If you delivered at a hospital- did you have to have an IV?

Discussion in 'General' started by E&Msmom, Sep 28, 2009.

1. andrew/kaitlyn/smom

andrew/kaitlyn/smom Well-Known Member

My first two children were not born in hospitals, so it was not an issue (although for the record, the midwives were fully prepared to put in an IV if they felt it was warranted). The twins were born in a hospital certified "baby friendly" and while I did ultimately have an IV (and the second twin was born by c-section) I did not have to have one in for most of the labor, and I believe that if it had been a normal singleton low-risk birth that I would not have been required to have one at all. So there are hospitals out there that don't require it, but I'm sure it's not the norm.

2. MusicalAli

MusicalAli Well-Known Member

1st: Induced due to pre-e...had IV.

2nd: Elective induction (wish I hadn't but that's another story) and only had the IV when I requested the epi. The cervical ripening was enough to trigger my labor so I didn't need pitocin or anything like that.

3rd: Hopefully nothing.

3. busymomof3

busymomof3 Well-Known Member

I think that it is great that you want to have an all natural birth. I am also a nurse and can tell you that you will probably be up for a little fight but if that is what you want then go for it. If something happens that you would need an iv it doesn't take long to put one in. If you decide to have one you can always have a hep lock put in just in case. I would recommend reading a thinging womens guide to pregnancy which gives you the natural vs. medical interventions during pregnacy along with studies to back up the information. I found it a real eye opener and if I would have been able to have my kids naturally I wouldn't have had an iv either and would have done it all natural. If this is really the way you want to go then I would suggest a doula or midwife because theyare great advocates and perhaps a center that is more for the 'natural process'. Anyway good luck with whatever you decide and educate your self on all the possibilitis.

4. MusicalAli

MusicalAli Well-Known Member

I LOVE "The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth" by Henci Goer. Reasoning backed up by evidence, not just "because that's how they always did it".

5. HollyP

HollyP Well-Known Member

I think any admittance means IV. It's pretty standard. If something goes wrong, they can administer what they need quickly... if you get one, you can ask the nurse to place it and tape it up so that it is not in the way.

6. Christel

Christel Well-Known Member

As far as questioning every pin prick etc. that the nurses and Dr.'s do I can understand questioning a bit but when you decide on a Dr and a hospital or place of delivery you have to at some point accept that the decisions you made were the right ones and then allow those professionals to do the job you hired them to do.

This is true sometimes, but in a lot of cases is not true. There is one hospital within an hour of our home. Three hospitals within 3 hrs, but one of those not in our insurance network. So it's not as simple as deciding on a Dr and hospital

7. allgood2000

allgood2000 Well-Known Member

Hmmmmm, I thought I posted a reply to this thread, but don't see it. Sorry if this is a repeat!
    I did deliver DS#2 without an IV or any intervention of any kind. I delivered in a hospital with a nurse midwife. It was a fantastic experience! I enjoyed not having the IV while I labored and was able to get in the bathtub comfortably, etc. I will say that although I requested no IV, my midwives would not promise that it would happen. They hemmed and hawed and made it clear that I could request it, but that we would have to see how things worked out when I was in labor. Thankfully, I had an extremely fast, extremely easy birth that time, and ended up not needing the IV. I totally agree with the others who say you can't question every little thing that goes on in labor. I believe it is important to research and to find a caregiver that will honor your requests when it is safe to do so. My next 3 births (4 children) have all required an IV, and I don't sweat it. It's what needed to happen with those births, so I just roll with it! :ibiggrin: Good luck getting what you want! Hopefully your care provider will at least try to honor that request!

8. momof5

momof5 Well-Known Member

I work in a postpartum unit. Based on what I have seen, it can be very dangerous not to hve a heplock. If a mom bleeds heavily or has changes in blood pressure it can be darn near impossible to get an IV in them to administer life saving meds. It is not a chance I would ever take.

9. debbie_long83

debbie_long83 Well-Known Member

I agree with others that having one 'just in case' isn't a bad idea.

10. HoneyBear23

HoneyBear23 Well-Known Member

IV's are required at my hospital. I think it is smart to have one inserted, and then have it capped for just in case it's needed. Like pp stated, when it's emergent, they might have a problem getting an IV.....when every second counts.

I had to have one with my c/s - good thing, as I ended up needing meds (two different times) to get my B/P up as it dropped too low during the c/s. It is also automatic to have the IV in for the frist 24rhs after delivery to give fluids after delivery if needed for blood loss.

I just wouldn't risk not having one. It's not an inconvience, etc. I could move around, hold my babies, etc.

11. Ange2k25

Ange2k25 Well-Known Member

I've only had my twins and the hospital required an IV be in place as well as an epidural in case I had to have a c-section. I was induced, so would have had the IV anyway for the pitocin. Everyone I know who has had a singleton at the same hospital has also had an IV.

12. Susanna+3

Susanna+3 Well-Known Member

It's possible to go without one even in a hospital. But you'll get better support if you are delivering with a midwife whose policies towards these things are accepted by the hospital staff. A doctor might nod his head and agree with you hypothetically about it, but in reality the nurses on staff will automatically put one in unless you raise the roof. The main cases I know in which an IV was not done involved labors where there simply wasn't time to get the IV in. My last baby gave us barely enough time to get one in. And she was tested immediately afterward because of my GBS+ status. She was fine. (most of the time they are!) i'm not a huge fan of the iv, but during labor there are bigger fish to fry in my 'ideal birth' handbook. If I have to pick my battles over issues, the IV issue would be lower on the totem pole than some others.

13. E&Msmom

E&Msmom Well-Known Member

UPDATE:

my OB said I dont have to have an IV :) She said Im young, healthy, have great veins and am very low risk so she has no problem with no IV.
    She said if I were having twins again she would insist on a heplock but I dont need one with this singleton!

14. Christel

Christel Well-Known Member

Yay! I'm glad that you have support in what you want. Good for you!

15. lbrooks

lbrooks Well-Known Member

Good news! I was going to suggest possibly delivering in a midwife center. I know that it's late in the game, but it's not too late to change venues. If it's true that everyone admitted gets an IV the midwife center could help avoid that. Delivering a baby is not an illness. That said, I'm a big believer in using medical advances too my benefit so I've never questioned the IV while delivering. I hate those suckers too!