Wii games for 5 year old?

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by allgood2000, Dec 7, 2008.

1. allgood2000

allgood2000 Well-Known Member

We don't have a Wii, but Santa is bringing one for my 5 yo nephew this year. I am wanting to get a game for it for my nephew's Christmas gift, but want a good one for a 5 year old! My 7 year old LOVES Lego Batman (one of his good friends has a Wii and this game and they play it all the time), but would this be a good one for a 5 year old? The games are so pricey - I don't want to pay for one that he won't be able to play!
    Thanks for any input!

2. brookbranplus2

brookbranplus2 Well-Known Member

My kids really love Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz. It has lots of games and it's not to pricey.

3. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

I would stick with the Mario games. My boys love the Lego games, but just recently have understood the strategy and reading enough to progress in them.

You can get MarioKart, Mario and Sonic at the Olympics, Mario Super Sluggers--all of them great, and easy to play.

4. CapeBretoner_123

CapeBretoner_123 Well-Known Member

If you have a Movie Gallery around check there. Prices are lower then Walmart

5. Amanda

Amanda Well-Known Member

Boom Blox gets rave reviews on Amazon for 5 yr olds and actually even kids who can't read.
    I bought it for my 4 yr olds for Christmas.

6. Debb-i

Debb-i Well-Known Member

Santa is bringing a Wii for our boys and they turn 5yrs old on dec 22. From asking friends with similar aged kids, they have all told me to stick to the Mario games (Mario Kart, Mario Party, Mario and Sonic Olympic Games,etc). Animal Crossing and Carnival Games has also been recommended. Apparently reading is not so important in these games and the skill level is within range for a 5 year old.

BTW. Toys R Us is having a sale this week on Wii games. If you buy one your get $20 off the second.

7. twinmuffin

twinmuffin Well-Known Member

My 5 year old son loves the "Cars" game. We also have the Hot wheels one, which I don't recommend, it is a lot more difficult to steer the cars.

8. ehm

ehm Banned

The only thing about the Carnival games for me is the comments are often times not very nice. It might not matter to anyone else but me but sometimes I think they are pretty rude but I am also known for not taking my children to Rated G movies because I find things in them that I don't feel are appropriate so take my opinion with a grain of salt!

(I don't care for some of the mini games in Mario Party 8 either but so far they haven't seemed to have effected the children greatly so I haven't voiced my concerns, i.e. characters on a slippery roof being knocked off by snowballs, pushing characters off poles the quickest in order to move on and do it all over again etc)

ETA: Of course now I am thinking of little things in pretty much all the games that don't seem totally appropriate but the Carnival games really stick out for me!

9. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

We got Mario Kart for Nadia for Christmas...she'll be 5 next month, and this is the one everyone is recommending.

We've had the Wii for some time, but haven't told her about it yet, LOL.

10. mom23sweetgirlies

mom23sweetgirlies Well-Known Member

We have a Wii but we don't have that many games for it yet. So just based off of what I've heard I'd go with Mario games. That is what I hope to get soon. If you were asking for a girl I would recommend Disney Princess Enchanted Journey, it is a very easy, cute and fun game. My girls really enjoyed it and I'm pretty sure it had adjustable level of difficulty.

11. momofmandb

momofmandb Well-Known Member

QUOTE(ehm @ Dec 8 2008, 04:39 PM) [snapback]1102628[/snapback]
    The only thing about the Carnival games for me is the comments are often times not very nice. It might not matter to anyone else but me but sometimes I think they are pretty rude but I am also known for not taking my children to Rated G movies because I find things in them that I don't feel are appropriate so take my opinion with a grain of salt!

I actually don't care for the Carnival Games either. I also think that some of the games on this are kind of hard.

12. Cindy H

Cindy H Well-Known Member

Mario games are good. And I second the Monkey Ball Banana blitz...my kids love it and it is only $20!

Cindy

13. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

My boys like the Diego game. It is pretty easy for them to do alone, but there is a helper remote option for areas that they might need help completing.

14. Haley'sHope

Haley'sHope Well-Known Member

Mario Kart, Mario & Sonic at the Olympics, & the Nerf Blaster game (not sure on the exact name of the game, but that's what my boys call it :)).

15. momof5

momof5 Well-Known Member

We have the Cranival game and love it. It has a lot of different games on it.