your first menstral cycle

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by haleystar, Aug 30, 2009.

1. haleystar

haleystar Well-Known Member

so i got my period yesterday and holy crap am i bleeding like crazy, wild mood swings and this terrible urge to sleep. the past 2 days i haven't been able to take care of my sons because i have been so miserable. i'm just wondering was/is it this bad for everyone? and how long does it usually last? i'm going through tampons and pads every hour, it's just awful!!!

2. BabyMoPlusThree

BabyMoPlusThree Well-Known Member

You might want to call your OB in the morning just to run it by them. Soaking through a pad in an hour sounds like a lot.

Hang in there. I got my period at 6 weeks PP with ODD. It's tough to deal with when you have a newborn. I've spotted with these girls, but so far AF has stayed away!

3. Momof2wonders

Momof2wonders Well-Known Member

I definitely think you should contact your doc about this as it sounds a bit excessive and a little early too. My period still hasn't come back since having the twins (3 months ago) and it came around 4-5 months after each of my older two.
    Hope you feel better soon, it sounds awful[​IMG]

4. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My first period once I stopped BFing and pumping was VERY heavy, much heavier than I have ever had. I got mine 4 months pp. I can't remember how long mine lasted for. But the really heavy bleeding only lasted about 2 days.

5. haleystar

2 days, that means tomorrow might be a little lighter.

my OB said that i should be over and done with my period 6 weeks post op. i'm not BF so that may have something to do with the fact that it has come at 5 weeks. i know i have a 6 week follow with my OB soon! if the bleeding continues passed 2 days i will definetly call. thanks summerfun for letting me know i'm not the only one!

6. rhc0607

rhc0607 Well-Known Member

Mine started yesterday and I am bleeding heavily too.

7. mollyjm

mollyjm Well-Known Member

Yup. WORST PMS ever! Heavy bleeding, hard starts. for me the first few periods are like this. they each get better. I would say after about 5 or 6 periods things seem to get better.

8. tundrababy

tundrababy Well-Known Member

Definitely give your doc a call if you are still bleeding heavy tomorrow just to be safe.....PMS is one thing but when you are already running a huge sleep debt its a whole different story - fortunately for everyone in my house I haven't had one yet.

9. Tarin

Tarin Well-Known Member

I was pumping and still got AF 5 weeks PP. And it was exactly like your describing. I called the doctor and went it to have it check and she said it was just a normal mentration returning. It was pure H*LL! Good luck- have you tried midol or anything?!

10. haleystar

pamprin usually works it's just getting to the store to get some. when i see her next i[m going to talk to her about IUDs or LOW dose hormone birth control.

11. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Kristine, I would get it checked if you are still bleeding heavily tomorrow. I think it's probably normal, my period has been SO MUCH worse after twins than before & really hasn't gotten any better after 3 years. But, since it's your first & you are only 5 weeks postpartum, I would phone if you have another heavy day. :hug:

12. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Yep, I bled forever too. I kept Tampax in business for awhile. Hang in there. :hug: