wondering if I should buy preemie size clothes?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by tracilynn, Apr 19, 2010.

1. tracilynn

tracilynn Well-Known Member

My twinderellas will be here no later than 36 weeks which is my scheduled C section. I have lots of newborn sizes, some of which on the tag says "5-8 pounds" although they still seem big to me ... wondering if I should get a few preemie sizes? I dont think they will be big girls - they have always measured about 50%ile.

2. murtygirl

murtygirl Well-Known Member

I personally am buying 4 or 5 preemie sized sleepers each for my twins. For the first few weeks anyways the 0-3 will more than likely swallow them up even if they are 7 pounders, which is unlikely!! Oh well, an excuse to go shopping!!

3. genagoodrow

genagoodrow Well-Known Member

Depends on your take on things. Are you practical or sentimental? It could be useful. But IMO, it seems like bad luck. Silly, I know. Since you know what you know about their birthday, it might make sense.

4. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

If you buy them, make sure to leave the tags on & keep receipts. That way, if they are born bigger than you think, you can return them or exchange them for bigger sizes. None of my babies could ever wear preemie sizes & my oldest daughter was born at 36 weeks.

5. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We only had two outfits a piece that were preemie size. They're sitting on build a bear toys now. I think we could have gotten by with just the newborn size. They were 34 weeks 5 days, 5#4oz, and 4#14oz, 18 & 17 inches.

6. lisagayle

lisagayle Well-Known Member

DH and I debated on this as well. We came to the decision that if we need some, we can send his mom or my mom out to buy some for us. Even if someone just makes a run to walmart to get some cheapie ones until we need them. But of course our hospital has a policy that they can only wear hospital branded shirts while in the hospital, so we won't need any of their clothes until they get ready to go home anyways. I think it has something to do with security and making sure no babies sneak out that don't need to be leaving. Which is kind of nice, but still sucks we can't dress them in their own clothes.

7. mommyto3girls

mommyto3girls Well-Known Member

I didn't have any premie clothes for my oldest DD. She was 7lbs 1 oz and all of the newborn clothes were still way too big on her. I did get some premie clothes for twins. Just some onsie's and pants and a few sleepers. My were born at 35w5d. They were 5 lbs 13 oz and 6 lbs 3 oz.

8. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It might be a good idea to have some on hand since you know they will be here no later than 36 weeks.

9. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

We had no preemie clothes for the girls when they came along at 35 weeks. Like pp said, even the clothes that said 5-6 lbs just swallowed them. We had to go out and buy preemie clothes which fit them great and is what they wore for probably the first two months, and my girls were just a couple of ounces shy of 6 lbs.

10. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

Mine were 5.7 and 5.10 - and the preemie clothes were huge on them. The newborn or 0-3 stuff would have just fallen off of them. They could wear the preemie stuff for several months.

11. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

Mine wore preemie clothes for almost 2 months after mine came home (came home at 36 & 37 weeks at 4.2 and 5.8 or so lbs) They were born at 32 weeks but our NICU did not do clothes from home.

It took mine awhile to outgrow preemie---newborn and 0-3 months were way big for a long time.

12. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My little guy was brought home at 4lbs 10oz, born at 5lbs 7 ozs. When I realized how small that was, I went through all their stuff to pick out the very smallest and used that. I didn't buy preemie, but there is a large size varience in newborn. I, too, couldn't bring myself to buy preemie. Plus mine were born at 37w 5d... I thought they'd be closer to 7 lbs.

If I had it to do over again, it would have been nice to have a couple of things that fit better.

13. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We had tons of preemie clothes. All 4 of mine wore them. I would buy at least one outfit for each. I bought them ahead of time bc I know my kids are slow growers (at least my first 2 were) so we had a bunch. Plus mine wore them in the nicu for months. You can find them at walmart pretty cheap!

14. tracilynn

Thanks ladies. I think I will buy at least a few preemie outfits for each one then. Yay more shopping! ;)

15. Haydie

Haydie Well-Known Member

I got a few premie outfits. Even my singleton babies were 7.4 & 7.15 lbs and they both wore premie outfits briefly.
    Can I mention to you that I am green with envy over you? My ticker is off and I am actually 36wks 3days and seriously in horrible pain ALL the time. My planned section is not until I am 38wks 3 days. TWO MORE WEEKS!!!

16. tracilynn

Haydie! My OB Considers twins full term at 37 wks and she always does scheduled c's one week earlier so 36 weeks. I know It seems early. She is a twin mommy too so maybe she knows how it feels. She scheduled her own c at 36+3. 2 more weeks for you yay!

17. beckman445

beckman445 Well-Known Member

If you do get some preemie stuff, you might get a couple of separates (i.e. pants and shirt) also. My guys wore gowns while they were in the hospital, but my smaller one was 4.13 when we came home and he was too long for the preemie sleepers we had! He couldn't straighten his legs out, but we didn't realize it until he was dressed, so he rode home like that. It was pretty funny looking back :FIFblush: . But we got lots of miles out of the newborn size clothing. He wore that for several months since he was a slow grower.

Good luck!
    Laura