Worried about losing one of the babies

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Krystine, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Krystine

Krystine Well-Known Member

I don't know that this is entirely logical but I have had two missed MC. This pregnancy our twins were healthy and happy after the point I lost my previous singleton babies (around 8.5-9 weeks, the twins looked great at 10 weeks). Now I'm 11.5 weeks and can feel very faint movement when I lie down but I don't know that I can feel it in two places. Also, I'm just nervous because I've heard so much about conceiving twins and then losing one of them without any symptoms. Are there usually symptoms when miscarrying a twin after 10 weeks? I don't see my doctor again until the end of the month when I'm 14 weeks so 2.5 weeks to wait. I still have all my symptoms and really nothing has physically changed but just worrying I guess and I guess I want to hear that losing a baby after 10 weeks isn't all that common even in twins. I want these little babies to be healthy and outlive me so badly!!

2. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

I can't speak to the loss aspect but as far as movement I couldn't feel them move until about 18 weeks and couldn't tell the difference between the two until after 20. Even at that they could get into certain positions where I couldn't tell whose foot was pushing where.

3. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree that it's way too soon to feel both babies and differentiate. I bet they are both swimming and flipping at the same time which is what you are starting to feel. I've had a MC and it was directly prior to my healthy twin pregnancy, but the worry was there. :hug:

4. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I started to feel movement around the 10-11 wk range, but I'd had 2 prior pregnancies and knew exactly what I was feeling ;) But I definitely couldn't distinguish between the two until much much further on.

If you saw/heard two fantastic heart beats at 10 wks then you should be safe to take a deep breath and plan on having babies in the future. While there's obviously no way we can guarantee it, the chances of losing one now are much slimmer. Generally vanishing twin happens very early, 4/5/6 wk range. We saw dual heartbeats at 6wks5days, but our RE was quick to caution us that one of them may not make it, it was too early to tell. At shortly after 8 wks, when we again saw two strong heartbeats he congratulated us on our twins and sent us on to our OB/GYN :)

I had 2 miscarriages before I had my twins so I completely understand your worry. I started counting down to milestones. 12 wks the risk of miscarriage drops way down. 20 wks is the gender scan. 24 wks is viability. 28 wks they have a 75% chance of survival with possible long term health issues. I think it was 30 wks jumps to 80-85% survival. 34 wks was I believe 95-100% survival and probably no long term health issues. Something like that. Anyways I felt like each milestone I could take a deep breath and say to myself "This is going to be okay, we're going to take this step by step up until the day they are born! And then we'll deal with whatever may come after that!". :hug: The fear didn't truly disappear until I heard both of them crying. My son did have to go to the NICU for about 6 hrs, but once he came to the room with us I felt totally and completely at peace :wub:

5. Krystine

I don't think I would be able to tell it was baby movement if this were my first PG either, I do have one healthy daughter who's 3. I'll be 12 weeks Monday but have to wait till 14 weeks for my next appointment. Would I consider my risk decreased Monday even though we haven't heard the heartbeats or seen anything since? Thank you all for the reassurance. I know there are never guarantees and children can die at any age it's just extra scary after miscarriages.

6. paperclippy

paperclippy Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, I'm 20 weeks and only now feel comfortable for sure calling the things I'm feeling movements. Plus, they only started a couple weeks ago, and I definitely feel a lot more movement on one side than the other, even though on ultrasounds they appear to both be squirming around like crazy (probably just due to their positions). I was also worried about losing one or both of them early on even though I'd never had any miscarriages, but everything turned out fine so far! I've read that after seeing two good heartbeats at 10 weeks your chances of problems go way down.

Good luck! I think if you're not comfortable doing any planning yet, there's no reason you have to. We didn't start buying any baby things until last week because I was so worried about losing one or both of them, and we aren't opening the packages we bought until after our anatomy scan next week. I just feel safer waiting, and it's not like I don't have plenty of time to catch up.

7. Krystine

Yeah, we have almost nothing to buy except for new car seats and we will need to buy a bigger vehicle but we're waiting until the last trimester. Other than that just more cloth diapers. I'm too tired and sick to plan or do much now anyway and will do some freezer cooking when I start to feel better.

8. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Congrats on your twins. I think its probably too early to worry about whether or not that you are feeling movement. I have had 10 mc's so I know that fear in the first trimester very well. If you really do get stressed out, you could call your dr and ask for another sono to make sure everything is fine. Some dr's will give extra u/s's to women who have had previous losses bc they know how more stressed they get. I personally rented one of those dopplers and listened to the babies heartbeats every night. For me, it was what I needed. Granted I couldn't tell which ones I was hearing but I could listen for heartbeats and felt better with that! I hope the time goes by fast and you are able to relax and enjoy the pregnancy!

9. Krystine

I just ordered a doppler, maybe it will help, maybe it will drive me more crazy but I have heard enough people say they've been helped by then. My doctor will give extra u/s or doppler checks for out of pocket, they won't file it with insurance.

10. Krystine

I went to the clinic today to get checked for dehydration trying to get insurance to cover Zofran and the nurse practitioner found both babies' heart beats! They are further apart than I thought they'd be inside of me but they both sounded great at 12w3d. I got my at-home Doppler but we couldn't hear the hb on it.