Zantec anyone?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by reeba1976, Feb 7, 2007.

1. reeba1976

reeba1976 Well-Known Member

Does anyone have their kids on Zantec? If so, how is it working? My little guys started it today.

2. reeba1976

reeba1976 Well-Known Member

Does anyone have their kids on Zantec? If so, how is it working? My little guys started it today.

3. Brockgirl

Brockgirl Well-Known Member

It didn't work for us and I have heard it hasn't worked as well as the other meds. Also, if he has problems taking it, the pharmacist can make it with another base instead of alcohol (it made my daughter puke). Good luck! Hope it works for you. Cereal in my daughter's milk worked the best.

4. becky5

becky5 Guest

It didn't work for us either...but that doesn't mean it can't work for you! Good luck! [​IMG]

5. HRE

HRE Well-Known Member

It worked just fine for all 5 of my babies, and two friends' babies, and my neice. I think it depends on the child.

6. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

Didn't work for us. We're now on Prevacid.

7. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It worked great for my oldest DD, but not my twins. They are on prevacid.

8. Colette+2

Colette+2 Well-Known Member

Both of mine are on it and seems to help them quite a bit. It doesn't take all of their symptoms away, but it sure helps.

9. christineinhk

christineinhk Well-Known Member

it seemed to work for Ashley at first but seems to have stopped working now (she's been on since 23rd Jan). I'm trying to contact our pediatrician to change the Zantac... wish me luck!

10. double-or-nothing

double-or-nothing Well-Known Member

it worked for us in terms of taking the pain and discomfort of the reflux away but it didn't stop the spitting up. Cereal in the formula finally stopped that.

11. christineinhk

christineinhk Well-Known Member

oh no there is no prevacid available in Hong Kong.... [​IMG]

12. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

My girls have been on it since 2 months and it's been working for us. We did have to adjust Lauren at about 3.5 months because with her weight gain it wasn't working so well anymore. She has been fine since the adjustment. With Emma it doesn't stop the reflux 100% but does make a huge difference. Good luck!

13. Stephanie M

Stephanie M Well-Known Member

Our DD was on Zantac for about 5 months and DS for about 2 months. Mine did not have really bad symptoms; however, it seemed to help. Good luck.

14. sj3g

sj3g Well-Known Member

One of ours is on Zantac, and it works great! The only thing you have to watch is weight gain. Babies gain so rapidly the first few months that every so many weeks, the Zantac appears to not work. It just means the baby needs a larger dose to fit her weight. We'd just take her in, get a weight check, and up the dose. Twice they even let us weigh her at at home and they figured out the new dosage for us over the phone (this was on the weekend). HTH!

15. SweetpeaG

SweetpeaG Well-Known Member

WE've been on Zantac since the boys were 2 months old. My best advice for anyone trying ANY type of reflux medication is to not give up on it too soon. It took nearly 10 days for us to notice a difference when we first went on it.

3 months later the boys turned into projectile vomiting poltergeists again. We assumed it wasn't working...wrong. They had doubled their weight and needed a dosage adjustment.

This time it took nearly 2 weeks to notice an improvement. 2 weeks with babies in pain due to reflux (and not eating much b/c of it) is like an eternity. But what a difference after it finally kicked in.

16. amazedits2

amazedits2 Well-Known Member

It made such a difference for my DS. And as per the pp, just keep an eye on weight, as I could tell within about 5 days when he had "outgrown" the current dose.

We have been able to wean him off now that he's so much solid food, so the good news is that they aren't on it forever.

Good luck!

17. delby23

delby23 Well-Known Member

Didn't work for us. DDs just started on Prevacid and Maalox.

18. Dragonfly76

Dragonfly76 Well-Known Member

Didn't work for us. As well as [​IMG] Prevacid

19. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

It works for us because my guys puke less than they would without it, but they still get sick [​IMG] Someday I hope that the brown/ off white stains will end! [​IMG]

20. txtwinmom2b

txtwinmom2b Well-Known Member

Zantac is working ok with my little guy. I have noticed a difference after several weeks.

As someone said, Zantac doesn't work with some babies. ONe of my good friend's baby has reflux as well. Zantac didn't work and she's also on Prevacid and cereal in a bottle.