why the stupid questions from starngers?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by ems9882, Nov 21, 2006.

1. ems9882

ems9882 Well-Known Member

ok so im getting kinds aggitated every person that sees me carrying 2 car seat asks are the twins? wow. ima start saying no i had 1 and adopted one just too see what its like to have twins. can people not add nor subtract now a days. they twins look about 5-6 mths old so how would they not be twins if u are pregant for 9 mths . people kill me.

also i get all the time are they idintical????? they must need glasses and a math class.

caden is almost 16lbs with a head full of crazy curly hair,

caleb is about 11lbs with no hair what so ever still lol and is tiny as could be.

they have none of the same features that i can see, 1 looks like dh and other like me.

people drive me crazy!!!!!

2. ems9882

ok so im getting kinds aggitated every person that sees me carrying 2 car seat asks are the twins? wow. ima start saying no i had 1 and adopted one just too see what its like to have twins. can people not add nor subtract now a days. they twins look about 5-6 mths old so how would they not be twins if u are pregant for 9 mths . people kill me.

also i get all the time are they idintical????? they must need glasses and a math class.

caden is almost 16lbs with a head full of crazy curly hair,

caleb is about 11lbs with no hair what so ever still lol and is tiny as could be.

they have none of the same features that i can see, 1 looks like dh and other like me.

people drive me crazy!!!!!

3. Cassie05

Cassie05 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the club! I never thought the comments would get this obnoxious but they did. Ive just started pretending like I didnt hear them. What gets me is when people want to be all over them, I keep my girls covered for a reason and iVe gotten the worst looks from people when I tell them no they cant see my babies [​IMG]

4. daniellecic

daniellecic Well-Known Member

how about this one. i was at the mall with my boys on sunday, a sales woman (older) came right up and tried to take my son right out of my arms. do i look like i need your f****** help? sorry!!!! but seriously what the HE**!!!!! [​IMG]

5. bren1130

bren1130 Well-Known Member

I was at Wegmans last week and the cashier asked "are they real twins?" [​IMG] I replied, "no they're fake, of course they're real"

6. double-or-nothing

double-or-nothing Well-Known Member

The one i'm so sick of is "double trouble." I simply turn around and smile and say "no, not at all, double the fun. Aren't I lucky?" and I go on my way. And of course people ask me all the time if they are twins. UMMMM.....DUH?? And yesterday, I was at the mall and had them in twin pink jogging pants and one was wearing a pink turtleneck and the other a light purple one. This woman said, "one girl, one boy?" so i said, "no, 2 girls" and she said, "oh i saw the purple and thought it was a boy." ?????????? ok, so when did purple (lilac mind you) become a defining boy color? Not that I am one of those moms at all that has to dress my girls in girly colors all the time cause I don't. I love to put them in blues and browns and oranges and reds and all colors. Then I can understand when people ask cause it's still hard to tell at this age but come on!!! Pink and purple?? hellllooo????

7. xkaper

xkaper Active Member

After the are they twins, and are they identical I ALWAYS get asked are you nursing them, quickly followed by are you giving them formula too, like its any of their business, Tracy

8. clhsieh

clhsieh Well-Known Member

quote:
    Originally posted by xkaper:
    After the are they twins, and are they identical I ALWAYS get asked are you nursing them, quickly followed by are you giving them formula too, like its any of their business, Tracy

Ugh, that's my biggest pet peeve so far. Not everyone needs to supplement. [​IMG]

9. Twinnylou

Twinnylou Well-Known Member

I have had hundreds of stupid questions. "I get are they twins?" Ummmmmm duh . I have also had "Wow twins how do you cope?" I say well i kinda dont have a choice lol. This is my favourite "Are they identical?" No they are a boy and a girl! Then they go on to ask "So they cant be identical then!?" I say no they have different bits lol. People can be so stupid x

10. newbelly2006

newbelly2006 Active Member

Here's one I've got that still leaves me scratching my head:

"Well, if they're not identical [2 boys], then one could have been a girl."
    I told her "one could have been a puppy too, but he wasn't" and walked away.

I think somehow seeing twins turns off that inner monolgue that most people have.

Paula

11. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

it was amazing when my son was dressed in BLUE and my daughter in PINK how many people asked me if they were the same sex...

oh and isn't it annoying how many people ask you if you bf? I nearly asked someone if they wanted a peek!!!

12. mom2twinboyz

mom2twinboyz Active Member

I always get those type of comments to...I love this one I got a few times already

"So did you have them vaginally?" Like what do they want me to say in the wide open mall, yeah I did and I got 12 stitches to prove it?

Meg, Mother of Fraternal Twin Boys
    Born June 10, 2006 @ 37weeks!

