Who gets a full nights sleep?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by DATJMom, Feb 27, 2010.

1. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Anyone? :gah:

Derek gets up every night at least once to go potty. He always comes to my side of the bed. Or he wants to sleep in our bed. So I take him back and forth to his room multiple times. I dont want him in our bed.

Leah gets up at least twice a week for something :rolleyes:

Tyler is my ONLY sleeper and he is still in diapers. So I know once he night trains he will be up too. :angry:

I am thinking that DH and I need to take nights so that one of us can get some consistent sleep. I feel like we are in the FY all over again. Well, not really...

2. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

:crazy: me too!! Dh and I do switch nights and it's the only way I can get a full nights sleep. Even then I wake up but I don't have to "get" up.
    If it's not one kid it's another. :headbang: I feel your pain.

3. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

:escape:

Don't hate me, but my kids are generally very good sleepers. I have one that tends to wake up a bit early, but has learned the things he's allowed to do to occupy himself till we get up. It's pretty rare than any of them gets up in the middle of the night. Is it something new that's going on with your kiddos or something that's been going on all along/a long time?

4. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

oh great, another thing to look forward too... when potty trained/training... ugh! hope you get some sleep soon!!

5. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

I also feel like the first year sometimes! I can sometimes get a few nights in a row without them waking but sometimes they wake a few nights in a row and I want to scream!

They either call me because they need to go to the bathroom or want water. I leave a cup in their bed but tried taking the cup out so they would not have to pee but then they call be to bring them water because they are so thirsty.

I just bought them new pjs that dont zipper and told them to try to go to the bathroom by themselves when they wake at night! So I now leave the bathroom light on. My mom told me that is mean! We will see what happens!

6. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

Mine go through bad phases now and then, waking up during the night (sometimes even winding up in bed with us) and waking up too early in the morning - but after a while things settle down again. It seems to come in waves. :wacko:

Sorry, no advice - I just hope your kiddos give you a break soon! :hug:

7. luvrkids

luvrkids Well-Known Member

No good night sleep here :lazy: (I wish) DD has been a bad sleeper since 1 1/2 yrs and is now 2 1/2 yrs. We had babysitters last night (aunt & mil) so we could go out all night and they could not belive how many times she got up and finally they would take turns sleeping while the other one took care of dd. The first thing my aunt said when we got home is omg you most be soooo tired all the time. But like you said DATJMom my other dd might do this once or twice a week but usually will settle down pretty quickly. So I guess I should be thankful its ususally just one.

8. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

I'm there with you! I've been talking to dh and trying to suggest we switch sides of the bed. :hug:

9. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

Definitely not every night. I pretty much go to sleep praying for a full night's sleep. Some days I get it, some days I'm up NUMEROUS times a night snugging up the girls (tucking blankets under mattress) finding lovelies they lost, etc, etc [​IMG]

10. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Ducking :tomato: So far, we get a pretty decent night's sleep. But neither one of my kids are night potty training yet, just day...so we'll see what happens when that starts. Ladies, I hope you all start getting better sleep soon!

11. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

:tomato: We do! But...Lauren is still in a pullup at night. Pedi said that night training is developmental and I pretty much believe that but also think that we should make somewhat of an effort with her. I know when we do, that will mean getting up at night, and I just don't want to sacrifice my sleep right now. :blush:

We close their door at night, use a sound machine, and don't use a nightlight. I have always wondered if this combination is to thank for my sound sleepers?

12. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

Um... yeah... we get full nights sleep here. (sorry) My girls have always been fantastic sleepers, so once they fall asleep at 7:30, there's usually no noise until 6:30am or so. They're both day-trained but sleep in diapers at night. I'm not looking forward to them wanting to get up and pee at night because I am sure they will yell for me to come help.

13. sbcowell

sbcowell Well-Known Member

Mine both sleep through out the night (but again as other pp has stated, mine are not potty trained yet), we put them to bed by 7pm, and they usually start to wake around 6-630am. When they are sick then I often have to get up a few times at night, for water or to give tyelnol. But, for the most part I get a full nights sleep (when they aren't sick). If either wakes up because they need their blankie (because they can't find it in their crib), I go and give it back to them, and then we talk about it during the day, I say something like "at night if you can't find your blankie, keep feeling around your crib with your hands until you find it". Surprisingly enough this has worked for us!

