You can't help but laugh when they call you by your real name

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by cjk2002, Jan 15, 2012.

1. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

This does not happen often, but when it does, I can't help but laugh. This past Wednesday we were playing outside after school and my one DS wanted to in the house. My BF was over and was inside so he let him in. A few minutes later he wanted to go out, opened the door and said "Hey, where's Judy?, oh there she is". Later the same day, he had the same coversation but with his brother "Where is Judy?", his brother "Judy is outside Josh". :rotflmbo:

Every now and then they'll call me Judy and it sounds so funny coming from a 4 year old.

2. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My boys have just started calling me 'Mis-sell'. I actually don't like it as DH calls his parents by their first names to this day. MIL was a young single mom and didn't want to be called mom at the time. :( since then she regrets it.

3. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

my girls do that to us sometimes, it's funny! they also say things like, "mama, when are your mom and dad coming over?" or last week i was gone and my mom was here, and marina said to her, "when is your daughter coming back?" and they'll call my aunt "grandma's sister"... "hi, grandma's sister!"
    i have the weirdest kids lol

4. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

Funny! Mine are too young to understand much about us having "real" names yet, so when we do use our names they look at us funny. My husband goes by Tom, but the other day he said something I didn't approve of so I said "Thomas!" in a disapproving voice. My son looked at us both confused and then asked about Percy and James!!!!!

5. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

They don't call me by my 1st name, but they do call DH. It is usually when he is not listening and they are trying to get his attention so they say "Clifford" instead of "Cliff". I wonder where they get that from :rolleyes: :FIFblush: . It is so hard not to laugh when they do it and usually it is DD which makes it funnier, but DH does not think so.

6. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

The first time Evan called me "Jackie" threw me. I did not know he knew my name! :)

7. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

when Ian was little he couldn't say "grampa" so he used to just call my dad Al LOL!

8. emp59

emp59 Well-Known Member

The girls regularly call me "Emory". It makes me laugh. They normally do it right after DH calls me emily. They also called me "babe" for about a month. One time when C called me Emily, I told her that wasn't my name, my name was mama. Her response was, "Your name is mama and Emily tooooooooo"

9. TwinsInOkinawa

TwinsInOkinawa Well-Known Member

My kids like to use my "real name" as they call it when they are pretending to play house, as in one of them becomes Erica and it is hilarious to hear the other one calling "air-ca". Or they name their dolls our names.

My DH also called his parents by their names, I never liked that. Then, when he and his siblings were teenagers, his mom wanted to be called mother, so he alternates calling her mother and her name.

10. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My mil married a man who was a good dad to my DH when he was 5. At that time she tried to get him to go back to mommy and daddy and he refused.

11. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I call my dad by his name. /shrug

Alice has been calling me "mama" lately, which drives me bonkers. She has never called me mama before, I have no idea where this came from. And yeah, occasionally they'll call me Becky and my husband Mikey, but only when they're goofing off.

My aunt said something to Alice over xmas, and called her "Sissy" (which is a total southern thing to do, call your sister "sissy" or your brother "bubba") and she got all huffy and said to my aunt, "My name is ALICE!!"