*Stats*
    Jacob William
    Birth-7lbs & 20 inches long
    1 Month-8lbs11oz & 22 inches long
    2 Months-12lbs4oz & 22.5 inches long
    3 Months-14lbs10oz & 23.75 inches long
    4 Months-17lbs & 25.5 inches long
    5 Months-18lbs3oz & 26.5 inches long

Nathan Alan
    Birth-5lbs7oz & 19.5 inches long
    1 Month-7lbs7oz & 21 inches long
    2 Months-10lbs7oz & 21.75 inches long
    3 Months-12lbs10oz & 23.5 inches long
    4 Months-14lbs3oz & 25.5 inches long
    5 Months-15lbs12oz & 26.5 inches long

13. Vandiyan

Vandiyan Well-Known Member

I just don't even pay attention to people anymore. I just kinda laugh and just keep on walking. They usually get the hint.

As for the purple thing, it blows my mind that people can be color blind or just plain stupid. We had some lady assume that one of our girls was a boy because their "binky" had blue in it. Mind you they were wearing an Ohio State cheerleader outfit and had a bow in their hair. People just don't think.

14. rodc

rodc Well-Known Member

Hi all!

Don't shoot me, OK? [​IMG]

I spent, and spend, an enormous amount of time out and about with my twins, and as they are now 6 years old, I have had an enormous number of questions and what not.

Almost everyone is just trying to be friendly. Yeah, some of them are lacking in social graces, speak words that pop out of their mouths without having taken a trip through their brains, etc. But they don't mean to be jerks.

The world needs people to be more connected to each other, not less. The world needs people to be more friends to each other, not less friendly.

Not to mention, if you get upset or annoyed it only hurts you; If you can just let it roll off you will feel better than if you are fuming, even if you do manage to get off a great comeback line.

Almost all comments, with the right mind set, can be seen as a compliment: double trouble? Well, two kids are more work than one, they just are. No harm in admitting it. And really, often what they are saying is hey look at you and what you can handle; you are such a great parent.

Hey, and even if they don't mean it that way, who feels better at the end of the day, someone who takes it as a compliment or someone who does not?

Why not just smile, toss off a friendly one-liner and move on with a smile?

Just a thought.

15. LindyFrog

LindyFrog Well-Known Member

Some days I don't mind all of the questions...I also have a three year old, and the twins look very similar to her, so I imagine that in a few years, people will think I have had triplets. Anyway...some days, I am in a hurry, and I do not have time or energy to answer questions, keep probing public fingers off of my babies, and I just want to go on about my business. I am not rude, but somedays, the less eye contact the better!
    My funniest comment--- from a man none-the-less..."How did you have those two babies so close together in age!!!
    One time, when someone asked me if they were twins, I said, No, my husband carried one of them....talk about baffled!

16. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

People just want to make a connection (usually). I actually like it. I'm shy by nature and it's kind of nice to have a reason to talk to strangers. Then again, I don't usually try to run errands with the twins -- when I am out with them, it's usually to get out of the house and kill some time, so I don't mind chatting!

And this:
    quote:
    The world needs people to be more connected to each other, not less. The world needs people to be more friends to each other, not less friendly.
    [​IMG]

The only one that does annoy me (for some reason) is "one girl, one boy"? I don't know why that bugs me -- I guess because I feel like there is some assumption that if you don't have one of each, you're missing out somehow.

The most frequent comment by far is "You really have your hands full!" I just smile and say "Yep," because it's true -- usually literally true.

17. double-or-nothing

double-or-nothing Well-Known Member

There you go again Rodc...always gotta be the one to put things in the proper perspective [​IMG] Thanks. I don't mean to come off negative about it as I'm really not. I am pleasingly overwhelmed with the amazing attention that my girls get wherever we go. The questions, while sometimes silly, are just that...silly. I know people have good intentions.

To be honest, I felt like such an idiot today when I found myself asking 2 seperate parents if their kids are twins (and they were). I found myself unable to not ask it even though I suspected they were. You just never know what the deal is. And you feel like you need to ask just to be sure. Maybe one was adopted. Maybe one has a weight gain problem or is just very small and is like 10 months older (which can happen). For now on, I deffinately won't mind when people ask that one. I just don't like when people ask questions that are too personal but that's just how you have to respond to them I guess...by telling them, "I'm sorry but that's personal." Perhaps they'll think twice about asking it again...perhaps not [​IMG]

18. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

I haven't read any of the responses, but I am one who is drawn to twins! I saw some today exiting Sears as I went in to order pictures, and I was drawn to her... I did stop myself because she was already being questioned by someone, but I think it is just a natural reaction!

19. KatrinaS

KatrinaS Well-Known Member

quote:
    Originally posted by double-or-nothing:
    This woman said, "one girl, one boy?" so i said, "no, 2 girls" and she said, "oh i saw the purple and thought it was a boy." ?????????? ok, so when did purple (lilac mind you) become a defining boy color?

This is why I don't even try to dress them girly anymore, people don't even seem to look before asking that question. I had my girls in jeans today, one in blue jeans and a black shirt, the other in PINK jeans and a pink shirt; and I got asked if the one in pink was a boy. [​IMG]

20. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

Thank you Rod!!!

I don't mind peoples comments as long as they aren't rude. I had a lady the other day say she'd rather shoot herself than have twins. Now THAT bothers me!

