Your babies eating routines

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by AimeeThomp, Jun 26, 2008.

1. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Here's what I've been doing, please share with me your babies eating habits. They are pooping like crazy, so I know they're getting enough, but I don't know if I should be giving them more table foods and less baby foods.

6 am - breakfast - 1 container each of a stage 2 fruit (I gave up on making the baby food myself awhile back)
    7 am - 3 - 4 ounce bottle
    10 am - 6 ounce bottle
    12 noon - 1 container each of a stage 2 veggie
    2 pm - 6 ounce bottle
    4 pm - 1 container each of a "dinner" baby food of some sort
    6 - 7 pm - 6 ounce bottle and bed

What is your feeding schedule like at 8 months old? Please share! Should I give them more for breakfast and lunch than just a fruit and a veggie? Aren't they still getting most of their nutrients from the formula?

TIA!

2. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

It wasn't until between 9 and 10 months that my girls started eating more and drinking less formula. I actually didn't introduce a third meal until 10 months old.

3. AimeeThomp

I'm scared to death for my babies to be off formula and to be responsible for them getting all the vitamins/minerals/nutrients from food! We never have anything to eat in this house other than really junky stuff for my husband and lean cuisines for me! I have a call in to the pedi now, I'm worried!

4. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(aimeethomp @ Jun 26 2008, 09:57 AM) [snapback]846902[/snapback]
    Here's what I've been doing, please share with me your babies eating habits. They are pooping like crazy, so I know they're getting enough, but I don't know if I should be giving them more table foods and less baby foods.

6 am - breakfast - 1 container each of a stage 2 fruit (I gave up on making the baby food myself awhile back)
    7 am - 3 - 4 ounce bottle
    10 am - 6 ounce bottle
    12 noon - 1 container each of a stage 2 veggie
    2 pm - 6 ounce bottle
    4 pm - 1 container each of a "dinner" baby food of some sort
    6 - 7 pm - 6 ounce bottle and bed

What is your feeding schedule like at 8 months old? Please share! Should I give them more for breakfast and lunch than just a fruit and a veggie? Aren't they still getting most of their nutrients from the formula?

TIA!

I am no expert as we are just starting the table foods... My boys get up and have an 8oz bottle(7am) then around 8am they get breakfast. Today it was a nutrigrain bar, diced peaches, and cheerios. They did pretty well. Then they will have a 6oz bottle, lunch-which could be baby food or some cut up cheese and turkey/chicken breast, then another bottle around 3pm(6oz) and dinner around 5/5:30(last night it was fruit and grilled cheese) and then an 8oz bottle at 6:30/7pm and bed!

So they get roughly 28oz/day of formula. Some days less-when they don't drink all of their bottles. Yesterday they actually only had 3 bottles. I'm thinking of dropping one of them-and making all the bottles 8oz-so they will still be getting 24oz-I think that's the minimum requirement for 8 months.

When I was doing all baby food-my boys split a veggie/fruit. So essentially they were getting one tub each. You can still give the baby food-but maybe start working on the finger foods? It's all up to you how you want to do it-and how comfortable you are with it. There is no wrong way to do the feedings! But maybe some finger foods-at least for the practice(I'm not sure if you've done finger foods. I think you might have based on your post).

I like how there are so many of us it seems starting out on this finger food/new food journey!

5. lorig6

lorig6 Well-Known Member

I'm slow on the foods. Justin has stomach issues so he only gets lunch but here is Leah's schedule.

6am- 7oz bottle
    8am- oatmeal and 1/2 container of stage 2 fruit (she won't eat more than that)
    10am- 7oz bottle
    2pm- 7oz bottle
    4pm- 1/2 stage 2 veggie, 1/2 stage 2 fruit.
    6:30- 7oz bottle then bed

6. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

My boys are 9 mos actual TODAY ( 8 adjusted).

I am trying desperately to MAKE them eat solid food but they just don't seem to like it. Like once a day I can get a decent amt in them but otherwise they'll just take a bite and keep it in their mouth!! It's like they don't like it so they won't eat it. They like yogurt so they always swallow that.

They are MUCH more into their bottles and probably COULD (would like to) take 10 oz!! I give them 8 oz per feeding and they chug it. They cry when I put them in their high chairs half the time and it's cuz they want their bottles instead!!

