Would you recommend a Step2/Little Tikes table?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by [email protected], Nov 15, 2008.

1. angeez78@hotmail.com

[email protected] Well-Known Member

So we live in a house that is too small, as I suppose the rest of you are too!!! Anyway, we are wanting to buy our DS a table for x-mas and were wondering if you get much use out of yours? We are thinking of putting it in the living room as we don't have a playroom, so that is our LR's purpose. LOL!!! I was looking at the Little Tikes picnic tables the jr. size and the regular size. I also think I would prefer the picnic table style over the table and chairs. Which size would you recommend? We only need it to seat 3 kids. I don't think Step 2 has a picnic table. Any other recommendations welcome.

Thanks for helping me make my decision!!!!

2. Merijo

Merijo Well-Known Member

We have one in our living room right now! I'm not sure of the brand but for three boys (a 4 yr old and two 19 m olds) it is nice. I use it mostly for breakfasts and snacks when I'm too lazy to put them at the table. We have a second one outside but it's due to move into the playroom or the garage for the winter. Brrrr - we may get snow tonight.
    Merijo

3. Pookeysue

Pookeysue Well-Known Member

We have the little tikes picnic table and it folds up. My 2.5 year olds both fit at it and it doesnt take up too much space. The nice this is that it does fold up flat and you can store it away if you dont need it out.

4. T.O. Twins

T.O. Twins Well-Known Member

We use our little tables a lot.

I would recommend against the Junior picnic table as I think your three kids will outgrow it relatively quickly. We have the larger one ( http://www.littletikes.com/toys/endless-ad...able.aspx?N=124 ) and really like it -- it can also go flat for storage if you ever need to get it out of the way. We have it on our deck in the summer and in my MIL's basement in the winter. One thing I would point out, though, is that your little girls would be able to sit at a little table with chairs sooner than they would a picnic table. A couple of 15 and 16 month olds were trying to sit at our picnic table this weekend and kept falling off the back. Chairs with backs would have been better for them.

In our living room we have a little Ikea table ( http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90099493 ) and chairs ( http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20099496 ) and really like and would recommend them. The Ikea table is smaller than the picnic table but still has enough space for drawing and eating, the chairs would hold the little kids on better, and the chairs are sturdier than the picnic table for any adults that might want to sit on them (I find the picnic table too flimsy for adults). We have the table with the long edge against a wall and three chairs around it in our living room. Something less plastic-y would look better, but the plastic is very easy to clean off and our living room really IS the play room, a tiny wooden table and chair would not make it any more of an adult space.

Good luck in your choice!

5. NicoleT

NicoleT Well-Known Member

For three kids you will definitely need the "regular size" one. We barely have enough room on the junior one for two kids!

6. thetaphi_62

thetaphi_62 Well-Known Member

If you are making an investment in a room that you are in and have to look at EVERY day, think twice about getting a multi colored picnic table. We have a white wooden table, similar to the Ikea one that pp mentioned with 2 chair (only 2 kiddos here). It is very nice to have in our common living space. We eat there, craft there, very multipurposeful. Cleans up easily and surprisingly they do really well with the chairs! I got mine on Craigs list for $20!! We also got a full sized little tikes picnic table (at a garage sale) for outside (something that I don't have to look at everyday!) and it is in the basement for the winter. We use both of them quite frequently and hope to use them for years to come. My 6YO niece came over and sat at the table with the boys somewhat comfortably.

Happy shopping!!

7. ariel53098

ariel53098 Well-Known Member

We got DS a tan/forrest green step 2 (I think that was the brand) table with 2 chairs when he was 2 or 3 and we have gotten a LOT of use from it. I agree about the colors with the living room. Mine blended so it wasn't an eye sore or anything. I found it VERY handy to have. :)
    Rachel

8. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

We have a Little Tykes picnic table and two tables with chairs and I definitely recommend the picnic table. We have gotten tons of use out of ours and it was a hand-me-down so it's been in service for a while. :) The problem with the table and separate chairs is that the chairs can be dragged around the house or knocked over or broken. This doesn't happen with the picnic table.

9. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

I like the Step 2 products mostly because of the colors etc and they have held up great for us! :good: Good luck!