21. ksls

ksls Well-Known Member

For the most part ppl's comments don't bother me, I think most everyone is just trying to be friendly. But it does get on my nerves sometimes, especially when the girls are cranky and I'm trying to hurry and I've been stopped and asked the same 10 questions 50 times already.

22. MSB1203

MSB1203 Well-Known Member

For the most part, it doesn't bother me anymore. Occasionally, I get annoyed, like when someone says that Maddie is a big boy...yeah, she is chubby but since when did that indicate she is a boy??? I have found that if I am going to be out when I have help, DH, Mom, MIL, etc. we do better to dress them totally different, and take individual umbrella strollers or buggies. Most times noone notices them that way. My mom is young, so if I am with her, then they assume that we just both have babies. The only time I really hate getting stopped is when I am out with my bestfriend and her daughter b/c Kaylee is 9 weeks younger than my girls, and alot smaller, but the cutest little thing, and I know that it gets annoying b/c ppl are stopping me and going on and on about my babies and don't say a word about Kaylee. I know it is not b/c they don't think she is cute, they do, b/c when I go out with just one of the girls, I rarely get a big fuss made...ppl will smile and say aww, she is so cute, but it is all in passing...no stopping me for 3 minutes or longer.

23. li li

li li Well-Known Member

quote:
    Almost everyone is just trying to be friendly. Yeah, some of them are lacking in social graces, speak words that pop out of their mouths without having taken a trip through their brains, etc. But they don't mean to be jerks.

spoken for me. thank you. although i loathe being the centre of attention, i do love that people seem so interested and kind - even if they do say daft things at times - it kind of makes the world feel a smaller friendlier place. and the daft things they say give me something to giggle about afterwards.

lisa

24. 4Kidos

4Kidos Well-Known Member

I'm SO glad I'm not alone!!!!!
    Anyone else have the people that will STAND RIGHT in FRONT of your stroller and talk your ear off???? This is even BETTER when one or both of the babies are crying and ALL you want to do is get OUT of the store!!!!!!!!
    ARRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

25. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

quote:
    Originally posted by Her Royal Jennyness:
    I don't mind peoples comments as long as they aren't rude. I had a lady the other day say she'd rather shoot herself than have twins. Now THAT bothers me!

Jenny, You hit the nail on the head here! I agree, its the really rude things, Like when I was pregnant, mother from my som's school said "I am so sorry for you" That is such an awful thing to say... I replied "well its not like I am dying or anything" She never said anything again! [​IMG]

26. Eyler07

Eyler07 Well-Known Member

When i first read your post and saw that you were from Canton, i thought, gosh it has to be a canton thing to have stupid people come over and ask stupid questions. (I'm from Louisville, right beside canton...) and then, i realiezed that people all over get them, [​IMG] and it must be something that just "goes around.." anyways, yes i get them too. I expecially hate the "oh a boy and a girl?" while if you realize, i have them dressed alike and it's in a blue outfit!!!!! [​IMG]

amanda [​IMG]

27. txtwinmom2b

txtwinmom2b Well-Known Member

My babies are almost 2 months old and for the most part, I don't mind those standard "are they twins? are they identical or fraternal? is there history in your family?" questions..

One comment did make me mad. This lady said "Are they twins?" Of course I said yes, and then she said "Uggh, no thanks. I'll pass" Uhhh, I don't recall offering them to you?

28. ems9882

ok so the best one i got on fri was when i went to pick my oldest up from preschhol and i took the twins in with me. my sons friend in his class asked me today "um u have two babies"? i said yes and went to leave . he came bacl over to me and said "how did u make two? i was at a losss so i kinda let it rool of my shoulder then he says"well i know u have to have sex to make a baby so u had sex 2 times right? i was in schockkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk who honesytly tells theire 3 yr old about sex? now i teach my son about unwanted touching and things of that nature but not how mommy and daddy had sex to make u and ur brothers. are these people serious??????????wow!

29. Gilly

Gilly Member

This one has to bring me out of lurkerdom....

I've only been out and about for about 2 weeks and I quickly realized that the sheer volume of twin comments that I'd heard I'd get wasn't at all an exaggeration.

They don't bother me, but the one that made me laugh was the guy who stopped me at the market and with whom I had the following exchange:

"oh, wow, are they twins?"

"Yes!"

"So they're the same age?"

"Yup."

"The exact same age?"

"Yup."

"Like born the same day?"

"Yup." (At this point I was scratching my head - I know it happens that twins aren't born on the same day, but it's certainly not the norm.)

"So are they a boy and girl?"

"Yup!"

"How fabulous - identical boy and girl twins!"

The last comment I didn't even correct. My hubby and I joked for days about our "exact same age" twins.

[​IMG]

30. twinduckmom

twinduckmom Well-Known Member

I always laugh when people ask me if a boy and a girl set of twins are identical. I alyaws say, 'yah! Like a striped and a polka-dotted sock!' [​IMG]

I know people generally mean well, and most of the time I enjoy the attention. We all have to remember that just because we hear the same questions a million times over it is always new to the asker. [​IMG]

i have yet to find out if our boys are in fact identical so the response to that one is usually pretty long. Sometimes i just shrug my shoulders and say "I dunno".

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]