Whole Milk (when still using a bottle)

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by twinzmom2b, Mar 13, 2009.

1. twinzmom2b

twinzmom2b Well-Known Member

Olivia is on whole milk now, but still takes a bottle and not a sippy (so I can't do an insulated sippy or whatever). I (on occasion) need to take a bottle of it out and about...how do you keep yours cold? I was thinking of just putting it in a little insulated tumbler and putting an empty bottle in my diaper bag. That's the only thing I can think of. I don't want to have to stop somewhere just to get some b/c I'm not hauling 3 kids into the convenient store for a $1 milk...lol!

What have you used? I bought this...thinking it was insulated, but it's not, it's just an aluminum bottle (I think it's that way b/c it's BPA free). I think companies like Avent, Dr. Browns, Evenflo, etc...need to make some kind of insulated transition bottle for times just like these! I should create one, I'd be rich...right!!??

https://zak.3dcartstores.com/Hello-Kitty-Al...ttle_p_350.html

2. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

I'd just put it in a little thermos or insulated cup and transfer it. She just turned one, right? At that age if we happened to be out and I didn't have milk for when they were used to it, I'd just give them juice or water. Missing one serving of milk every once in a while isn't a big deal after the baby stage. You could just keep a bottle of water and bottle of juice (since it doesn't need to be kept cold unopened) in the car for those occasions.

3. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I'd give water also, so at least she's not thirsty.

4. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

I used to wrap a flexible ice pack around the bottle and then stick it in my diaper bag. I found the ice packs at Walgreens; they're made of some sort of blue material on the outside and a space aged goo on the inside that holds the cold. This method worked great for us in all but the hottest weather. It probably would have worked in the middle of the summer, but I was hesitant to try if the temperature was above 90.

5. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

I have a little insulated lunch bag that I use to take Caleb's bottles out. I put a small freezer pack in there too. When the girls were around 12 months, they were down to just bottles at breakfast and after dinner, so I wasn't really taking a bottle of milk out for them. And if we were out at that time, it was usually for breakfast and I would just order milk.

6. twinzmom2b

twinzmom2b Well-Known Member

QUOTE(ktfan @ Mar 13 2009, 12:56 PM) [snapback]1226253[/snapback]
    I'd just put it in a little thermos or insulated cup and transfer it. She just turned one, right? At that age if we happened to be out and I didn't have milk for when they were used to it, I'd just give them juice or water. Missing one serving of milk every once in a while isn't a big deal after the baby stage. You could just keep a bottle of water and bottle of juice (since it doesn't need to be kept cold unopened) in the car for those occasions.

She hasn't drank "just water" and I'm not in a big hurry to give her juice. I do have some of those small formula individual packets, so I might just bring that with me instead.

QUOTE(Snittens @ Mar 13 2009, 02:49 PM) [snapback]1226423[/snapback]
    I have a little insulated lunch bag that I use to take Caleb's bottles out. I put a small freezer pack in there too. When the girls were around 12 months, they were down to just bottles at breakfast and after dinner, so I wasn't really taking a bottle of milk out for them. And if we were out at that time, it was usually for breakfast and I would just order milk.

She is still doing 3 (5-6 oz) bottles of milk a day. One about 10 am, 2 pm and at bedtime. She's not eating a ton of table food...she's very picky, so she still "wants" to have her milk. It will be nice to get her down to 2 times a day.

Sometimes with Olivia, I feel like I've never had kids before and she's my first. Her schedule is so unpredictable...her table food eating sucks (even though she's like 27 lbs), she hates fruit (unless it's out of a jar...baby food)...really, what kid doesnt' like chunks of fruit??? Oh well, she's a mystery to me some days! At least she is a happy girl 95% of the time!

7. beemer

beemer Well-Known Member

They make insulated bottle coolers. We have a Dr. Browns, and a no name collegic one. I think Avent makes one, too. They are insulated and generally hold up to 3 bottles and typically come with a reusable ice pack that you can put in them, too. We only used ours for taking bottles to school so I can't tell you if they really hold up or not, and they are pretty big if you want to just take one bottle, but it works.

For me, in Texas, if I had to have cold milk and didn't want to drag it with me everywhere I went I would buy a thermos to put the milk in and bring along an empty bottle. Or as others have said - offer them something else like water that you can always keep in the car cool or not.

8. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(Snittens @ Mar 13 2009, 10:49 AM) [snapback]1226423[/snapback]
    I have a little insulated lunch bag that I use to take Caleb's bottles out. I put a small freezer pack in there too.

That's what I used to do as well. Or the insulated bottle bags with an ice pack.