Why does it matter?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Faith00, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Faith00

Faith00 Well-Known Member

the "other" train isn't part of the "Thomas and friends" series but they BOTH want the Thomas train. Really! Why does it matter?? They are only two! I thought that in time it would get better but it hasn't.
    I'm considering getting another train from the Thomas and friends series but wonder if it HAS to be THOMAS?
    What do you think? WWYD?
    get another Thomas?
    get any from Thomas and friends?
    not worry about it, they'll get over it?

TIA

Alicia

2. BellaRissa

BellaRissa Well-Known Member

My girls collect the Thomas Take Along series trains. They started out wach having the exact same trains but at about 2 1/2 I let them start picking out which one they wanted. They KNOW which train is theirs & they don't try to take ones that are not theirs. They are pretty rigid about which is "mine". I find it easier to buy duplicates of small things. Oh yeah...Thomas is not just another train...he is imbued with a personality, foibles, thoughts & traits.

I have ordered the girls some wooden Thomas sets....the result of them taking a long nap & allowing me too much internet time....there is a website called kidsurplus.com that has Thomas trains & sets pretty cheap!

3. Thumper

Thumper Well-Known Member

You could have two identical trains. Sometimes they'll still fight over one because it isn't scratched like the other one. :lol:

4. cricket1

cricket1 Well-Known Member

As far as trains in our house, I would get another thomas and another "friend" train. this way they can both have two. They like to play "thomas" and friend or daddy and son or brother and friend with all their toys so we have lots of items that are different but similar, and it is a learning opportunity-ie size, similar/different.

But at about two or so we really started to identify who had what as "special" or just theirs. Actually they started to do this, they will inform us what toy belongs to whom. Not that they do not fight about stuff but it can help to limit it. For example, we are part of a book club we get two every so often. They get to take turns choosing which book is theirs. It normally seems to work.

5. thea7

thea7 Well-Known Member

For the past few months my son (22 months) has been crazy about trains, it all started with a toy train my parents got for him (it wasn't Thomas). A few weeks ago I was in Target and I saw a pack of three small plastic trains for sale at a good price so I bought them for him. The trains were Thomas and two of his friends. Well, my son has never seen the TV show about Thomas, has never seen a book about Thomas, and has no other Thomas toys, has no Thomas exposure that I'm aware of, but he immediately chose the Thomas train for his favorite and now will not go anywhere without Thomas in his hand; he totally ignores the other two trains. I don't know why this is...maybe he just likes the blue color, but maybe he's been exposed to more marketing than I think he has. Luckily my daughter doesn't care, so there's no fighting over Thomas (knock on wood).

thea

6. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

We have ALOT of the wooden trains and mine choose a different one to fight over on a daily basis! I don't think it matters if you have 2 of something b/c then one will want two and you'll need 3, atleast that's how it works here! :laughing:

7. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

As a general rule I try to fight the urge to buy another whatever just because they are fighting over it. If I did that, we'd have two of nearly everything, and they'd still find something to fight about.

That said -- if it's something they both really seem to love, I try to find another one that is similar but not identical. If they can agree up front (usually following our suggestions) on what belongs to whom, they are pretty consistent about sticking with it. We've done this with stuffed animals, baby dolls, and hats (so far).

In your case, I would probably get another train that was one of Thomas's friends (figuring that trains are something they're likely to be into for a long time, and if they both have a clear preference for the "Thomas" one, I'd just give in to it).

FWIW, mine have never seen a Thomas show or book either, but we took them to Day Out with Thomas at the train museum, and now they make a beeline for any Thomas object they see. They are into trains in general, but a "Thomas and friends" train always trumps any other kind. Maybe it's the eyes?

8. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(melissao @ Oct 22 2007, 01:52 PM) [snapback]462049[/snapback]
    We have ALOT of the wooden trains and mine choose a different one to fight over on a daily basis! I don't think it matters if you have 2 of something b/c then one will want two and you'll need 3, atleast that's how it works here! :laughing:

I totally agree with Melissa. We have many Thomas brand trains. We do have 2 of the Thomas ones and they love them. They are also at a point that they know the names of each of the characters.