Whole Milk at 12 months for Preemies's?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by lovemytwinsx2, Oct 17, 2009.

1. lovemytwinsx2

lovemytwinsx2 Well-Known Member

Hi, my boys will be 1 year old in couple of weeks, before i call pedi, was wondering what everyone else's thoughts on this subject is.

I know full term babies can start whole milk (cow's milk) when they turn 1 yr old, but what about babies born premature?

Do we go by adjusted age or corrected age when they turn 1 yr old for when to start them on whole milk?

My boys were born 7 wks early.

Also, they have been eating egg yolks for a while now and no signs of egg allergy, is it okay to give them the whole egg at 1 yr of age as well?

Thanks in advance for all responses.

2. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

I would definitely talk to your pediatrician before switching them. There are a couple different factors that need to be taken into consideration before taking them off formula. Are they eating Table foods efficiently? Milk is not a "meal" like formula is, it is simply a dairy supplement. They will now need to get their nutrients from the food they are eating. How much do they weigh? Are they caught up?

My girls were 28 weekers and we didn't switch them until their adjusted age of 1 year (which was around 15 months). That was mostly a personal decision because I wanted to ensure they were getting all the nutrients they needed, and I also didn't want to put milk into bottles so I wanted to be sure they were good with the sippies.

Good Luck!

3. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

Your pedi should tell you at your 12 month appointment if they are ready...mine gave me the okay to start at their actual age and mine were 4 weeks early.

4. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree that you should wait & talk to the ped. But, if they are growing well, eating solids well, and have no problems, you will probably get the okay to switch them.

5. foppa2102

foppa2102 Well-Known Member

mine were born at 36 wks and i started them on whole milk at 11 months actual age with no problems.

6. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Definitely talk to your ped before you switch. My preemies did start whole milk at 12 months, actual age. We did not adjust when starting whole milk.

7. tiff12080

tiff12080 Well-Known Member

My 34 weekers started whole milk at 11 months.

8. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

We started at 12 months too, but because the boys were still weighing in the 3rd percentile, we added Carnation Instant Breakfast to each cup of milk for about 3 months to make sure they were getting enough calories. Def. talk to the pedi. We just waited until the 12 month well baby visit to discuss it with her.

9. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I waited until our 12 months appt and talked to my Ped about it. We also had a possible milk protein allergy, so I wanted to be sure we were making the right decision. We switched at 13 months and mine were 2 months premature, so we compromised.