Wrestling and ...kissing?!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by twindependent, Mar 19, 2009.

1. twindependent

twindependent Well-Known Member

SO my boys go to preschool two mornings a week, and it's a great place. I love it, they love it.

But my boys LOVE to wrestle at school. My DH and I are starting a new reward program with them, though, starting next week. If they have four preschool days in a row getting a "thumbs up" for behavior, they get a reward (the first time it will be going to Chuck E Cheese, ugh).

Anyway, we are frequently talking about what good behavior is at preschool and elsewhere, and today DH and I were talking about the new program. That's when Nolan tells us he's been kissing Ryan (a boy) on the playground at school. I thought he was saying "kicking" but no, he said "kissing like hugging and kissing." Oh Lord, really? So we had another nice long talk about good behavior meaning appropriate ways of showing you like someone, like hugging and high fives.

So I rattled off an email a minute ago to the preschool teacher because it's bugging me so much. But until she responds, can anyone reassure me that this is normal? Preschoolers kissing? UGH. Not to mention the wrestling part. Please tell me that's normal, too. ;)

AHHHHHHHH Parenting is too hard for me!

2. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

Well...we get kissing in kindergarten, so my guess is that it is normal in preschool too. We just simply tell the kids, "Kisses are for your mommy or daddy, not for your friends." I think giving them alternate ways of showing attention (high fives, etc.) like you did was perfect.

3. Joanna G

Joanna G Well-Known Member

We had that happen the beginning of 4K this year. I just really think these kids are still learning appropriate ways to show affection. In most homes kissing & hugging is very appropriate between family members. They just need to learn it's not appropriate with your friends. There was one little boy in my twins' class who would always kiss E on the bus. We talked many times about how to tell him no, that's only for your family to do. He's still really good friends with this little boy & most of the inappropriate contact has stopped.

4. thea7

thea7 Well-Known Member

Just last week, my DS was telling me that "Kevin" was his best friend and that he gave him a kiss. Then my DD told me that "Jane" was her best friend and she gave her a kiss. I'm not sure this is the truth...my kids tell me a lot of things that aren't true. I'd wait to hear from your teacher. But just my two cents, I think it is normal at that age to kiss, regardless of the sex/gender. I personally would rather have them kissing than fighting (if I had the choice).

thea