Window Blinds/Shades

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Aeliza, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Aeliza

Aeliza Well-Known Member

I'm considering moving my boys to toddler beds. However, they love playing with the window treatments. They are those faux wooden blinds that have strings that hang low and a rod that hangs down to allow more or less light in. I've removed the rod and the blinds are permanently in the low light position adn the string is easy enough to keep out of their way. However, when I move them to toddler beds, they will have access to these windows. During the night, there's an annoying street light that shines in their windows. I don't want to keep them up with this annoying light, but I'm not sure I can trust them with the blinds down. They like to go pull on them in the down position and the last thing I want is to hear them tumbling down. :cry:

My questions is, do I just hope the light does not disturb their sleep too much and keep the blinds up? Do I just hope they blinds are strong enough to handle their torturous pulls? These blinds were probably here since when the house was first built 17 years ago. I don't have much faith that they'll hold much weight. Is there something else I can do to keep the light out at night and keep them safe while they adjust to their new beds and nightly freedom?

2. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

I think I would probably install some other type of shade or curtain. Something cordless would be ideal. My LOs are fascinated with blinds, too.

3. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

My one son has just become facinated with the blinds in our basement which is their playroom. I had to shorten the cords but he still likes to flip them close.

Now, if they were in their room and I was moving them to toddler beds, I would take them down; IMHO, it's just not worth the risk.

Mine are still in cribs, but I have a black-out shade (purchased at Home Depot) PLUS black-out panels (puchased at Walmart)PLUS curtains. Except for the blue light on their white noise machine, you can't see a thing in there. :lazy:. And that's the way I wanted it. When I turn off the light, they know it's time for sleep.

For your boys, you could buy a night light with a timer so it's not pitch black to help them with the transition. Just make sure to put it up high so they can't pull it out.

4. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Get rid of those blinds... seriously. Another mom on another forum I go to lost her 2.5 year old a few months ago because he got strangled in blind cords - and they were out of range too... he just somehow managed to get hold of them. I'd put some of those blinds you pull down to make them go up, and or maybe some dark curtains or something.

5. irisflower

irisflower Well-Known Member

We removed the blinds & now have 2 little curious boys who like touching the blackout curtains.
    got them cheap at Target.

I figured the kids will demo our house...they just need to rebuild it when they get older.