Yet another identical or not question!

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by beckylynn, Nov 18, 2009.

?

Are they identical or fraternal?

1. Identical

14 vote(s)
    53.8%
  2. Fraternal

8 vote(s)
    30.8%
  3. No idea but I think they are cute

4 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. beckylynn

beckylynn Well-Known Member

My girls are almost 8 months old and I feel like I shouldn't even be asking this because our perinatologists told us that they were monochorionic from about 19 weeks on. 1 twin had IUGR and a velamentous cord insertion and was always much smaller than her sister. They were born at 29w1d at 2 lbs and 2 lbs, 11 oz. Anyway, I never really heard back on the pathology report of the placenta so I'm considering doing DNA testing because the girls look so different to me. Granted, some things look similar and they are different weights (by two pounds) so that's a factor but their eyes are completely different! Lily's eyes look more...asian? Everyone says so.

So...what do you guys think? :)

Juliette

Lily

Lily and Juliette

Halloween (they look more alike to me in this photo)

Thanks everyone!

2. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Wow, this one's a tough one for me! I think it's the weight difference that's throwing me off, two pounds can make such a difference. But the eye shapes are quite different to me as well, so I'm going to go with fraternal.... and adorable!!

3. JenKik

JenKik Well-Known Member

I'm going to agree with Tina on this one. I say fraternal and sooooo cute! My girls are fraternal, but most of the pics (of them together) make them look identical. To me (my girls) look NOTHING alike, but alot of people beg to differ.

Your girls are precious! Oh, we have those same bouncies! :)

4. Code

Code Well-Known Member

they are very cute!

5. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

WHOAH WHOAH WHOAH................................................. HOLD THE PHONE.................

YOURS ARE F R A T E R N A L??????

NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOW DO YOU KNOW????????? I don't believe it from the evidence in your avatar.. POST PICS!!

:) I can't wait to see them!! THANKS! :) (Can you tell I love this game??) :)

6. lianyla

I am not sure. We have to wait a while on these.. I would test them for sure. This is not a clear cut case. Did they have one placenta or two?? Same bloodtype? Can you post more pics of them together? Do they have the same ears and nose? I can't tell.

7. lianyla

and by 19 weeks it would be TOUGH to see that they were monochorionic. This is MUCH better determined earlier in pregnancy. It is more likely to be incorrect later on in pregnancy, like 20 weeks, for example.

Can you post some early u/s photos? Are they in one "black hole" or two?

Go to www.dnasolutions.com and order a test :)

8. lianyla

Alright, I'm changing my vote.

They are fraternal. I studied them a bit more. They look VERY different in all of them except the one w/ hats on and I think most babies look alike w/ hats on so..

Please test! :)

9. becky5

becky5 Guest

I'm going to go with fraternal. They are precious Becky!

10. beckylynn

Thanks! I'll try to get some more photos of them together. They did have one placenta (as far as I know) but they might have fused - who knows. Like I said, I never got pathology reports on the placenta so it's tough to say. The first ultrasound was a bad one but to me it looked like they were in one black sac. I posted pictures way back when about that one, I'll have to dig them up. We weren't seeing the peris at that point and people were doubtful.

The bloodtypes are the same - A-.

11. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

I think identical. The picture of them on the couch together is what did it for me. My boys had different hair lengths for quite a while and that always threw me too. I think you should see if the hospital knows if it was a fused placenta or not before spending the $ on a test. Though, I know how nice it is to know "for sure" the outcome of a DNA test!

12. becky5

becky5 Guest

Ok, that has me leaning more towards ID. :lol: I would call the OB and ask for the report!

13. vyckie72

vyckie72 Well-Known Member

Thats a tough one. I'm still undecided. We just spent the 139 to get our boys tested and they are ID. They have different sizes because of IUGR too, but only different by less than a pound. The one of them on the couch they look ID, but the other one looks FR. Whatever the results are they are soooo cute.

14. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

I think I would go ahead and test too! There is no question with mine because they are B-G twins but early on they looked NOTHING alike, (mostly due to DS being utterly squished by his sister) and now there are some pics where if I have them wearing unisex outfits they can look ID just because of the family resemblence (same reason that if you take my baby pics and the baby pics of my sister born 7 years later you can't tell who is who.) I think I would question it forever unless I had the DNA test.

15. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I was leaning towards frats until you said they have the same blood type! :lol: I would totally have to get them tested! :wub:

16. amymc72

amymc72 Well-Known Member

I vote identical ... Mine look pretty different and had a nearly 2 lb. weight difference at birth, which really factors in, but pathology came back identical (mono-di). My OB thought identical before pathology confirmed because their noses and ears look the same - features that are not so influenced by weight. So I'm basing my vote on your girls' cute button noses - they look the same to me.

17. beckylynn

Well, I ordered the test! I think they probably are identical just because of the strong evidence before they were born but they just look so different! I wonder what could have caused the difference in the eyes - their eye color and hair color are the same and I think they have the same nose but so could fraternal twins. Also I think that A- blood isn't that common so that's another indicator. I'm O+ and have no idea what my husband is so the - must be recessive. I don't know our 2 year olds blood type.

I'll let everyone know! I ordered from DNASolutions. I hope they're legit!

18. vyckie72

vyckie72 Well-Known Member

They are very legit and just had mine done with them. They don't take personal checks anymore though so you can call them with a credit card if you don't want to send the info through the mail and they give you the results really quickly. Good luck and post when you get the results.

19. qfmom2009

qfmom2009 Well-Known Member

I voted faternal, but my dh said that they look identical to him. Regardless, they're absolutely beautiful!

20. becky5

becky5 Guest

:woo: Can't wait to hear!

21. lianyla

Oh man! I now think they're id. Blood type AND the fact that you think they were in ONE black hole. That's a sure sign.

ID! They look SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO different in those pics but I'm sure in person you wouldn't think so.

Let us know!!

22. beckylynn

Here is the original ultrasound photo I posted with them in one big black sac...people here had doubts since it's a pretty crummy photo.

Ultrasound photo - 6 weeks

23. beckylynn

Oh, and in person people can come into the house and I'm holding a baby and they immediately say "Hi Lily" or vice versa. If they've never met them they don't try to tell them apart but it's pretty easy to do!

24. ChaoticMum

ChaoticMum Well-Known Member

I can't wait to hear the results.......I can't tell! LOL

25. lianyla

Yes. They are mono di twins. They are in the same sac. That is one of the WORST shots (ultrasound wise) LOL that I have EVER seen. Why is it soo skewed like that?

ANyway, doesn't matter. Yes. They're identical. And yes, they look different, VERY different, but they are id!

GL and keep us posted on the official results!

26. WaterGuzzler

WaterGuzzler Well-Known Member

They totally look id to me. I can see there's a difference but I think it's because of the weight difference. Our girls are no doubt 100% id (ttts, one placenta) but they look so entirely different to me. Their eye shapes are different, too. Head shapes, hair length, etc. We would swear they were frats if we didn't have so much evidence otherwise.

Oh, and your girls are absolutely stunning!

27. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I voted "no idea but I think they are cute" They are absolutely adorable :wub:
    Looking at your first three pictures they look fraternal but then the last one they look ID...so I have no idea. Can't wait to "see" your results!

28. mom23sweetgirlies

mom23sweetgirlies Well-Known Member

Wow this is one of the toughest cases on here I've seen! At first I was going to say Frat because their eye shapes are so different but based on the fact that one had IUGR, they share a blood type and look quite a bit alike I'm going to say ID. I am glad you had them tested and can't wait to hear the results!

I was really unsure with my girls as well because even though they shared a blood type and looked a lot alike most people close to them could tell them apart pretty easily. My twin A also had IUGR and they had different head shapes so I wasn't sure if that was why people were able to tell them apart so easily. We had them DNA tested at 15 months and the results were ID.

29. beckylynn

The results are in! They're identical. It still blows me away because of how completely different they look but I guess I can't doubt it anymore. I am relieved that the doctors were right but saddened a little bit that it means that the IUGR must have really affected Lily to cause the differences. But at the same time it's a blessing that we can tell them apart.

Thanks everyone for your opinions!