Which mattress?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by jolcia17, Jun 10, 2013.

1. jolcia17

jolcia17 Well-Known Member

I don't have the slightest clue about mattresses. What is a good mattress to get for a 2.5 year old? It's time for us to get rid of the cribs and so we are gonna be having two full size beds. Can anyone suggest anything?

2. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

We got the cheapest mattress at Ikea. It comes rolled up. It's decently comfy when I lay on it and totally fine for kids who don't need lumbar support.

3. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

Similar story here. We bought cheap mattresses from Sam's Club - $230 for each Night Therapy full size mattress. It also came rolled up in box. It is not double sided (meaning it cannot be flipped), but is more comfortable than our $1200 mattress!!!

One thing I did not consider when buying a mattress was the height. The one we purchased was 13". While it is super comfortable, it was a little high for my 2.5 year olds. It is fine now that they are 4. Kind of hard changing sheets with such a large mattress. We also had to add extra wooden slats to their bed and support them from underneath. The full size mattress sagged in the middle and one of the supports broke when my husband got into the bed. You can do this by buying a bunky board, which adds support to the mattress like a box spring would but without the height. We were too cheap to buy two $100 bunky boards so we did a $35 fix! The convertible crib kit didn't include one, but I think it TOTALLY should have!

I also want to give BIG props to the waterproof mattress cover we bought from Linens and Things. Handles accidents great and washes clean and soft, no vinyl.

Happy shopping!

4. rrodman

The good things about the Ikea one are price (around $100), weight (light and easy to change sheets), not too thick (5-6 inches?), reversible, and I think it has a zip off cover for washing but I may have lost my mind.

And definitely get a waterproof mattress pad--or two or three so you have extras when you need to wash.

5. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yeah, we have an Ikea mattress too, and you're right Rachael, the entire top zips off to be washed.

I guess the question is, are you looking for a bed to last them until they leave the house? I wasn't. I was looking for something that would last for about 7-10 years. I figure by the time they're teenagers, they might want a bed without a footboard (depending on their height), so we would buy something nicer at that point.

6. rrodman

My goal was the same as Bex. We bought twin beds and intend them to last until teenage years.

7. jolcia17

Same here. I am looking for something probably till their teenage years. I am def not looking to spend 1000 on them. Just want them to be comfortable and good for their growing bodies. Thank you everyone

8. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

We went to a mattress store and got their mattresses for around $250 each. I figure they will last until they are early teenagers and then decide on the future needs. They are pretty comfortable, even for an adult to sleep on.

9. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We have mattress's from big lots, so probably about the same quality as ikea or sams club ones. I think the twins were $150 each, and our oldest was $175 (I got him the pillow top).

Now, I will say, he is saying it's not very comfortable to sleep on, so we're looking to get him a better mattress now at 11 yrs old. So we'll try to get him one maybe this fall.

10. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

We got their bunkbeds (which we use as twin beds) and mattresses from Costco. I didn't do a whole lot of research, other than to make sure the mattresses were low enough to fit with the bunks.

11. jolcia17

Thank u for all ur replies. So another question, the girls share a room. Should I stick with two separate beds (size full) or get them one big bed size queen that they can share? Any thoughts?

12. rrodman

Separate beds.

13. jolcia17

Thank you!

14. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

When we bought twin beds for the girls we bought good mattresses with the intent that the girls' would have them for years. We have a mattress warehouse nearby that offers excellent prices on mattresses, so we bought Sealy Moon something...maybe moonlight or something like that...pillowtop. Got them for about $200 each (that included the box springs). Really happy with them. They are so comfortable that many times my husband and I will take naps on them instead of in our own bed (we desperately need a new mattress!)

Just wanted to add...we had toddler beds until the girls were 4...so they were 5 and a bit older when we went to twin beds.

15. jolcia17

Thank you. Their cribs switch to full size beds that's why we are giving them bigger beds.