WWYD about a minor accident?

Discussion in 'General' started by Rollergiraffe, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I was going to get the boys from school the other day. The road leading up to their school is quite narrow and congested at that time of day. There was a truck parked the wrong way jutting out from the curb, and a bus coming toward me. I had to swerve quite wide to duck around the truck  and then over corrected to get into a parking spot to allow the bus to pass through, and i ended up very lightly scraping my passenger door on a parked van. There is no dent on either vehicle, just scraped paint. As I was pretty sure it was another parent picking up their kid from school, I hung around for a minute to see if they were headed our way. Miles was waiting alone by now, so I left a note under their windshield wiper with my contact info and ran in to the school.

It was so fast I kind of assumed I would catch the other parent on the way out, but by the time I got back to my van they were gone. And I never heard from them over the weekend. So, they either didn't get the note for some reason or they decided not to contact me. Should I do further sleuthing to figure out who it was? I only vaguely remember that it was a dark coloured minivan, but it could have been an SUV. I guess I could watch for people with a scrape on their front bumper? Am I obligated to do more? I feel guilty.

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

You did enough Jen, you left a note on the windshield and that is more than what most people would do.  I lightly scraped someone's car in a Target parking lot, left a note with my name and phone number and they never called.

3. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

You left a note- don't worry about it.

4. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Free your mind-it was minor and you left a note-you had obligations and you did what you could.  You could be mindful now keeping watch for them when you're at the school and see if you notice it and try again but I dont know that's really neccessary.

5. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

You did plenty. I wouldn't have bothered calling either. Shit happens.

6. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

That's kind of what I figured. If I saw a scrape, I wouldn't bother because the hassle of taking it in for repair and not having a vehicle for a few days sucks more than having (another) scratch on my car. I just feel like a schmuck that I'll run into the parent one day and feel awkward. For now I guess I'll just have to park six blocks away and hope no one notices me ;)