Good luck, I hope you get more sleep really soon!

14. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would say we do get a full night's sleep about 4 days a week. But with them getting up to go potty or someone needing to be re-covered, even though they can do it by themselves, we don't always get to sleep through the night. I'm not ready for them to get up alone and got potty at this point anyway. :pardon:

15. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

Ditto....AND...I can't blame it on potty training! :headbang:

16. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

We go in phases....here recently it has been our 5.5 year old who watched The Secret Garden and is afraid of Mrs. Medlock (or something like that...), so he pops in our room around 2:00 and asks if he can get in bed with us or sleep on the floor in his sleeping bag. It has been a long time since he's been a night-waker-upper. :)

17. Poohbear05

Poohbear05 Well-Known Member

Sleep?? Does the fact I'm replying at 12 a.m. mean anything?? LOL

The twins have been sleeping all night for quite a while now. They're both still in diapers at night though. We do however have to lock their bedroom door, or else it becomes revolving. One will get up and come to our bed, I'll get her back to bed, get back in my own bed and no sooner does my head hit the pillow and the other one does it. That went on ALL night until we finally started locking them in. They still get up, but when they try the door and it's locked, they just get back in bed, no fussing.

My son on the other hand.... at 19 months old he was still waking every 20 minutes, until this past week. we tried CIO ONE LAST TIME (had tried previously to no avail) and he amazingly now will sleep all night long, and even this morning wouldn't even get out of his bed till I came in and got him.

Knocking on wood, crossing my fingers and praying to God that this will last! It's been 3 YEARS since we've slept all nght long (which is why I'm up at 12 a.m., I can't seem to go to sleep)

18. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

Oh ladies, I cannot imagine ... mine are very good sleepers, it's rare for me to get out of bed in the middle of the night for either one of them. I don't think my oldest has woken up more than 20 times since she slept through ... over the last ... almost 6 years. Twins very good too.

Not what you wanted to hear, but you got my sympathy! Have to admit, I've been very very strict from early one, with early bed times and a very regular schedule. I believe that helped us.

19. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

I've been a fierce mama bear about protecting my kids' sleep too. They've always had an early bedtime and I've always respected their need for naps (they needed 3 a day until after 12 mo! :eek: ). I could probably count on one hand the times they've missed a nap or been out past bedtime because we were out doing stuff. Unfortunately, sometimes you do everything right and it still doesn't work! :lol: Though on the whole my kids are pretty good sleepers, and they just have some phases of needing more attention.

Also, I hope that nobody from FY is reading this thread, because if they do I think they'll probably shoot themselves! :laughing: So FY ladies, in case you're reading, even when toddlers wake up at night, it is way way way way WAY better than getting up with infants all night! It's really not too bad...

20. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I feel your pain Rach. I've written on here about Meara's crap sleeping. Now she has the 'excuse' of saying 'Mommy I need to pee.' I admit some nights I'm just fed up and know she is using this as a manipulation tool so I've said "You are wearing a diaper." :)tomato:)

I usually get 3 full nights of sleep a week, but those nights when I'm up just mess me up. Lately I feel :lazy: a lot.

21. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

I honestly can't remember the last time somebody needed me during the night. :tomato: (I think my sig is still messed up so the youngest are 4) When we potty trained each of them, I left a diaper on until they were dry the entire night. Aaron, the 5 yr old, still wears a pull up at night because he's a very heavy sleeper. I tell them all if they need to pee, get up and go but nobody ever does. Kayci (4 yr girl) will occasionally wet the bed but it's usually in the morning when she didn't get up to go and can't quite wait til I get in there. I'm the not fun middle of the night mommy and have done that since they were all just a few months old so they know there's no point in getting me up unless there's a major issue.

22. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Add black out curtains that that's how I usually get a full night's sleep.

23. nurseandrea02

nurseandrea02 Well-Known Member

OMG, I'd be SOOOO cranky if I wasn't getting a full night's sleep! I admit, we go through phases, but luckily (knock on wood), not for a while. We're very strict about schedule, they have a sound machine/black out shades/no night light, we now have a Tot Clock, & we've done CIO...A LOT (primarily for early rising, but we've had to use it plenty in the middle of the night, too). Mine are potty trained, but Aiden wears a Pull Up at night. He'll rarely get up to pee, but he usually pops into our room announcing he has to pee...we tell him to go...he does & occasionally he needs help covering back up (otherwise I never even have to get out of bed). However, in the mornings, they occasionally get up, pee, & go back to their room til their clock turns yellow ;). A few times last week, they'd cry in their bed & we'd tend to them quickly & they'd go back to sleep. Luckily, those were always BEFORE we went to bed, so it wasn't an issue. That stopped fairly quickly when they realized they weren't getting a lot of attention out of us ;)!

