WWYD - not sure about my 2nd graders teacher!

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by allgood2000, Sep 4, 2008.

1. allgood2000

allgood2000 Well-Known Member

I have been a little uncomfortable about my sons teacher since the beginning of school. She seems really disorganized and flighty. To top it off, she is a 'floater' teacher, meaning that from year to year she takes on any grade that has too many students and not enough teachers. She hasn't taught 2nd grade in years (her words). I think that teachers who teach the same grade each year don't have to re-create the wheel. I know how much work new teachers have to put into their lesson plans every single day. I'm not sure this teacher is going to put in the time it will take to develop a good 2nd grade curriculum since she probably won't teach 2nd grade next year, KWIM?

Yesterday was back to school night and I was so not impressed! All the parents had questions about homework because the instructions have been so unclear. Last week she told the kids they needed to do 'their spelling' for homework, and sent home a list of words, but no assignment to go with them. This week, we received a spelling paper, with spaces to practice the words and such, but no list of spelling words. At back to school night she was laughing about how she kept getting things mixed up, had sent the wrong homework on the wrong days, had no idea what was going home with the kids, and admitted that she never looked at homework because homework was just about habit - I guess I think that if homework is going home, the teacher should at least glance at it to make sure it is understood and that the children are not reinforcing bad habits by doing something incorrectly!

So, what should I do? The principal at my kids school is a little............difficult. He absolutely refuses to switch kids out of classes - I guess the principal before him let kids switch a LOT and now this new principal has taken an unwavering 'no' stance to any requests to get a different teacher. I don't want to rock the boat by complaining, since we need to deal with this teacher for the entire year. She is very nice, and I think that her personality will be beneficial to Will. I just don't know what, if anything, I should do! HELP!

2. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

I wouldn't discount her because she teaches different grades each year. I know in our school, the grades to team planning, so all classes do roughly the same things for each unit. I am very eclectic when I teach, and I love the opportunity to work with different subjects and grades each year. Also, she may bring a fresh perspective to the class. As to homework, she may simply be overwhelmed with the start of the new year. Maybe you, or another parent can volunteer to go in to help her get the homework together for the week. I know even in Jon's K class last year, there were parents who would go in once a week to get pages pulled, copied, whatever to help out.

Since you said her personality suits Will, I would not want to move him (the old saying, be careful what you ask for, because you just might get it--and it isn't always better!).

Good luck!

3. jennyj

jennyj Well-Known Member

This is critical in your childs education so if it were me I would start with expressing your concerns to the teacher, then principal and dont be affraid to go to the superintendant... thats what they are there for.. I have had to do this before and the whole time I was scared because i didnt watn to hurt anyone or get my kid a bad name because of his mommy... but honestly in the end everythign was fixed and a bigger problem was found and no one ever treated my son or I differantly... your the only one He has to fight for him so I would do it

4. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

I agree with maybe asking if she needs help getting homework and stuff prepared. I know in our school, the teacher emails all of us with info, maybe getting some parents to help her out a day or so a week would be helpful to her. Has she asked for help? I know some teachers come right out and ask for it, while others don't.

Best of luck though. I am sure it is hard knowing she is a good personality fit for Will, but her lack of organization sounds terribly frustrating.

5. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

Personally, I would go right to the source. set up a meeting with the teacher and tell her about what you have seen and your concerns. Offer to help her get things more organized. I think teachers appreciate it when parents treat them with respect and go to them directly with issues instead of over their head. I'd start there.

6. somebunniesmom

somebunniesmom Well-Known Member

As a volunteer classroom parent helper, my suggestion was going to be offer to lend a hand. Getting organozed can be overwheming and the help is usually very much appreciated. I totally get your concerns and I would be feeling a bit frustrated too at this point, but it does appear that she is having trouble getting the year off the ground. I would start with the teacher as a previous poster suggested. If that gets you no where, then climb the ladder.

7. allgood2000

allgood2000 Well-Known Member

Thank you, all, for your suggestions. I particularly liked the 'be careful what you ask for' advice because that is SO TRUE! I've already volunteered to be a classroom helper, and I think it is really important that I be in the classroom a lot this year so I can be reassured that it's a good spot for Will, and also because I think his teacher will appreciate the help. Also, it IS the very beginning of the year. Before I make too big of a stink, I'll give it a few more weeks to work itself out. If I am still feeling very uncomfortable with the organization I will go talk to the teacher and, if needed, the principal.
    Thanks again!