I'm trying not to worry but when I see how MUCH your kids are eating, I'm shocked!!! Mine would NEVER finish an entire container by themself. EVER.

I make my own and it's like one cube and 2 or 3 scoops of cereal and most of the time they do not finish that or even take more than 5 bites.

They get 32 oz of formula per day and I know that's a lot so I did an experiment and had them eat solids first every time and it still didn't affect the amt of formula. UGH.

Anyway, I'm just going to wait until they are ready. These are the babies that took 2 oz per feeding until they were 4 mos old!! Slow dudes I guess..

The amazing part is they are 23 and 25 lbs at 8 mos adjusted, 9 actual so they are definitely HEALTHY!!

Whatever.. as long as they're eating I'm okay.

They have their 9 mo ck on Thursday so I'll speak w/ Doc then.

I cannot believe how MUCH your kids eat! Nothing like that over here.

7. melissak

melissak Well-Known Member

Mine aren't quite 8 months yet but this is what we do

6am-8oz formula
    8am- Oatmeal or rice cereal with 1-2 jars of stage 2 fruit
    9:30am- 8oz formula
    12:30- 2 jars stage 2 veggies
    2pm- 8oz formula
    4pm- 1 jar stage 2 fruit and 1 jar stage 2 veggie
    5:45pm 8-10oz formula and bed

8. Leighann

QUOTE(aimeethomp @ Jun 26 2008, 10:11 AM) [snapback]846932[/snapback]
    I'm scared to death for my babies to be off formula and to be responsible for them getting all the vitamins/minerals/nutrients from food! We never have anything to eat in this house other than really junky stuff for my husband and lean cuisines for me! I have a call in to the pedi now, I'm worried!

:hug99: I've found that my DH and I eat better now that the girls are on table food. I buy lots of fresh fruit and lean meats... We have to cook more, but its been good for all of us.

9. AimeeThomp

For everyone giving table/finger foods - do your babies have teeth?
    Mine have not one tooth - still completely toothless with no sign of teething - I'm afraid they'll choke on anything not pureed!

10. cohlee

cohlee Well-Known Member

My girls are piggies, they love solids.

7am nurse
    830 breakfast (~3tbsp oatmeal and ~4oz yogurt/fruit/cottage cheese)
    930 nurse
    12noon nurse
    1pm lunch (~3tbsp cereal and ~4oz veggie and some fruit if they are really hungry)
    2pm nurse
    430 nurse
    5-530 dinner (~3tbsp meat/protein, ~4oz veggie X2 and ~4oz fruit)
    630-7 nurse

Plus at any given time they eat puffs or a few pieces of fruit in their mesh feeders.

I am just starting to try some meats, proteins and table foods like in the past 2 weeks.
    Maia has no teeth, Sofie has 2.

11. jentwinmom

jentwinmom Well-Known Member

Mine are not quite 8 months, but I was concerned that feeding them each 3 jars of baby food a day was too much. I am so glad to see some of the rest of you are doing that too. (They look at me like I am nuts at the grocery store when I have 50 jars of baby food)

To those of you that are feeding Cheerios - do your kids have teeth? Mine are both toothless, so I am scared about cheerios. (tried puffs, but they are not interested)

12. nepolm

nepolm Well-Known Member

I see nothing wrong with your schedule! Looks fine to me. They should still be getting the bulk of thier nutrients from BM/formula.

We have been a little slow with solids, they didn't start until 6 months. We are on Stage 2 foods and have not started any table foods yet....

Here's our schedule, but I have no idea how much milk they are getting since I BF!

7:00 - Nurse

8:00 - One jar of fruit mixed w/ oatmeal (split between the two of them)

9:00 - Nurse

11:00 - Nurse

12:00 - One jar of veggies (split between the two of them)

1:00 - Nurse

4:00 - Nurse

5:00 - One jar of meat/veggie mix + One jar fruit (split between the two of them)

6:00 - Nurse

(Both still wake at least once to nurse at night as well! :wacko: )

13. Leighann

QUOTE(Jentwinmom @ Jun 26 2008, 12:16 PM) [snapback]847151[/snapback]
    To those of you that are feeding Cheerios - do your kids have teeth? Mine are both toothless, so I am scared about cheerios. (tried puffs, but they are not interested)

We started cheerios before M had any teeth (Ana had only 2 on the bottom). I broke them into pieces for A LONG TIME because I was really nervous about their ability to gum it. Eventually they got whole cheerios and did fine even before they had a mouth full of teeth (even now they only have 6 each). FWIW I tried puffs too, but they terrified me even more because they are SO big and didn't disolve that easily (IMO).

