Your Two-Year-Old Terrible or Tender

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by cjk2002, Jun 11, 2010.

1. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

I actually ordered Your One, Two & Three year old from Amazon as a set awhile back. Never got around to Your One-Year-Old but I've been at my wits end with my boys so I pulled out Your Two-Year-Old last night.

I'm only into the 3rd chapter but it confirms everything that has been going on in our house with my 2 1/2 year olds; the tantrums, whinning, fighting ect. One minute they will be hugging each other and sweet as can be, and less than 5 minutes later they are screaming and fighting over a single lego. :grr:

It's been true that the first 5 or so months of two has been better than 18-21 months. But now they are 2 1/2....OMG. :crazy: :drown:

It has put my mind at ease that what is going on it pretty normal 2 1/2 year old behavior.

One piece of advice which I'm trying to remember is "don't ask" them to do things when you really "want them" to do things. Tell them "we're going in the car" instead of asking "do you want to go in the car".

I swear there are some days I don't think I will make it to naps or bedtime. :lazy:

2. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I love those books! I get each one from the used book store as my kids are approaching that age, then trade it in and get the next one. Just knowing that something is a normal developmental stage makes it easier (IMO) to deal with.

3. genagoodrow

genagoodrow Well-Known Member

Thanks for the nudge, I've had this sitting by my bedside for the last 7 months and never manage to get to it. Sure could use some guidance right about now!

:headbang:

Except when they're adorable. :laughing:

4. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:thanks: Judy. I know I have to mentally stop myself from asking "do you want to..." rather then, "this is what we are doing..." or if possible offering a choice of alternatives..."you have to wear pants/shorts...which ones, red or blue?"

The response I get when I say "do you want to..." is almost always "NO!" Even though I clearly I know that they want to do it. So I am working on eradicating "do you want to..." out of my vocabulary with the kids.

5. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

I remember someone on here mentioned increasing their "choices" just as a pp mentioned on this thread. I really increased the choices -- spoons, plates, etc.

I also found because I was getting frustrated i might not have been as affectionate. So I tried to really spend more time hugging, kissing, praising them.

My one daughter went through a really bad 6 weeks at 2.5 months but it did finally ease up. I just really tried to be consistent, red wine in the evenings..... I remember a friend told me that she was very strict with her daughter with the rules and I think I tried to do that as well. Sometimes when their bodies are out of wack I think having the strong boundaries are comforting.

Try to find times where you can take one out alone. Give them time away from each other too. Plus find some time for you so you can recharge your batteries.