Your twins aren't really twins...

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by DayDreamin, Jul 21, 2009.

1. DayDreamin

DayDreamin Well-Known Member

I know a lot of people post the comments they randomly receive from strangers about their twins, so I thought I would share a comment I received about my twins.

I went to the mall the other day with my twins and was checking out when the cashier looked over the counter to see the babies in their stroller. She said "Oh! Twins?", and I said yes. She then asked it if was one boy and one girl, and I said yes, so her reply was "Well then they aren't really twins. Twins are g/g or b/b, not b/g." - :shok: What?! Gee, thanks for the education - NOT! :grr:

It didn't make me mad - actually it made me giggle a little, but I was so shocked by her comment, I didn't have a response. Anyway, I thought it might make some of you giggle :p .

2. Lorem Ipsum

Lorem Ipsum Well-Known Member

I would have told her that they started out as boy/boy twins, but that something went terribly wrong during the circumcision…

1 person likes this.
  3. ambernruby

ambernruby Well-Known Member

:rofl: love it! That would knock the little miss know it all look of her face!

Honestly i love how people try to educate you on your children.

4. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

I was visiting a distant wife of a relative (who was older) and we were talking about twins (since my sister & I are identical twins). There was just no point in arguing. She stated that since my sister is 1.5 inches taller than I am, we cannot be identical. There are just so many misconceptions about twins. Everyone is an expert!

5. becky5

becky5 Guest

:crazy:, but I have heard it too! :wacko:

6. Lizzybo

Lizzybo Well-Known Member

I was told this at the mall, too! Mine are b/b, but because they aren't identical I was told they aren't twins.

I didn't know this until recently, but some people think the word "twins" refers only to identical twins. I call that "twin snobbery."

7. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have heard that same comment. Many, many times. :wacko:

8. DayDreamin

DayDreamin Well-Known Member

:rotflmbo: That is hilarious!! Wish I had thought of it!

I do have one comeback that I have used a few times... when asked if they are identical I always say... "only above the diaper" :p

9. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

:rofl: Where have you been?

I wouldnt even know what to say to that.

10. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

i found out recently that my DH didn't realize you could have b/g twins until he was an adult. :blink: prior to that, i'd never heard of anyone not knowing that... :pardon:

11. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

That's hilarious!! :rofl:

I once had someone tell me that I had the *special* kind of twins since they were identical. Huh? I didn't realize there was a twin hierarchy. :rolleyes:

12. Kendra

Kendra Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Even twins can have it. I know IDs who won't mix with frats. I know twins who go on about being more special because they are mirror image (and think its a whole other type of twin). Its so silly when you break it down.

I'm extra super duper special I guess since I'm di/di identical mirror image.

13. piccologirl

piccologirl Well-Known Member

so true!

except it's even scarier when you find out who's NOT an expert. like, say, a doctor who didn't seem to understand that "identical" means they have to be the same sex. that was an odd moment. :blink:

14. lawilliams77

lawilliams77 Well-Known Member

You all are hilareous.
    I had never realized that there is twin snobbery but I do know there are some really goofy people in this world.

15. slr814

slr814 Well-Known Member

Oh, that's horrible! But too funny. My DH got a pretty weird one the other day. A woman asked if they are identical; he said no, then she asks if they are going to become ID... Ummm NO!

16. Lizzybo

Lizzybo Well-Known Member

Yes, twin snobbery and twin hierarchy! LOL

Mine are, I guess, pretty low on the hierarchy:

1. Frats (being not as "twinly" as ID)
    2. Conceived via IVF
    3. Born c-section
    4. Not exclusively breastfed

I am in good company, though, with all the twin parents here where reality takes precedence over these silly qualifiers - and we actually know what we're talking about and understand that we and our babies are all different, but "equal."

When my boys were about a month old I was at the grocery store and a mother of a singleton asked me if my boys were natural or c-section. When I told her they were c-section she said, "you got off easy!" I replied, "yeah, easy, if you call pre-eclampsia then a rare complication of developing HELLP Syndrome AFTER delivery, followed by nearly 2 weeks in the hospital, being separated from your babies for a time when you were desperately trying to establish breastfeeding...

It's all relative. We cannot truly judge, nor should we.

I'm glad we can laugh about those things here. :hug:

17. Brizzy_Twins

Brizzy_Twins Well-Known Member

I agree with this.. i get sick of mean comments like the ones everyone has mentioned. Some kid from school was trying to tell me and alisha that we were Fraternal rather than Identical. So weird.. we should know right? :rolleyes: Ive also got "you cant be identical cause T is bigger than A" and or "you arent be identical cause T as Cerebral Palsy and A doesnt.." :(

18. Farrah

Farrah Well-Known Member

funny!!!! i am a nurse and i have had several docs ask me while i was still pregnant about what i was having. i would tell them b/g and the next question would be are they identical...WHAT??? i mean i know i work in neurology but they did have an OB rotation in med school PLUS don't they have common sense??? LOL!

19. piccologirl

piccologirl Well-Known Member

oh yeah, i've gotten the "c-section is easy" comment. no one seems to get that you don't just happily dance into an OR at 33 weeks and have a c-section just because it was a clear day on your calendar. i was staring down the barrel of liver failure. even my own father didn't get how serious it was, and he actually visited the boys in NICU and saw all of the wires and monitors.

i've had people explain their ignorance by saying, "well twins always come early anyway." like if you had a singleton who showed up 6 weeks early they'd be worried, but since it's twins it's "normal" and "okay."

20. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

it's so funny - in my mind, i always think vag births (even without meds) are much easier. :pardon: at the end of the day though, i think each woman's birth experience is her own, with it's own good points and bad points. comparing birth stories is a little like comparing apples & oranges.

21. nicinthebu

nicinthebu Well-Known Member

Ughh that reminds me of a friend of mine who nearly peed her self she was so excited that one of her co-workers was having twins "naturally". She clearly implied that my kids were not nearly as special. (I took clomid- before learning I had 42 year old twin brothers. Yeah thanks! Even before my babies- I always thought all babies are a gift- no matter how you get them!