Who has been coming up with the original name ideas? You or SO?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Wendianne, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Wendianne

Wendianne Well-Known Member

I started this post as a response to another thread but it got long so instead of hijack, I started a new thread.

DH has never been one to suggest new names - he's always let me come up with them and then veto or agreed. I put my best ideas out when we first learned this is a boy. He vetoed them and now that I am out of ideas, he isn't actively looking for any suggestions. The one he likes isn't working well for me but I said I could live with it if the right name was not found before the birth. I feel like the process has stalled. I feel bad that the name is not one I am "in love with."

Maybe I am just being stubborn but since he vetoed all of the names I love, I think he should be actively trying to find one he likes that I can love, too.

I guess I should be glad this one is a singleton!

2. Wendianne

Wendianne Well-Known Member

I started this post as a response to another thread but it got long so instead of hijack, I started a new thread.

DH has never been one to suggest new names - he's always let me come up with them and then veto or agreed. I put my best ideas out when we first learned this is a boy. He vetoed them and now that I am out of ideas, he isn't actively looking for any suggestions. The one he likes isn't working well for me but I said I could live with it if the right name was not found before the birth. I feel like the process has stalled. I feel bad that the name is not one I am "in love with."

Maybe I am just being stubborn but since he vetoed all of the names I love, I think he should be actively trying to find one he likes that I can love, too.

I guess I should be glad this one is a singleton!

3. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

Yeah - my dh has picked 2 names and those are the ones he wants - BUT
    I am not "in love" with them either - they are common and I want not way out there but different. So when we came up with one we both love -
    he thinks too much and finds a reason not to use it - he is making me crazy! I feel very strongly about names - I love my other kid's names and I want to feel the same about these babies names!! I think he is trying to say no to my names so that I will just agree with his - part of me feels bad - I want him to like their names too - but when it really comes right down to it - he will get over it better than I would! I will regret not naming them one name over the other and once they are here he won't care about names anymore!

4. Soon-2-BMomof3

Soon-2-BMomof3 Well-Known Member

My husband and I had agreed on the names as soon as we found out they are both boys. Or so I thought! Now he is saying that he doesn't really like one that much and he isn't looking for anything else. I told him that if he wants a different name then he will have to find one because I am done. I love the names we have now and I am not looking anymore. He hasn't said anything else about it. I know that he really likes the name Daniel and that is what he wants to use. It is his father's name and I do like it too, but I'm not crazy about Dan or Danny (which are both nicknames that his father goes by). So I told him we would make it a middle name. He seemed ok with that, but I can tell he still wants it as a first name. Oh well, I am still saying that if he wants something else then he can come up with it!!!!! [​IMG]

5. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

We've both come up with names simultaneously. Unless something was just atrocious, it went on our list to be narrowed down at a later time. This allowed us to keep our favorite names around for a while before automatically vetoing them.

6. Michelle B

Michelle B Well-Known Member

Maybe take your favorite name and his top pick and wait until your son is born to decide. When he is born, he may really look like one of the names more than the other. Sometimes it takes seeing a baby to decide on a name. I know two girlfriends who changed their babies names in the hospital because the original name didn't fit how the baby looked once they arrived.

7. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

My DH is very stubborn about names too. He vetoes mine and then gives me one option that I HATE. He's still mad b/c Andrew's names isn't Thomas (although he says he isn't). I told him we could use Thomas this time, but he doesn't want to use it now b/c it means "twin". Our baby will be the kid in the nursury with no name!!! [​IMG]