so much as convenience items at this point. Also they are good for portion control!

17. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Mine are nearly 5 and they still use plastic plates and toddler silverware. I would be willing to give them up at this point, but the kids are really attached to them and it's not that big a deal. They also still use Stokke chairs (that they switched into at age 2), but my niece still uses hers at age 9, so I don't think of that as a baby thing either.

However, when our last round of cheapo toddler silverware from the $1 bin at Target breaks, I refuse to buy any more! :rolleyes:

18. Aeliza

Aeliza Well-Known Member

They were done with their bottles at about 12 months. They are still on straw sippy cups, but they are drinking from regular cups at their preschool so it's just a matter of time we can get rid of the sippy cups completely. They were out of their cribs at about 20 months. There were no toddler beds to worry about. I have not put them in their double stroller since about 20 months. It's collecting dust and spider webs in our garage now. I'm not ready to completely give up their single strollers, but they haven't used those since maybe 22 months. If we go on any long walking trips like to the zoo, we may need the strollers at that time. They still use bibs, but they are not really doing the job anymore. They also don't use bibs at preschool, so that too will be going once I gain enough confidence that I can actually get those stains out of their clothes. I don't have much luck with laundry and stains. They do like to lounge in their boppy pillows. They don't need them and I don't use them, but they have become floor decoration while they do still lounge in them. They no longer use their pacifiers. They stopped that just about 24 months...maybe 23 months? I have the posts here somewhere that would say when that was. They do use forks and spoons well, but I still use the ones with the fat handles to make them easier to grasp. They have plastic plates so they don't toss the good ones.

19. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We still have sippy cups (take and toss mostly) and one umbrella stroller. Other than those (and pacifiers which were ditched at 30 months), we got rid of everything between 10 months (bottles) and 20 months (beds)