14. jentwinmom

QUOTE(Leighann @ Jun 26 2008, 01:03 PM) [snapback]847248[/snapback]
    FWIW I tried puffs too, but they terrified me even more because they are SO big and didn't disolve that easily (IMO).

Exactly.

15. fluffhead

fluffhead Well-Known Member

Here is our schedule:

7:00 - 6-8 oz bottle
    8:30 - breakfast --- usually they each get oatmeal mixed with a jar of stage 2 fruit
    11 or 12:00 - 6-8 oz bottle
    3 or 4:00 - 6-8 oz bottle (sometimes less)
    5:30 - dinner -- they will each share 2 different dinner or veggie stage 2 jars (so each gets a full jar), and then will share one fruit or a yogurt between the two of them.
    7:00 - bottle, then bed

My DS LOVES to eat -- I have to cut him off or he would just eat and eat and eat!

I have been trying to offfer some finger foods before thier meals -- they love puffs, and DS will eat pretty much anything I put in front of him -- pieces of pancake, bananas or peahes rolled in graham cracker crumbs, cheese shreds, bagel pieces. DD will ONLY touch puffs, at this point. i think she has some texture issues with her fingers. Anything mushy, wet, slippery and she refuses to touch it. She will, however, eat it and like it if i put it on a spoon and feed it to her. Hopefully this is just a phase - I'd really like to get them eating more table foods.......

We will probably add a third meal and drop a bottle once we get settled in our new place next week and I am home with them before I start my new job.....

16. cole715

cole715 Well-Known Member

My girls are 8 months.

Here is their schedule:

7:30 6 oz bottle
    11:30 4 oz bottle and oatmeal with a jar of fruit (to split)
    2:30 4 oz bottle and 1 jar of a veggie (to split)
    5:30 4 oz bottle and 1 jar of dinner (to split)
    8:30 6 oz bottle

17. jentwinmom

QUOTE(cole715 @ Jun 26 2008, 02:38 PM) [snapback]847468[/snapback]
    My girls are 8 months.

Here is their schedule:

7:30 6 oz bottle
    11:30 4 oz bottle and oatmeal with a jar of fruit (to split)
    2:30 4 oz bottle and 1 jar of a veggie (to split)
    5:30 4 oz bottle and 1 jar of dinner (to split)
    8:30 6 oz bottle

This makes me feel like my girls are SUPER PIGGIES!!!!!!!!!!

18. faith1221

faith1221 Member

Let's see my boys will be 9 months old tomorrow.

7AM 5-6oz bottle
    9AM Oatmeal w/ pureed fruit
    noon 5-6oz bottle
    2PM Rice or other grain Cereal w/ Veggies
    4PM 4-5oz bottle
    6 PM Purred Veggies, Stage 2 chicken dinner
    7:30 5oz bottle and off to bed

My boys like solids...they eat 2 jars of food each and sometimes more! My doctor said to give them as much as they want. We are just starting to introduce finger foods. Such as the puffs, small pieces of soft fruit, etc and they enjoy that. We'll keep trying more once they get those down. Starting Finger foods seems to vary based on when you started solids. We didn't start any solids until they were after 6 months old. Each set of twins is different and I had one of my twins ready before the other. I also make a lot of my own pureed fruits and veggies. Very easy and cheaper than the jarred stuff. I also think it tastes better :)

19. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

8:30 - rice cereal or oatmeal w half tub fruit (split...i'll be doing a full jar to split tomorrow)
    9am - 8oz milk
    12:30 - 1 tub veggie split
    12:45pm - 7oz milk
    4:30 - 6 oz milk
    7pm - 1 dinner jar split
    7:45pm - 6oz milk

i feel ,like i'm feeding them their dinner too late. and yeah, i live off lean cuisines, too! no "real" food in this house!