Your first period after having your twins - TMI

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Amylwood, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Amylwood

Amylwood Well-Known Member

Okay, So I hope I am asking this in the right place! If not please forgive me!! The twins are 6 weeks old yesterday and I started my period 3 days ago. It is SO HEAVY!! Is that normal. I do not remember it being this heavy with my other children. Is it normal to have a heavier period the first time after having twins? Your opinions are greatly appreciated!

2. becky5

becky5 Guest

From what I have read on the forums, it does seem pretty normal. Mine was extremely heavy, but also stayed heavy, so I ended up having an endometrial ablation last year because of it.

3. LMW1015

LMW1015 Well-Known Member

I didn't have my first period until the twins were 7 months old (due to breastfeeding until they were 6 months) but it was VERY heavy. I seriously considered going to the ER because I thought I was hemorraging (sp?). It was bad. It was pretty heavy for at least 3-4 days and then finally lightened up for the last 3-4 days. It was awful. Coincidentally that was the last period I had...I ended up getting pregnant right after that. Apparently you are pretty fertile after that first period. I had to have IVF to get my twins so just a word of caution. ;) I don't remember my period being so heavy with my first son so I am not too sure if it's heavier with twins or what. Just wanted to let you know you're now alone with the heavy stuff.

4. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Mine was very heavy for months. I would say longer than a year and now it has almost gone back to the way it was before twins. If you are soaking a pad in less than an hour, I would call your OB just to check in.

5. genagoodrow

genagoodrow Well-Known Member

Me too! I'm so glad for this thread. Not that I wish heavy periods on anyone else, but it's nice to hear I'm not alone. My periods came back at 14 months PP, since we've EBF, and since then I've had about 6 periods. The first was especially heavy. The rest are heavy too. It's really weird, and I feel a little worn out, but that could be psychosomatic. It's just disconcerting to see so much blood.

Guess it's normal, can't wait to go back to how it was before!

6. Amylwood

Okay this makes me feel better because it is sooo heavy and I was afraid it was just me. I had considered the ER too :)

7. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

Mine was VERY heavy the first few months and lasted 7 days when it used to be just 4-5 (even when I went back on the pill). Now...2 yrs later, I'm back to light and sometimes just for 3 days.

8. Amylwood

ugh I hope this heaviness doesn't stick around that long!!!

9. aimeemorgan1218

aimeemorgan1218 Well-Known Member

Add me to the list too. After I had my twins, my periods were SO HEAVY the first couple of months. I asked my doctor because that isn't normal for me at all. As we've all learned, pregnancy does crazy things to our body and causes major changes.

Good news! For me, I only had the uncontrollable heavy periods for three, maybe four months after they were born.

Good luck!!!

10. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine has stayed really heavy, and it's been 3 years now. It was never like this before I had the twins, I always had a fairly light period before. :hug: It's not fun & I hope it gets better for you!

11. atinar

atinar Well-Known Member

I got my period 2 months after delivering my twins. It was extremely heavy and lasted for over 3 weeks! I read that it would be heavy and was every day expecting it to end...until I finally called the doctor who prescribed me an anti-hemorrhagic medicine that made it stop. he told me to take for 30 days pills to regulate my hormones but I took it only for 3 days then stopped. the following 2 periods were also heavy but then it returned normal. Good luck.

12. WaterGuzzler

WaterGuzzler Well-Known Member

Mine was heavy, too. It started out with obvious old blood and finally turned red. I knew it was my body clearing out the old debris but that didn't help that I was still going through it-blech!