WILL NOT poo on the toilet!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by 2xjoy, Jun 13, 2013.

1. 2xjoy

2xjoy Well-Known Member

My girls were 3 in April. T1 has been fully tt'd (day & night) since about 28months. T2 wears pull-ups to bed at night but has been almost day trained for around 6 months. I say almost because she WILL.NOT.POO.ON.THE.TOILET.
    She is like clockwork, every single morning wakes up early and has pooed in her pull-up!!
    We have charts, bribes, we've talked about it (lots) but nothing. It is driving me mental. She has no problems going to the toilet for a wee and doesn't seem fearful, so why?!!

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It's actually pretty normal and common. Honestly? I'd stop all poo related training completely for a few weeks (at least). Give both her and yourself a break. Let her know that you know she'll do it when she's ready. And she will, I promise. :)

3. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree with Rachel. I struggled so hard with one of my boys and then he just decided it was happening one day and that was that. It was so frustrating, because I was so done with diapers and pullups, but I wish now I wouldn't have fought it.

4. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

My two were very much this way. They would hold it until they got their pullup on at night! I did two things. First, I stopped talking about it, suggesting it, etc because it was becoming a power struggle. Second, I started them on a little bit of over the counter laxative (here it is called Miralax, not sure if you guys have it there). It is a powder that I mixed with their juice and it just makes the stools softer and looser, so they could not hold it and were forced to go during the day or else soil themselves. My son caught on right away and my daughter had 1 accident when she had tried to hold it too long and since then they have been pooping in the potty on a regular basis. Kids often have a fear that it is going to hurt so this helped make sure it wouldn't.

1 person likes this.
  5. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My girls would not train until I let them go naked. I would let them run around the house all day completely naked, or bottomless, and I put a little potty in whatever room they were playing in.

That's what eventually worked for us. If they were home, they were naked, for at least 3 weeks.

6. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

My Sarah was day and night pee trained for almost 6 months before she had the courage to poop on the toilet....so frustrating! But she was terrified and refused and it was a battle I decided not to fight. One day her sister and her were in the bathroom and Allison was encouraging Sarah to poop, and she did, just like that. It will come, but not until she is ready, my advice is just be patient.

7. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would back off and not mention it for a while. Sometimes it just takes a little more maturity on their part and no emotion on yours.

8. 2xjoy

2xjoy Well-Known Member

I'm afraid I haven't got much maturity ATM with 4:00am starts and late nights!

9. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

You are in good company then. ;) I have to psych myself up for being very neutral on Potty training. The No-Cry Potty Training Solution (Pantley) helped me change my attitude a bit.

10. 2xjoy

2xjoy Well-Known Member

UPDATE:
    Still no progress. This is not a recent thing. Has been going on for months and months. She has no problems taking herself to the toilet for wees!
    They are Huuuuuuge fans of Barbie at the moment, so, a few weeks ago, I made up some new charts for the girls. Basicaly, I googled some Barbie pictures to copy and paste. Keeping it simple, they had to get 10 stickers to get Giselle or Odette from Barbie and the Pink Shoes movie. T1 has to stay in her bed at night to get her stickers and T2 has to poo on the toilet.
    approx 2.5 weeks later..................... T1 has 1/10 stickers and T2 has 2/10. (they were pure fluke)

I found myself today threatening to take the barbies back to the shop so maybe another little girl would buy them so they could get out of their boxes.

I know, I know, so not helpful. I know I have to probably back right off but I wish I knew why so I could help her.

11. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

This is exactly the problem we had, except my DD who is the most stubborn would hold EVERYTHING until we put the pullups on at night. I did a lot of searching to find answers, especially since mine were 3 1/2 and I knew that they needed to be trained before preschool started. I found this article which helped me a lot.

Potty training refusal

It is written by another doctor, and as a pediatrician myself what he said made a lot of sense. I followed his recommendations and within a week or two my most stubborn refuser was going on the potty and shortly after that ditched the pullups at night. My DS is still in pullups at night because he sleeps so soundly he doesn't always wake to pee, but we have not had poop at night since we started getting him pooping regularly during the day.

2 people like this.
  12. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

At least she will poop! One of my DDs was easily trained at 2 1/2. The other was not easy and she trained at 3y4m. But once she got the pee thing down, she just stopped pooping. I wished she would go in her pants, but instead she would hold it for days until it hurt to go. Vicious circle. I would not make it a battle, because you don't want her to start holding it...trust me!

13. Gigantor

Gigantor Well-Known Member

You are not the only one with this problem...and I'm happy I'm not alone either-:) It's been months in my house too, but each time a pushed or tried to push the issue, it got even worse. So I am now taking it easy, thinking to myself, he will eventually sit on the potty and let it go. We are at the stage when he poops in his diaper, but he is in the bathroom. I ask him once a week if he wants to sit on the toilet with diaper on, but so far, he did not want to. I think there is a fear of letting it go into the water, or maybe not being able to feel it, like it is part of them and letting it go is like loosing something that belongs to them.