your baby can read

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by 2Xthelove, Apr 25, 2009.

1. 2Xthelove

2Xthelove Well-Known Member

i got your baby can read and i think it is awesome for kids. check it out. my kids have been watching it for a bit now and have learned so much from it.

yourbabycanread.com

2. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Does it really teach them how to read?

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm not sure...to the OP how well did it work for your children?

4. 2Xthelove

QUOTE(aimeethomp @ Apr 25 2009, 01:33 PM) [snapback]1288111[/snapback]
    Does it really teach them how to read?

yes it does. u gotta see the videos of how much the kids learn from it. i think it is amazing. they have babies reading word cards.

5. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

I mean this as a nice question, and since emotion doesn't convey over the Internet I figured I should state that up front so y'all didn't think I was being jerky... so here's my question:

Why do you want your one or two year olds to read? I mean, is there some advantage to having them read so early?

Thanks!

6. jdio33

jdio33 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(idril @ Apr 25 2009, 02:14 PM) [snapback]1288153[/snapback]
    I mean this as a nice question, and since emotion doesn't convey over the Internet I figured I should state that up front so y'all didn't think I was being jerky... so here's my question:

Why do you want your one or two year olds to read? I mean, is there some advantage to having them read so early?

Thanks!

This is a question I also thought to myself? (also in a nice way!)
    The other thing is that it costs ALOT of $$$$$$$$$! I watched the thing on tv about it one day, and it kept saying it was $15.00! I knew this wasn't true so I called and asked....it was close to $200 for flash cards and dvd's someone could make themselves. This is JUST my opinion, but I don't PERSONALLY feel it's nessasarry for a BABY to read or to spend that kind of money on it. I may have thought about it if it didn't cost so much.
    I would also like to add that when I called I kinda cut the guy on the phone off to just "get to the point". ALL I wanted to know was how much it REALLY was, and told the guy I wasn't interested right then but would call them if I decided otherwise. They had caller ID and STILL call me all the time (usually during naps <_< )

7. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

I don't have much interest in it, honestly. I taught my older DD to read starting at 3 (after she already knew her letters and sounds), and she was reading pretty fluently by 4. Now, at 5, she's in great shape to start K in the fall, and comprehends what she reads very well.

Not sure what the advantage would be to force the issue even earlier? :unknw:

My little ones are currently watching Letter Factory, and starting to identify a bunch of letters and their sounds. If they show an early interest like their big sister did, I'll teach them at 3 or 4 as well. I used a book called The Reading Lesson with great success.

There's a really good book by Jim Trelease called the Read-Aloud Handbook, and he makes the point that if you push kids to read too early, they may learn how to do it, but they may also resent it and come to hate reading. I was really worried about that with Nadia, because reading is my passion, and I wanted her to love it like I do. So, I followed her lead on the whole thing, and we only did a "lesson" whenever she asked for one.

8. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(idril @ Apr 25 2009, 01:14 PM) [snapback]1288153[/snapback]

TBH I wondered this as well. Now if there was such thing as "Your baby can talk" and it actually worked I think I'd buy that one! I'm afraid my girls will never talk!

9. 2Xthelove

i did buy it. i have only had it for 3 days. i was wondering if anyone else used it. it says the benefits of the program is children have a window from newborn to age 5 where there brain develops fast and can learn alot in this time frame. why teach them words and meaning of it is so they have a head start in learning and if used at an early age it will be easier for them to understand things quicker when they r older. they see the words hear it see what it means and learn fast. it also helps them talking. he tells u how to help them get better tongue control to help them speak. when u see a 6 month old look at a card u hold up that says foot and touches her foot i think it is pretty amazing. head foot ears eyes and they point to it. they know what it is at 6 months old and can read it from a card. it is supposed to help the brain build receptors to learning and helping the child want to learn. :unknw: my hubby wanted the kids to have it and he was really excited about it and they u do enjoy the videos

10. tamaras

tamaras Well-Known Member

My SIL gave hers to us (they bought it and never used it) - we haven't even opened the box!! :blush:

11. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

based on what i've seen, it seems more like "memorization" than true reading. The same way the kids can point out objects in big picture books, they can learn what certain words "look like" and "read."

I haven't examined the whole program, this is just based on seeing a little bit of the commerical and something I read in another thread.

12. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

I thought it looked interesting... (I was enthralled with the infomercial) and really for the number of DVDs and CD and other stuff you get its really not priced too bad... though it would be like buying everything for retail... I have been watching the "Signing Time" dvds, and they do a similar thing of writing the word on the screen and saying it and then showing the sign language sign for it... for now I'm going to stick with the free from the library Signing Time dvds... but I know of several friends that have the Your Baby Can Read and really like it. I figure whatever you like to entertain your baby is worth it, and if they learn something extra that's a bonus. At least with dvds you don't get commercials like with regular tv programming...

13. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

I thought it was a nice idea but my girls never really got into it. They preferred Signing Time. We bought the DVDs a long time ago so it's wasn't as expensive back then. As far as being critical of babies reading, I see nothing wrong with them knowing words. Learning sight words is a good thing and does help with reading in the future. It also helps the children recognize that each word relates to a real object. If your kids enjoys it, great. If not, that's fine to. It's a little like preschool. It's not required for a well-rounded child but it's probably won't hurt if it's not overdone.