Zoo

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by atinar, May 3, 2010.

1. atinar

atinar Well-Known Member

Hello,

My DH believes that the zoo is not a healthy place to take our LOs to, since may God forbids they might get some infections. Did you take your one year old kids to the zoo and did they enjoy it? Also do you think it's a healthy place for one year old babies.

Thanks a bunch for your replies.

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I took my two to the zoo for the first time when they were 10 months old and they did not get sick. I think the part that might concern your DH is the section where some zoos do have a petting zoo and most of them will advise to wash your hands before touching the animals and after touching the animals. My kids loved the zoo when they went at 10 months and when we went last summer while on vacation. They were enchanted by all the animals. Good luck on your decision!

3. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

We have taken them to plenty of zoos! I agree with Nancy about the petting zoo part of it. At that age, I would keep it mostly a looking sort of trip. No hands on until they are putting their hands in their mouths less.

4. brandycaviness

brandycaviness Well-Known Member

My girls love the zoo. We have been members at our local zoo for 3 years or so. We don't have a petting zoo area, but as long as you make sure their hands are washed, it shouldn't be a problem. We've never gotten sick. Have fun!!

5. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

We took ours to the zoo at 11 and 13 months. They loved it. I'm not the least bit worried about germs. In fact, I'm more worried about that around other kids, opposed to animals.

6. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

We're zoo members, and DH and I just took the boys there this past Friday! You should have *seen* the number of kids (even newborns) there. It was like the Stroller Brigade! :rotflmbo: So obviously people around here aren't worried about bringing babies to the zoo.

I think some people (as PPs have mentioned) have problems with petting zoos. I've heard some concerns about germs when kids can touch the animals. But since we live in the country and regularly have horses nibbling on our boys' fingers, even that doesn't bother me! I'd just make them wash their hands afterward.

Most zoos don't let patrons touch the animals (outside of the petting area), so going to the zoo should be about as risky as going to the park. :pardon:

7. SheriBrownDion

SheriBrownDion Well-Known Member

My boys have all greatly enjoyed the zoo. Regarding germs from animals - there was a study that came out not too long ago stating that our immune systems are not as stong as our grandparents's were because we are not exposed to animals. The thought being we live in a more sterile urban environment versus on the farm. I thought that was interesting and can look for the reference if interested. I have no idea if it's true. We do always wash our hands before and after the petting zoo - if there is one.
    Good luck in your decision.

8. irisflower

irisflower Well-Known Member

We just went to the zoo. We did not participate in the petting areas. I kept them in the jogging sbs stroller most of the time & they loved all the animals.
    I also was concerned about exposing them to animals since I'm severely allergic to animals but we were far enough away that I was fine, and hopefully less allergin exposure for them too.

9. ssb2e

ssb2e Well-Known Member

We've been a couple of times as well and mine are 18 months now. They never got sick, but as pp said, we didn't pet any animals. I am actually taking them again this weekend, this time to a petting zoo. I don't know that I'll actually let them touch the animals or not, but I have antibacterial wipes and stuff if they do. I'm not one that worries much about germs though either.

10. Fossie

Fossie Well-Known Member

We have taken our two to the zoo since well before they could ever appreciate it - like 5 months old! We go all the time since we have a membership and they have a great play area if we don't feel like walking the zoo. My kids love it and imitate so many animal sounds and know the names of the animals because of how much fun they have there. Driving home from daycare it sounds like I have a zoo in my backseat because we go through all of the animals we see and they tell me what they say! I am not a germaphobe at all, but dh is and he has never seemed to care that we go into the petting zoo part - we just use antibacterial wipes. They absolutely love the petting zoo since they can run around and there are "babies" (baby animals) in there. DS is scared of the goats that roam around, but he will spend hours "talking" to the ducks and the pigs - two of his favorite words! As you can tell, I love the zoo and think it is a great place to take the kids!