Why can't I figure it out?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by MrsWright, Sep 16, 2009.

1. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I still feel sooo silly just randomly talking to my guys. I don't know if its just bc I've gone so long without them (and being quiet) that I'm just not used to having someone to talk to or what?! Don't get me wrong, I play patty-cake, and peek-a-boo and other games with them and talk to them when I do 1 on 1 cuddling/playing but when they are just in the living room crawling around exploring and playing I don't know what to say so most times I end up just watching them play. Is this bad? Will I hinder their speech development? I just don't know what to say to them!

2. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It's not bad & there is no need to talk to them constantly. I always felt a little silly too, but I would keep up a running commentary of whatever I was doing.. folding laundry, washing dishes, etc. I would explain everything that I was doing. I knew they couldn't really understand me, but it gave me something to talk about. :pardon:

3. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

I think everything in moderation.Can you imagine how annoying it must be to have someone talk to you all the time! really!

I think it sounds like what you are doing is fine. They have to know what it's like to be quiet too.

4. rhc0607

rhc0607 Well-Known Member

Quick question...when talking to your LOs do you talk in a regular adult voice or a kind of high pitch "baby" voice? I heard somewhere that it is better to speak in a calm, regular pitched voice because it helps with their speech. Although I can't help but talk to them in a baby voice sometimes.

The only thing that gets on my nerves is that my MIL talks REALLY LOUD in a high baby voice and I can't stand it...she even talks to her 7 and 8 year old grandchildren this way!! UGH!!

5. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I guess I talk 1/2 and 1/2 with them. If I'm just talking its normal voice but if I'm playing peekaboo or something else I can get carried away with baby talk;)

6. Halseyse

Halseyse Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Like Alison said, I wouldn't want someone talking to me all the time.

We don't do much baby talk here, but I do tell them what I'm doing, ask them questions about what they're doing or how they feel about things - mostly for them to recognize the difference between questions and statements.

Most of the time I talk to them with a normal toned voice, but I also act out emotions in an animated manner - to try to make it fun [​IMG] These are my firsts so I'm just winging it ;) It seems to be going quite well so far :D

7. 4lilmonkeys

4lilmonkeys Well-Known Member

I had to think back for a minute to remember how I handled talking to our oldest (he's almost 10 so that took some brain power :lol:). I'm a talker by nature, seriously I think I could have a great conversation with a brick wall, so it really came kind of naturally to me. But, it probably wasn't until he was closer to a year old and really gave signs of understanding that I was encouraged and found it easier to talk and interact with him on that level. We have always sang lots of silly songs, changed our expressions, and generally avoided the baby talk. And, while talking is great, I agree that there's also a need for quiet. Not just for you, but for them too! I think you're doing just fine! :)

8. rebekahj

rebekahj Well-Known Member

I don't talk constantly with my guys, I don't think it's necessary. I do ask them about what they're doing and stuff. Another thing is asking them 'permission' for something or telling them I'm going to do something to them, i.e. 'Can I change your diaper?' or 'I'm going to set you down now'. Don't feel the need to limit your vocabulary or topics of conversation, they're learning more the patterns of speech and what sounds are speech sounds now rather than actual words.