Baby B not moving or breathing at 38 weeks

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by chadanddan, Nov 4, 2009.

  1. chadanddan

    chadanddan Active Member

    I woke up this morning and noticed our baby girl, baby B wasn't moving so I changed my scheduled 38 week ultra sound from tomorrow to this morning. We showed up and OB didn't seem too worried until he started the ultrasound and saw that she was not moving! Her heart rate was fine (around 130), but she was not breathing as she always had and no matter how much he poked her, she would not move...... He stayed calm and sent us straight to L&D for continuous heart monitoring. After being there for an hour the nurse said everything looked fine and called my OB. She gave me a message from him saying to see him again on Tuesday............ I can't wait 6 days.

    Has anyone ever had this? I am so worried that it may be the beginning of something bad, and I am driving myself crazy! I am already so emotional and sad, this is just making matter worse.

    I called his office to schedule and appointment for tomorrow, but he was in surgery, so I will call in the AM.

    Any similar stories would be very much appreciated as I can't stop thinking about it!

    Thanks.
     
  2. Kyrstyn

    Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

    :hug: Momma! I wish I had some good advice for you, but I have never heard of that. I wish you and your little one's the best. I hope you can get in contact with your Dr soon! :hug:
     
    1 person likes this.
  3. MNTwinSquared

    MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

    :hug: I've never heard of that. I am surprised that you didn't get a delivery date immediately. I would want some answers. :hug: Do you have a date that your doctor won't let you go past??? I would definitely call your doctor as soon as he is available and talk. :hug:
     
  4. MLH

    MLH Well-Known Member

    That would totally freak me out too. I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. I think I would insist that I get back in and be seen by the Dr. to talk about the results and possibility of delivering. I don't think I could wait 6 days. No way! How's she doing now? Have you drank any OJ or other sugery stuff to maybe perk her up? I'm glad her hb was good, that's great news. Keep us posted.
     
  5. becasquared

    becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

    You're at 38 weeks already, I'd be calling and calling and calling. Is there anything you can take to induce labor?
     
  6. teamturner

    teamturner Well-Known Member

    I'd also recommend calling your OB's office and demanding to be seen. Also, call your perinatologist, if you have one. Even though my OB specializes in multiples, I've noticed that the perinatologist takes any issues very seriously... and their schedules are usually less insane than an OB.
     
  7. MLH

    MLH Well-Known Member

    You know, on thinking about this a bit more I'd probably go to the ER/labor delivery and say that you still aren't feeling her move and need to be seen. I don't think I'd chance waiting. Not to make you paranoid, but I'm willing to bet you won't stop worrying anyways.
     
  8. chadanddan

    chadanddan Active Member

    I have felt her move twice (small movements)- once while being monitored and once while drinking a full coke and chocolate bar this afternoon!

    He said last week that he won't let me go past 39 weeks and we were suppose to discuss induction but it was a bit hectic and rushed today that we did not even do any measurements.

    I do have a fetal heart monitor at home that I will use to check on her, but I want to know why she is not moving all of a sudden? No room, lack of nutrients? Baby A moves all the time.

    I am going to make sure I get in to see him in the morning.... will let you know how it goes.

    When I was at L&D this afternoon, they said I can come back at anytime if I am worried, so that is always an option.
     
  9. k2daho

    k2daho Well-Known Member

    l agree with all of the PPs who said to just go back and demand some answers. This is your baby we're talking about and not to be scary, but with multiples sometimes bad things do happen quickly late in the pregnancy if the placenta is deteriorating (which is common). If they didn't given you any actual explanation or reason NOT to worry then I'd go back and stay there til I got some answers. You are the Mother and have every right to worry and want to know what could possibly be going on. I'm amazed that they wouldn't want to monitor you longer.

    Did they do an NST and was she having the proper accelerations?
     
  10. TwinLove

    TwinLove Well-Known Member

    :hug: :hug: I'm sorry you have to worry about this. I'm with the others, I'd be calling and demanding more then "see you in six days". I don't quite understand why they aren't worried a bit more? :hug: Please keep us posted.
     
  11. cat mommy

    cat mommy Well-Known Member

    I don't mean to scare you, but lack of breathing and decreased movement are both signs of hypoxia (lack of oxygen). This can be caused by a failing placenta. In twins, placentas are particularly prone to failing after 38 weeks. This is why few peris will let twins go past 38 weeks. Even with hypoxia, baby's heart can keep beating for a period of time but within 7 days 60% of babies without breathing & movement will be dead.* So please RUN RUN RUN back to L&D or the nearest ER or call an ambulance.


