worried about 6 month old getting sick on plane?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by surfingqueen, Oct 26, 2009.

1. surfingqueen

surfingqueen Member

Do you think we are being paranoid about not wanting to travel via plane from florida to chicago with our 6 month old girls for thanksgiving? With a prediction of 60% of people getting swine flu this season my husband and I don't want to do it. I am torn because his parents cannot travel and they have not seen the girls yet. Honest opinions please- am i being too paronoid?
    thank you in advance

2. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Hmmm, that's a tough one. Predictions here are only for 35-40%, but still that's fairly high. You have to weigh what kind of risk you are willing to take and make the decision that is best for you & the babies. You could stay at home & they could still get sick but, at the same time, airplanes are notoriously bad for passing on viruses. You are not being too paranoid, it's your job to take care of those babies the best way you know how, I would be having the same feelings! I know, I'm being no help at all, sorry. :hug: Good luck on whatever decision you make!

3. surfingqueen

surfingqueen Member

Thanks Tina for your reply.
    I know they could get sick here too- i just wish his famiy would/could come here.

4. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I dont think you are being too paranoid at all. I dont think I would do it with 6 months olds during RSV season. Mine were premature. But now, I would. So you need to do what is right for you and what you are comfortable with. GL with your decision.

5. Rach1137

Rach1137 Well-Known Member

Personally I would go. My boys were born at 36 weeks and had no health issues. I'm not the type of person who worries about things like this too much though and to me seeing family would be just as important, especially if they haven't seen the babies yet. From what we are being told from the University Health Service where I work, the peak of H1N1 is supposed to be this week and next week and then tapering off for the rest of the flu season. Take the same precautions you normally would (washing hands etc.) and stay away from anyone who looks obviously ill. I would also recommend changing clothes as soon as you get off the plane and things like that. Since most people are contagious before they even know they are sick, you couls get this anywhere, at any time, from anyone.

If your babies were premature though or have other health issues, then I think I would feel differently about it. You couls always check with your pedi too.

1 person likes this.
  6. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I pretty much agree with Rach but I'm much more lax about this sort of thing than a lot of parents are, and you really have to do what you are comfy with! :hug:

7. becky5

becky5 Guest

I don't think you are being paranoid. My kids just had the flu and were sick with high fevers for a week, along with other symptoms, that ended up lasting over 2 weeks for one. I would be worried about a 6 month old getting sick and being so far away from home/my doctor. I am a worrier though!

I hope so Rachel! There sure is a lot of illness right now.