Zofran- How long?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by melthoreson, Feb 22, 2009.

1. melthoreson

melthoreson Well-Known Member

I have been on Zofran for over a month and each time I try to ween off of it I get really sick again. How long did any of you take it? Every time I call in for a refill they question whether I really need it and I explain what happens and they give it to me, but I'm wondering when they'll cut me off. Just yesterday I tried to skip a dose and I threw up in the mall parking lot...ugh!!!

2. Rayajane

Rayajane Member

They put me on Zofran to start with and I had the same problem so I had them switch me to compazine. I then weaned myself off of that. I would talk to your doctor about what is happening and see if there is anything you can do or if they think that you may just need to continue taking the Zofran. Sorry you don't feel well.

3. Chicklet

Chicklet Well-Known Member

I'm on diclectin which is the Canadian antinausea pill. I know so many ppl who took it through their whole pregnancy and ended up w healthy babies. To me if it makes you feel better, keep taking it through the whole pregnancy. I never want to feel like I did b/f diclectin again, so I'm staying on it. No need to take that risk lol

4. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

From week 6 to delivery day- 38 weeks 2 days - 2 healthy babies. Hope you start feeling better soon.

5. Haley'sHope

Haley'sHope Well-Known Member

i took it from about 5 1/2 weeks until the week that i delivered. my doctor never told me he wouldn't write more & he knew i was taking it. i was one of those lucky people who never got over the morning sickness, & even with zofran i still felt very nauseous, bluh!

6. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

I had the SAME problem. The OB was like you are 12 weeks, why don't you try NOT taking it... :bad: I feel your pain!!

I'm not sure you want to hear it, but I was on it till I gave birth!!! I hope you don't have the same fate!! :hug:

7. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I was on diclectin too.. I couldn't make it more than a couple hours without until I got to be around 18 weeks. Now I still have occasional nausea, but nowhere near what I had before! Good luck

8. melthoreson

melthoreson Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for your replies! I actually am relieved to hear that some of you took it your whole pregnancy...I can't even bear to think about going without it! I was sick my entire first pregnancy with NO MEDS (my dr. never offered) and this time is worse, so I hope to continue on as needed!

9. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

I slowly weaned yself off it as I flet better. i think I was about 32-33 weeks when I no longer needed it.

10. E&Msmom

E&Msmom Well-Known Member

I only took it till I was around 14 weeks. How many do you take a day?
    I think I slowly started taking less each day. I also found other things that made me feel better. As my appetite got better and I could keep things down and keep something in my stomach I found I needed them less and less. Some people DO need those meds the whole time. Do what makes you feel the best!

11. lorileahb

lorileahb Well-Known Member

Thanks for this thread! I just hit 12 weeks and am Zofran... still feeling pretty sick and wondering the same thing. It is good to hear about all of the happy, healthy babies. :D