    I am posting a link with more info on lack of breathing and movement, but please don't waste time reading it now. http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/405454-overview

    *I read this today while researching these issues for myself. I don't have the citation handy right now.
     
  12. Jenn G

    Jenn G Well-Known Member

    I would also go straight to L&D- that's what they're there for!! I'm really surprised that at 38 weeks they would send you home! They should have induced you right then and there. I hope everything turns out ok- please keep us posted and good luck!!
     
  13. FirstTimeMom814

    FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

    I agree with pp. Definitely go to L&D as soon as possible and do not wait 6 days . Please keep us posted.
     
  14. qfmom2009

    qfmom2009 Well-Known Member

    Our baby would do that also. They always did NST's on me after that.

    As I understood it breathing movements do not have to be seen on every u/s....although they sure do put ones mind at ease. Remember that babies don't really breath in the womb.

    Keep us posted.

    Edited to put this~ The reason for the NST was to look for an increase in heart rate when babies moved. If they weren't active they could use the buzzer to get them to move.

    HTH,
     
  15. watersurfers

    watersurfers Well-Known Member

    Wow, I would demand to be induced. Honestly. 38 weeks is done enough! My doc wouldn't let me go past 38 weeks. My baby B was so squished up in my ribs, I didn't feel her move near the end at all. I am VERY glad we delivered at 38 weeks and no later, because she was two pounds smaller than baby A, and her placenta was HALF the size of her brothers and it was failing. Had I waited seven days longer, she probably wouldn't have done so well. I think this kind of size discordance and placenta issue aren't something a lot of docs see or know about (unless they are old school or peris). So for me, having fraternals di/di, I had the least of all dangers with twins. I think in that respect, some docs are TOO relaxed about it, and aren't aware there are still potential disasters. Good luck to you mama.
     
  16. HollyP

    HollyP Well-Known Member

    Don't wait six days. It's not worth the risk. This is enough that I'd definitely be demanding answers and actions - better safe than sorry right? Hoping all is okay, but be cautious and be your own advocate here.... best wishes :)
     
  17. lianyla

    lianyla Well-Known Member

    That is downright bizarre that ANY doctor would SEND YOU HOME given the circumstances.. (ALL OF THEM, combined OR separate.) even if you JUST had the low movement w/o beign 38 weeks.. they should section you NEVER MIND the fact that you have full term twins, (my doc does NOT go past 37 weeks w/ twins!) and one is not moving or breathing well..

    I don't understand situations like this. There is absolutely no excuse for not delivering you right there.

    Good luck and the benefits of delivery GREATLY outweigh the risks/consequences here.

    Keep us posted. The placenta is iffy after 37 weeks with twins... Mine were sharing a placenta and I've seen too many things go wrong after 36 weeks, so we had them at 35 and 2 to be safe. I worry SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much about waiting too long!!
     
  18. MamaKimberlee

    MamaKimberlee Well-Known Member

    I agree - I would damand some attention. Or ask for a second opinion. It's time to get those babies OUT!!!!!
     
  19. sigkap13

    sigkap13 Active Member

    Any luck getting into the doctor's office yet? Wishing you the best and sending positive healthy vibes your way and to the babies!
     
  20. WaterGuzzler

    WaterGuzzler Well-Known Member

    At 38 wks I would march right back to the hospital and refuse to leave until those babies are in my arms. I am certainly not an advocate for early deliveries but you are full term. I hope you get in today. Hugs and prayers.
     
  21. Zevy

    Zevy Active Member

    Agree. I'd demand an induction since you're already 38 weeks. Or a C section, since that would probably be safer for Baby B.

    Let us know.
     
  22. k2daho

    k2daho Well-Known Member

    Please update us all when you can. Hopefully no response so far means that you are at the hospital having your beautiful babies or at least getting more answers! Thinking of you and checking back to see how things are often :)
     
  23. Kyrstyn

    Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

    Thinking about you and your babies this morning. I hope you were able to get a hold of your Dr. :hug:
     
  24. Jenn G

    Jenn G Well-Known Member

    Ditto! I've been stalking this thread hoping for an update and I really hope that no news is good news!! Thinking of you and your babies!! :)
     
  25. Susanna+3

    Susanna+3 Well-Known Member

    I think I would be more concerned about the lack of movement than the 'breathing.' But ITA with the other posters...why on earth would your doctor have you wait 6 days??? Even in my singleton pregnancies the doctor would've had me in the office twice a week at that point if something like that were going on. At a minimum bringing you back in the next day with instructions to drink lots of juice before you get there!! I would press the issue. Go with your mommy instinct and push for another opinion/possible induction.
     
