Yet Another Twin Skin/Belly Question

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by faerieprncs, Sep 6, 2009.

1. faerieprncs

faerieprncs Well-Known Member

I'm 8 weeks postpartum. I know that it takes time for the skin to go back to it's "new normal". I've read in other threads that it can take up to a year to stop changing. So here's my question:

1) At the one year point, do you still have that flap of skin that hangs over? You know, like you see on plastic surgery shows after someone has lost like 150 pounds? Does that go away completely?

2) Underneath my belly button area, the skin is brown and discolored (and I"m really pale), what is that and will it go back to my normal pasty white color (and match)???

Thanks!

2. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Haven't made it to 1 year but at 9 months I still have a little flap...its more like a bigger version of my "pooch" i had before. As for the dark skin...when I was preggo my belly button turned really dark for some reason and I think it was around 3-4 months before it turned back bc I thought it was going to stay that way!

3. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

The color will likely change back. The extra skin may or may not go away. Mine is somewhat back to normal, although the skin itself still doesn't feel like it did before. Kind of feels loose or something. :pardon:

4. Carrie27

Carrie27 Well-Known Member

Just a few days shy of the 1 year mark and I still have the flap. I have pretty much come to terms with it staying there.

5. orangeyaglad

orangeyaglad Well-Known Member

Still have the flap and I really don't think it will go away unless I get plastic surgery. The discoloration eventually went away, but can't remember exactly when. :)

6. ambernruby

ambernruby Well-Known Member

Yup i'm afraid it's still here and i'm even more afraid of losing anymore weight as it wll look worse lol Guess i am still yet to come to terms with it, it offends my eyes right now!! In clothes fine but in intimate stuations it's not good at all. Saying al this it is a MAJOR improvement to how i looked at 8wks..

7. AngelKLP13

AngelKLP13 Well-Known Member

9 months PP and still have my twin skin. Looks like I was "deflated" I am saving up for my tummy tuck next summer!

8. ohjojo

ohjojo Well-Known Member

my tummy has pretty much gone back to normal, i am definitely a little thicker around the midsection but the flappiness is gone. i had really dark discolored skin in and around my bellybutton and i finally started scrubbing it with a bath sponge thing and it helped it go away. i didn't figure out this trick until like 5 months postpartum..

9. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

it should look a lot better in another month... I breastfed... and lost all the weight by 3 to 4 months... and then some up until I got my period at 11 months... I do have a twin belly now... and wish I had the energy to just firm it all up! but seriously, for me, 12 weeks was a lot better than just 8 weeks post partum.

10. mom23sweetgirlies

mom23sweetgirlies Well-Known Member

Sorry to say but my girls are 7 and I still have some loose skin above the c-section scar, although right now it's kind of starting to fill out because of the pregnancy. LOL At one point I got down to 104 lbs and was working out a lot, my tummy looked flat everywhere except that one spot so I really don't think it can be firmed up. I'm pretty sure the only way to get rid of it is with a tummy tuck.

11. becky5

becky5 Guest

Although I lost weight and it made it look a little better, the skin down there is just stretched out and won't ever go back to the way it was pre-twins!

12. maritza211

maritza211 Well-Known Member

OMG... I was wondering the same thing. I am almost 10 weeks post and my belly is a mess! I also have the twin flap and the discoloration. Its so hard to feel in the mood when you don't look like yourself. I thought I just had to get my *** in gear and exercise and stop eating like a pig and it would just take time to loose it... but now after reading all these posts... jeez... its so depressing. I guess I have to save up for a tummy tuck too. I love my girls... but damn does this suck!

13. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

Most of my discoloration is gone. However, I have an awful flap of loose skin, and still about 10 pounds to lose until I get to my pre preg. weight. I don't think it will ever look the same again!

14. watersurfers

watersurfers Well-Known Member

Good questions, thanks for asking! I was wondering the same myself. I am six weeks postpartum, and have the dark belly button and some weird skin too. Got the flap and like stretch mark circles that go around my belly button in waves!

15. ssb2e

ssb2e Well-Known Member

Just to give some hope, since it seems the majority say the stomach seems to maintain the pooch, mine is completely back to normal and has been for a while. Maybe because I didn't go full term though...? The color also is back to normal. Other than the scar, I can honestly say, my stomach looks better now than it did before the babies!! The stomach muscles aren't quite back as strong, but getting there.

16. maritza211

maritza211 Well-Known Member

that does give hope. although... I did go to 38 weeks!! But I am going to start exercising and eating better tomorrow. :) So we'll see where I am by the end of the year. Wish me luck! :)

17. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Add me to the "twin skin" club. I had a bit of a c/s pooch from my 2 prior kids, but the twins definitely made it worse and I don't foresee it disappearing miraculously. It's not muscle, it's extra skin, and it depends on how elastic your skin is as to whether it'll go back to normal or not.

18. tiff12080

tiff12080 Well-Known Member

Oh I hate twin skin. Now I am that chubby skinny girl lol!! Seriously, I am less than 100lbs, yet I still have a bit of a pouch. Not noticeable in clothes, but when I sit down that skin is there, which was not before. Oh well, it was worth it.

19. andgoody

andgoody Well-Known Member

I went back to my pre pregnancy weight really really quickly. I have always been tall and thin, but when I sit down I definitely have some more skin flapping over. When I stand up I don't notice it as much, but I have tons of jeans that won't fit anymore...I've realized that this is most likely from my hips widening a little and not necessarily the skin. I think they are forever stuck where they moved to! dang...i loved a lot of those jeans! You know what my friend told me about the discoloring around the bellybutton??? Rubbing alcohol and a qtip or wash rag! It works. It's just like dead skin or something that needs to be scrubbed away!