Zoo trip with my crew

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by christinam, Apr 6, 2011.

1. christinam

christinam Well-Known Member

Wow so that was NOT fun. It was so nice today. I feel bad for the big kids cause they didn't get to see what they really wanted. The twins just did not cooperate one bit. The other three just were kinda go with the flow type of babies. Not these two. I guess it was because we've stayed home so much. I dont know but today was a bust. They dud t want to sit they didnt always want to be carried. They were so restless. I need to be better prepared next time to keep them entertained.

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug: When we did our first zoo visit, our twins were 10 months old. I kept the kids in the stroller and kept them happy with snacks. Your twins are young and they will come around to the zoo. When we took our twins again at 17 months, they enjoyed it a lot more and really did like looking at the animals.

3. 5280babies

5280babies Well-Known Member

I live by our zoo and have a membership. I remember first taking them around this age - we lasted 1 hour at a time! :) Good for you for trying and I hope you continue. It does get easier. Around 18 months they LOVED the reptile house and I would hold their hands and walk with them for short spurts. Then they were more tired and willing to get back into the stroller. Now at 2 they really want to walk but I have to make bargains with them. The second warning of them not listening they have to get back into the stroller. They know when they don't mind because they don't cry getting back in. All in all, by taking them now you are paving the way for future successes I think. My key for any outing now is snacks and drinks, usually start with milk and then have water/juice mixture ready. I hate packing all that stuff but it helps immensely. Of course I did not have 3 other kids with me. Good luck to you!

4. christinam

christinam Well-Known Member

We had a pass the year before last and used it all the time. The kids love the zoo. I bought a pass again this year. I know it will go better next time as long as I'm prepared. The next day it was super pretty so I packed a lunch and we all went to the park and had a picnic. The girls did much better because I was better prepared. Im planning on going back again this Tuesday.

5. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug: Hooray for you for trying!!! I can feel your pain on things maybe not going as planned... My boys were awesome whenever we went out. When I go out now with Annabella in tow, I need to think of anything and everything to keep her entertained. I actually just took her to the zoo for the first time this weekend as well. She surprisingly did relatively well-but she's older and could walk around-and I was with another person.

At that age...I would bring tons and tons of little snacks that they could have-cheerios, gerber puffs, etc. And-hope for the best the second time around!

6. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My first time was a bust, too. A peacock wandered too close to Orion who had an epic freakout. Of course I recently took them to a petting zoo and a cow tried to lick him which resulted in another freakout. I think mine would really enjoy the zoo now, though.