many people had uneventful pregnancies following twins?..

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by marikaclare, Jan 16, 2012.

  1. marikaclare

    marikaclare Well-Known Member

    Hello all -
    I'm 16 weeks pregnant with a single baby who is looking like a little girl on USGs! I am being followed pretty closely by a high risk ob - every two weeks I see her and have an ultrasound to check my cervix and the baby. I had a difficult pregnancy with the boys and was on bed rest, had cervical funneling, preterm labor, and then ultimately the boys had twin twin transfusion syndrome and needed to come out pretty early. Anyways, I appreciate being followed closely but every time they look at my cervix I get worried and it brings me back to my pregnancy with the boys.
    I love to read about the success stories after twins! Hope everyone is doing well!
  2. MusicalAli

    MusicalAli Well-Known Member

    I've had two mostly uncomplicated pregnancies following my twins (during which I had pre-e with severe edema but the babies themselves had no issues. And no pre-term labor, either). My pregnancy was only complicated with my DD at delivery because she was ginormous :)
  3. miss_bossy18

    miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

    Super smooth singleton pregnancy here! I had one u/s at 19 weeks to confirm a head count & find out the gender. Other than that, it was an almost boring pregnancy. I did end up being GBS positive but my water didn't break until the very end of pushing so we chose not to get the antibiotics. Emmett was born at home, healthy as a (big 9lbs 2oz) horse & my recovery was very straightforward as well. :good:
  4. weegus

    weegus Well-Known Member

    My twin pregnancy was mostly uneventful but they arrived at 31 weeks due to preterm labor that could not be stopped (no other complications). My second pregnancy was also uneventful but I was a nervous wreck with every cramp or contraction that I felt. I made many calls to my doctor and asked for FFTs at every visit after 28 weeks (all came back negative). I wasn't quite sure what I did wrong or what I missed with my twin pregnancy that resulted in such an early delivery. Ryan was technically also preterm arriving at 36 weeks big and healthy at 7 lbs 15 oz. We went home together the very next day... a welcome change to staying 19 days at the hospital with babies in the NICU!!

    I am also 16 weeks pregnant now with my fourth child and still have some worry. My doctor recommended progesterone shots, which are supposed to prevent preterm delivery so maybe I will have peace of mind this time around. Hopefully, the issues you had with your first pregnancy were just related to the twins and you will enjoy a smooth and uneventful second pregnancy!! Congrats!
  5. Katheros

    Katheros Well-Known Member

    Both my pregnancies were uneventful. They were so uneventful that I had to be induced both times! All three of my boys were born full term (and then some) and healthy.
  6. Meximeli

    Meximeli Well-Known Member

    My singleton pregnancy was so smooth, that during the second trimester I could be working at my desk and go to scoot my chair in more, and find I couldn't because--oh gosh, I forgot, I'M PREGNANT!

    But as far as twin pregnancies go, my twin pregnancy was pretty uneventful, it was hard for me, much harder than the singleton one, but I did not have any of the complications you had.
  7. marikaclare

    marikaclare Well-Known Member

    Thanks ladies for all the positive responses, it gives me some new energy and hope! I am so hoping that we are lucky enough to have an uneventful pregnancy too!
  8. monie rose

    monie rose Well-Known Member

    Other than the subchorionic hematoma that cleared up quickly in the 1st trimester and the weekly u/s's due to me getting Fifth Disease from my twins my pregnancy was very uneventful. He was my 5th ds. So 4th full term pregnancy and when I was induced at 39 weeks 2 days I was only about 1cm and 50% effaced. My OB was surprised that I hadn't already had him. No the induction was another story. Here is that...

    As you know I was induced on September 8th. I had to call L&D at 4:30am to make sure it was still happening for 5:30 am. Well, we get to the ER to check in because the hospital hasn't opened yet and no one is there. So I call up to L&D because I didn't want them to think I was a no show. Well, someone comes down to get me.
    I'm taken to one of the rooms and they check my vitals and do some setting up with the IV and monitors. Then they start the pitocin at 6:15am. I didn't even realize it. My contractions only felt like BH at that point. I was also only 1cm and 50% effaced.
    At 8:30am my OB came in and I was only 2cm and still 50% effaced. So she broke my water. A few minutes after that I had a huge contraction and it caused me to spring a leak. As I referred to it to my dh.
    By 10am the pitocin was put to 42 on the screen, which is 14 by there measurements. It was so unbearable I asked for an epidural.
    At 10:30 the anestesiologist came in to put the epidural in. It took forever as she kept hitting my bone and I would jump not to mention my contractions were coming every 30 secs or so. She also was a real B..... to me and the nurse and nursing student. To me she kept saying things like don't move, you don't have to do that and some other crap. Excuse me for having contractions and the needle hurting the crap out of me. To the nursing student she made some comment about one of the first things you learn is how to turn off the alarm because one of the alarms had gone off. The nursing students are not supposed to touch any of the equipment. They can only observe how they work.
    So finally by 11:30 the epidural was in and working great! So I told my dh to go eat and check how the twins were at home. My IL's were watching them.
    He gets back about 1pm and I tell him that the nurse had just stopped the pitocin because Lennox was having decels and they are hoping that his heart rate goes back up. Which it had, but it also stopped my contractions. By that time I was only 5-6cm dilated.
    They restarted the pitocin very low at whatever 2 is. which caused my contractions to start, but they were not close. So they put it up to 4 by 2:15.
    By 2:45pm Lennox was having decels again. So the nurse called my OB who said check to see how I'm progressing and where the baby was. Well the baby was at -1 where he'd been for the last 3 hours and I was only 7cm and 70-75% effaced.
    The nurse calls my OB back to let her know and she decides to put in a intrauterine pressure catheter. So the nurse comes in my room and tells me because the baby keeps having decels that my ob would be coming down shortly to put the device in.
    So they get everything set up for that so its all ready for when the dr arrives. Well the dr comes in and gets gloves on and opens the package. Then she says she's going to move my legs so she can get it put in.

    Now here's the unbelievable part I warned about!
    She puts my legs up and says "I won't be doing that his head is right there!"
    I was like it is and she says yes and not to push. I said I won't just then she says I guess your body will and she asked for a bulb syringe because POP out came his head. She suctioned him out unwrapped the umbilical cord from around his neck and then told me to push. Really it was only a half a push to get his body out. So at 3:22pm my little Lennox was born. They didn't even have time to set the bed up. It went that quick. Remember just about 35 minutes before hand I was 7cm and 70-75% effaced and Lennox was at -1. So in that time he dropped into the birth canal to have his head starting to crown and me to be fully dilated and effaced.
    Well they took him to the warmer and did the apgar test which for both 1 minute and 5 minutes he scored a 9 out of 10. They weighed and measured him too. They put him back under the warmer and his temp was only around 95 degrees so they wrapped him in a blanket and brought him by me for a second so I could see him and then the took him to an isolet to get him warmed. He was there for over 2 hours. I had my dh go with him.
    They brought him back to the L&D room I was in because I couldn't leave till my legs were better.
    I finally got into a regular room by 6:15pm. almost 3 hours after he was born.
    So anyway! Lennox Robert was born September 8th @ 3:22pm weighing 8 pounds 1 ounce and measuring 21.5 inches.
  9. pamallhoney

    pamallhoney Well-Known Member

    The pregnancy that I had when the twins turned 4.5 months old was very successful except for a failed VBAC attempt. And now this pregnancy is going well too. Although nothing really went wrong with my twin pregnancy. I hope you have a very uneventful pregnancy and even if they weren't checking you I think all of us moms have things we could worry about.
  10. MNTwinSquared

    MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

    Both my pregnancies were pretty uneventful thankfully!
  11. SC

    SC Well-Known Member

    Hi there. I recognize your user name and recall that your boys were born at about the same gestation as mine, also due to acute TTTS. While my pregnancy with them was great up until the last week, it's the terror of the last week and their extreme early birth that sticks with me.

    Like you, I was very worried during my next pregnancy that something would go wrong. I couldn't imagine an uneventful, full-term pregnancy. But, I had one. So, know that it can and more than likely will happen. I was monitored pretty closely (not as closely as with my boys) and everything was always fine. Early on I'd forget I was even pregnant (being so busy with my boys helped me to take my mind off of what could go wrong)!
    They do suspect that I was going into HELLP syndrome at the very end which resulted in my c/s being 2 days early, but I never even had time to worry about that!

    I delivered a healthy, term baby boy in November and am very glad I got to experience a "normal" pregnancy. I bet you will, too!
  12. LMW1015

    LMW1015 Well-Known Member

    I had my son just after my twins turned 16 months old. It was pretty uneventful and actually very enjoyable. :) I had a c-section with the twins so I was a little freaked out about having a delivery so soon after that. I decided on a VBAC however moved when I was 35 weeks pregnant (more than a 20 hour drive...that was fun LOL) and one of the new DR's scared me out of the VBAC so I scheduled a repeat c-section and my little turkey decided to come 2 days before the c-section on his own (I was 38 weeks 5 days when I had him). The nurse's at the hospital talked me into trying a VBAC and I am SO glad I did. I felt great and was able to jump right back into everything as soon as I got home. Other than that it was a lovely pregnancy :) Congratulations to you and I hope yours goes just as smoothly! :)
Similar Threads Forum Date
So many beds.... The First Year Oct 10, 2019
Been Feeling Sick Now For Many Years General Mar 13, 2015
Too many choices, but are any what I'm looking for? General May 29, 2014
How many weeks is too late for my husband to travel? Pregnancy Help Oct 8, 2013
How many days of fever before you take them in Childhood and Beyond (4+) Apr 17, 2013

Share This Page