Yeast infections while PT DD

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by ckreh, Aug 22, 2011.

1. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

Has anyone else experienced yeast infections while PT girls? DD has gotten the occasional yeast infection since she was about 1-1/2 years old. At their 3-year checkup she had one and the doctor confirmed it telling me to put a little cream on it. Fast forward and we are PT with the 3-day method, which means most days they are still naked from the waist down when at home since DS has problems with getting his pants down or just laziness which makes DD want to be naked too. About every 3 days or so DD complains she is itchy and when I check sure enough she is red and swollen. Plus of course when she gets an infection she wants to itch, which drives DH crazy.

Yesterday my MIL babysat, amazing right if you know our history, and she was not happy with the naked from the waist down. She claims she has never heard of this method in her 35-years of nursing :unknw: . She is a pediatric nurse and noticed DD's current yeast infection and told me that she is getting them because I am letting her run around the house naked. As far as I understood it yeast infections clear up better when things are dry and aired out (SORRY TMI). Now MIL comes up with some real crazy "medical" things, so I don't know if I can trust her on this one. I can't call the doctor because MIL works there and anytime the twins names come up she knows about it.

So has anyone else had experience with this? If it is true I am not looking forward to the fight to keep pants on DD while DS runs around naked from the waist down. They are getting better with the PT, but I expect the naked from the waist down to last for another 4 or 5 weeks and the instructions basically said expect 3-months.

2. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yeah, I've always heard that moisture is what leads to yeast infections. My boys get them occasionally in the diaper area- I've found that after a bath (every other day around here) if I put some baby powder on them they don't seem to have as much trouble.

3. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Your MIL is kooky.
    :lol: Understatement, right? Does she eat yogurt on a regular basis, maybe double up on the yogurt? Yeast infections are a fungal infection and guess what? They like it moist so keeping it dry is the way to go.

4. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Can you find a new doctor? It seems incredibly unprofessional that your doctor would share your family information with her.

But yes, I've always heard that it's better if it's aired out... maybe make 100% sure wash her and dry her every time she has an accident (ugh, what a pain).

5. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I think MIL works for her pediatrician.

6. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Not an excuse... what about doctor-patient confidentiality?

7. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

Yep MIL is the nurse in the ped's office with 5 doctors in it. The other office we could go to is affiliated with the same hospital so she can get all their medical records through the computer system hook up between offices. It is totally unprofessional and drives me crazy, but I am stuck. I have even mentioned it to their doctor, but he thinks it is ok for grandma to know whats going on health wise to get them the best care.

She thinks she has the right to look at all their files. For example 2-weeks ago when they were trying to correct DS life insurance since he passed the 3-year mark with great check ups after his open-heart surgery the company called for his files. She immediately called me to tell me that one of the office girls was faxing over 40 pages of his records, was something wrong, and I needed to send her a thank you gift. I said he was fine and wasn't the office girl just doing her job. Boy she wasn't happy with me on that, tried to call DH, and when she got a similar response from him got all huffy.

The only upside is if I really need to get one of them in asap I get an appointment right away because they treat us like celebrities there. I don't know if it is the relationship thing or because they are the only set of twins at that office so all the office girls fawn over them.

BTW saying she is Kooky is an UNDERSTATEMENT. I always ask DH how he turned out so normal when his mother and sister are crazy and he responds that he thinks his late father gave him the normal genes :ibiggrin: . I am just hoping crazy doesn't skip a generation for the twins sake :laughing: .

8. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

YI definitely do better when aired out, your MIL is wrong or lying to you on purpose ;) Are you letting dd wipe herself or are you doing it for her? She may not be wiping herself good enough and you may have to continue to help her for awhile. My kids were 4-4.5 before they could wipe themselves good enough to prevent YI's. My older dd gets them sometimes too.

9. kgar

kgar Well-Known Member

Do your kids swim in a public pool? Sometimes the chemicals in pools can cause yeast infections. Public pools tend to be the worst, especially YMCA pools around here, because they go overboard with the chemicals in order to pass public-health inspections.

10. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

Um a gift???? Seriously? If we all sent gifts to everyone at every office that did things for us we would all be broke. Office people do things like that every day and most of the time the people they are doing it for have no idea . That was her job and she gets paid to do it. And I agree with everyone else on the YI issue. Sounds like your MIL has some serious control and " look at me" issues.

11. MistyP

MistyP Well-Known Member

At our hospital she would be fired for that....They track who looks at who's files; if you have a reason to be, if you are related, etc. Major violation of the HIPPA laws....
    Sorry you are having a rough time!

12. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

The funny thing is that about 6 months ago she was waiting on test results from her doctor and DH asked if he was out of the same hospital. She said yes, but she would get in trouble for looking at her own records through the system. At that point he wanted to say so there is no problem looking at our kids files without permission, but he wasn't at a point where he was speaking back to her or calling her out.

13. tpowers

tpowers Well-Known Member

Her looking at their files is a huge HIPPA violation. I wonder if the Dr. lets her so that is why she does not get in trouble. It is not okay. I can't look up my husband's records even if he asks (I work in the lab.) Also, when I had my boys and called for their Bili results they still had to go through all of their protocall even though they knew me. She can not look them up. I would consider switching docs if you do not want her to have access to their records.