William is Wheezing....Possible asthma? Infection?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Jillianstwins, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Jillianstwins

Jillianstwins Well-Known Member

Hi ladies,

Well we noticed since last week that William (7 months, born at 36 weeks, had fluid in his lungs at birth, 24 hrs in NICU with NO intervention just observation) is wheezing when he exhales, high raspy pitch. I mainly noticed it when he is in his highchair. So we went to the pediatrician yesterday and this is our plan right now:

As it is his left upper lung that is wheezy....our doctor suspects an infection. William may have aspirated on some formula or food and now a little infection has set in as it is only in one lung. (I guess both lung wheezing would indicate asthma) So we put him on a course of Zithromax hoping to clear the possible infection.

If that doesnt work, then it may be a possible soy allergy to his soy formula and will switch to Nutramigen. And if THAT doesnt work then we will talk about asthma treatment.

Anyone else have this experience? Praying it isnt asthma. Asthma and allergies are on my side of the famiy and I have asthma that is triggered by allergies and exercise. I dont want my little man to have asthma. I am so bummed.

Let me know what you all think. Thanks! ~jillian

2. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

I have no experience, but I hope he feels better soon!! :hug99:

3. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

:hug99: I hope he feels better soon.

4. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

No experience, just :hug99: .

5. shelley79

shelley79 Well-Known Member

My twins were both just diagnosed with asthma after they had 3 wheezing episodes in 3 months. Everytime they get a cold it goes straight to their lungs. I hope that you don't have to deal with the asthma, and that he gets to feeling better soon!

6. Dianna

Dianna Well-Known Member

Hope he is feeling better soon.

Dianna

7. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

No advice, just hope he feels better and that it is not asthma. I had it as a child and it wasnt fun...fwiw I think my 3yo has the allergy induced kind-she has to have breathing treatments for a few days once a year.

8. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Tyler has some breathing issues at the tail end of a cold usually. He usually has to go on a nebulizer and an inhaler if necessary and it usually takes a few weeks to clear up. But as of now, he is off all meds. So it can get better.

Also asthma is easily treatable for kids and some to most can outgrow it. We are going through some issues with allergies in the Spring with my older DD and the stuff with Tyler. They both do well on the meds. So all is not lost if he gets a diagnosis of Asthma. Hang in there. I know it is hard to have a child that doesnt feel well. :hug99:

9. Jillianstwins

Jillianstwins Well-Known Member

Okay, after thinking about this and talking with our nanny and my husband.....it may be a milk allergy. Anyone have experience with this? The wheezing started after we started feeding the babies Stonyfield Farms Organic "YoBaby" yogurts. I mix one container of plain yogurt with a jar of fruit for breakfast or a jar of veggies mixed in for lunch. He LOVES it, doesnt get tummy upset while he is eating but afterwards, he is spitting up more than ever. We give the babies soy formula as my older two children could not tolerate regular milk protein formula and broke out in hives. So I took the safe route with starting the babies out on soy to avoid the reaction my older two had.

I Googled signs and symptoms of a milk allergy and there are 8 signs.....Will only has the wheezing and the spitting up. He is generally happy and such an easy going baby, never fusses except when hungry and I dont get his bottle to his mouth fast enough :)

This will be his third and final dose day of Zithromax to clear up a possible infection in his one lung, which is the first step our pediatrician wanted to take. Then if he continues to wheeze, we will switch his formula to Nutramigen. THEN if that doesnt work, we will talk about asthma treatment.

I am not going to feed Will his yogurt today and see what happens, as well as calling my pediatrician to tell him about taking him off the yogurt. I didnt even bring up as a reminder that Will's older brother and sister both have a milk allergy. They both ate yogurt at this age though and it didnt affect them like Will. Their reaction was only to the milk protein formula, not yogurt, cheese or ice cream as they are processed differently.

Any milk allergy experience out there?? Thanks ladies, for the well wishes and the support. He feels fine, acting normal, just wheezy and really spitty (it is nasty). Okay, let's see what happens! xojillian