why are we having SOOO many bad diapers!?!?!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by jfbilyeu, Jun 5, 2009.

1. jfbilyeu

jfbilyeu New Member

For about the past week and a half, both my boys are having the WORST diapers! I dont know if its due to teeth coming in, or what....but its killing me! I feel like we went from 2 dirty diapers a day each, to double that! And sorry if its TMI, but its never solid anymore...just nasty stuff! I've wondered if i should call my doc....but I thought Id get opinions here first...see if its happened to others....

2. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

We recently had a bout of some kind of stomach bug that was a result of swimming in contaminated water. It was nasty and we never were able to figure out what it was, despite doing several stool cultures (yuck!). If we hadn't known about the contaminated water exposure, the doc probably wouldn't have done the cultures at all. As long as they seem well-hydrated, I would say the best thing would be to remove all dairy from their diet and emphasize a BRAT diet (banana, rice, apples/sauce, and toast) for a couple of days. That should help firm up their stools. We did BRAT right after the boys got sick and they ate 42 bananas in 2 days!! :lol: Stools firmed right up after that.

Definitely give the doc a call if you're concerned.

My boys still have 3-4 poops per day each and have never had fewer - I wish I only had to change 2 each per day! Hope you are back to that soon! :)

3. E&Msmom

E&Msmom Well-Known Member

Ditto PP on the remove all dairy. Our doc has always told us too that dont return the dairy until 24-48 hours after the poo is back to being solid.
    You need time for their intestines to heal and the good bacteria to repopulate.
    In addition to BRAT diet, our doc always recommends "junk food" like French fries. Things that are starchy. Ph and no acidic fruit (blueberries, blackberries, strawberries,oranges etc).

For drinks stick to pedialyte for a few days. This too shall pass!!! and make sure you keep a thick layer of butt paste on that way their hineys wont be raw!!
    Hope it clears up soon! When we had what you are describing it lasted for about a week!

4. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

How old are your kiddos? Have you recently tried a new food? Switched to milk? Teething can cause diarrhea too because they swallow more saliva. If you are concerned though, definitely call your pedi and see if there is anything you can do. :hug:

5. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

QUOTE(twinboys07 @ Jun 5 2009, 11:59 PM) [snapback]1343400[/snapback]
    We recently had a bout of some kind of stomach bug that was a result of swimming in contaminated water. It was nasty and we never were able to figure out what it was, despite doing several stool cultures (yuck!). If we hadn't known about the contaminated water exposure, the doc probably wouldn't have done the cultures at all. As long as they seem well-hydrated, I would say the best thing would be to remove all dairy from their diet and emphasize a BRAT diet (banana, rice, apples/sauce, and toast) for a couple of days. That should help firm up their stools. We did BRAT right after the boys got sick and they ate 42 bananas in 2 days!! :lol: Stools firmed right up after that.

Definitely give the doc a call if you're concerned.

My boys still have 3-4 poops per day each and have never had fewer - I wish I only had to change 2 each per day! Hope you are back to that soon! :)

Wonderful advice, ITA!

6. jfbilyeu

jfbilyeu New Member

thanks for the advice girls! im going to try it all out and see! I've wondered if they might be getting more teeth, but just wasnt sure. I'll start cutting out dairy today to see if that happens to be it! They havent really had any "brand new" foods lately, so i dont think thats it.

7. sharerc

sharerc Well-Known Member

I'm glad you posted this. One of mine has been having nasty diapers for a week now. She's not upset about it but I'm wondering when they will be solid again. We have started introducing whole milk this week though. And I'm positive that is what is causing it.

8. ldwa

ldwa Well-Known Member

then, on the other cheek :) my girls are so consistently the other way- we've got a list of poo-friend's & poo-foe's on our fridge.

sorry it's been so rough. double the pooey diapers is no fun.