  26. mom23sweetgirlies

    mom23sweetgirlies Well-Known Member

    I agree with the others in hoping that you went back to L&D or the E.R. and that they are getting those babies out! I cannot believe they would send you home and say wait 6 days, there is no way in he** I could do that! 38 weeks with twins is plenty done enough to have them out especially if one or both is having any issues. Please update as soon as you can.
     
  27. AmyH

    AmyH Well-Known Member

    Can't wait to hear an update... I've been thinking about you all night.. Good luck!
     
  28. chadanddan

    chadanddan Active Member

    Thanks ladies! I am still with babies... and you are going to love this story!

    So, I don't live in the US and there is only 1 hospital that is equipt to handle high risk pregnancies (only 2 hospitals on Island) and anything before 30 weeks gets flown to Florida.

    Anyways, I called my doctors office this morning and spoke to his nurse, who also happens to be his wife and discussed how I was very worried and can't wait until Tuesday to see if baby B is OK. She said that I was scheduled to come in on Saturday morning, which no one told me. Then she went over the scan results with me and said that everything was great. I did say that I am still worried and want to discuss inducing - she said that my doctor tried to schedule another patient for tomorrow, but because Friday and Monday are public holidays here and they don't accept inductions on the weekends, the earliest we could get in was Tuesday! How insane is that? DH said they would have to take emergencies, but because this was the hospital that did the test, they are saying everything is fine...... urggg. It is so frustrating.

    On a better note, I did eat an entire box of chocolate and a big glass of OJ last night and did kick counts. I did feel her move (although not as strong as her brother) and her heart rate was still great.

    So, we have an appointment on Sat morning, could be induced on Tuesday and I will keep checking on her myself. Other than that and being positive, I don't know what else to do - well I am starting all the "natural" inducing methods at home :)


    Thanks for all the concern and advice, I will keep you updated!
     
  29. garden2009

    garden2009 Well-Known Member

    Thinking of you and your babies!!! I hope you were able to convince your doctor!!!
     
  30. MamaKimberlee

    MamaKimberlee Well-Known Member

    Since you are trying "natural" methods - And I'm glad you are - her's the one that worked for both me and my BF. Breast stimulation. I'm serious. A more "medical" way to do it is to use a breast pump. But I was so desperate one morning I just layed in bed and strated rubbing my own nipple ( :pardon: what can I say I was desperate!) And after 20 minutes I started having contractions, I kept rubbing till they hurt too much to talk through and they were coming regularly. 8 hours later I had my daughter vaginally. It works!!!

    ps if you know me IRL - pretend you never read this!!!!! Especially if you happen to be my male cousin!!!
     
  31. chadanddan

    chadanddan Active Member


    LOL! Pretty sure I don't know ya! Will try this out tonight! Thanks.
     
  32. kmay

    kmay Well-Known Member

    I would go in and demand to be seen. My OB said she won't have me go past 38 weeks so you are well within the safe range of delivery. Fullterm for a singleton is 37 weeks so I don't understand why they would want to push you to 39 weeks.
     
  33. pamallhoney

    pamallhoney Well-Known Member

    Pineapple, lots of fresh pineapple started contractions with my fourth child. :) I am praying everything is alright with B.
     
  34. Snittens

    Snittens Well-Known Member

    I would probably go to the hospital, any hospital, ASAP. Not to scare you either, but Ainsley also had decreased movement towards the end and I kept getting sent for BPPs. They were delivered at 38 weeks exactly, and the doctor said her placenta showed signs of breaking down and calcification, and it's a good thing they got her out. She had some issues at birth too (don't want to scare you half to death, so won't get into it). PLEASE go to the hospital!!
     
    1 person likes this.
  35. HorseyLover

    HorseyLover Well-Known Member

    I'm praying for you and your babies! Hang in there!
     
Loading...
Similar Threads Forum Date
Weaning bottles, Paci's, with moving and new baby The Toddler Years(1-3) Jan 9, 2010
Baby moving video Pregnancy Help Nov 11, 2009
How do you know which baby is moving? Pregnancy Help Jan 22, 2009
worried- baby b is not moving AGAIN, how many of you been through similar, often? Pregnancy Help Sep 5, 2008
Which pets are best for the baby? General Apr 8, 2020

Share This Page