I notice mine wake more at night if they don't get a good nap or if they stay up too late, so we've always avoided those things (Conner gets night terrors if he's overtired). I know, when they're sick (especially both of them), we obviously get up with them at night & I'm soooooooo tired & crabby that I don't know how you all do it on a regular basis! I tell ya, the full night's sleep is one of the MAIN reasons I think I'm NOT READY for another baby! I need all the sleep I can get to handle these 2 rambunctious little boys!

24. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

OMG, Alice has those occasionally but they're usually before we go to bed, between 9 & 10. She had one last night in fact. I hate them.

Last nights was a bit different than most, she actually just sat on me boo hoo hooing, big tears, wracking sobs, then all of a sudden, her eyes focused and within 1/2 of a second she stopped. I asked her if she wanted to go back to bed, and she nodded, and went running off to her bed. I knew that her not taking a nap yesterday would come back to bite her in the butt. I kept telling her that too, but reasoning with a 2 year old is like arguing with a goldfish.

25. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Well, you know I'm not sleeping all night. Luke is up most every night & I usually wake up to find him sleeping beside me. He then proceeds to toss & turn and keep me half awake for the rest of the night. Neither of them ever have to go pee in the night, so that's good, but he is just a horrible sleeper. I'm blaming it on his tonsils & adenoids which are huge & he isn't breathing well at all & he's snoring & having some apnea episodes. Hopefully, we will eventually get that problem addressed & he will sleep better.

26. happychck

happychck Well-Known Member

we're nowhere's near potty training--just still immature and awake a few times (and both get milk at 5 am and then go back to sleep for another 2-3 hours). i haven't slept longer than a 4 hour stretch since they were born. and most of the time it's 2 and hour 3 stretches.

27. brookbranplus2

brookbranplus2 Well-Known Member

My guys are pretty good sleepers except they can be early risers (5:30am). My dd is the one who is most likely to wake me up because of legs cramps or nightmares. My boys are potty trained in the day but they are waking up wet at night so I think it might be a while before the diapers come off at night and then I guess it will be a whole other ball game.

28. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

i WOULD get a full night's sleep if dh would stop SNORING!!!! :headbang:

29. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

:rofl: Aint that the truth. I should have done a poll. Potty trained, not potty trained, DH's issues.

30. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I never sleep straight through the night, but that is just me -- I never have. However, there is nothing other than my own body/brain that generally wakes me up at night. (DH's snoring is a problem, but as long as he stays on his side and facing away from me, I can bear it. It's gotten better since he's lost a few pounds.) Neither of the kids are night wakers (or if they are, they're quiet about it). And they both still wear diapers at night. My hope is that by the time they are ready to stay dry at night, they'll also be ready to go potty all by themselves.

I like to think that the sleep training we did at 5 months had something to do with this, but I think we were just blessed with good sleepers.

31. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

If my husband goes and sleeps in the guest room then I get a full night of sleep. My girls are nowhere near being night trained.

32. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

Okay...so this thread has totally jinxed me...i haven't had a full night's sleep since I replied. Shame on you, Rachel, for posting this [​IMG]

33. brandycaviness

brandycaviness Well-Known Member

I am in the same boat as Tina. I haven't had a full nights sleep since I was pregnant. :faint: Even when the girls spend the night at Nana's I wake up and lay there looking at the ceiling. :headbang: My two are still soaking in the morning when they wake up, so we are no where near being trained at night, but that isn't the issue in our house.

34. Username

Username Well-Known Member

Sometimes my 6 year old goes all night without needing me. My oldest is in bed at 9:30 and my youngest wakes up at 5. I'm up about 4-9 times a night during that time. So, no good sleep here......

35. HRE

HRE Well-Known Member

I have at the very least one wake up a night. Usually 2 or 3...whether it's potty needs, don't feel good needs, had a bad dream needs, whatever...there is always something. I guess that's what being the parent means, right :pardon: