My Little Rascal Flipped--need Some Advice

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by mrsfussypants, Apr 9, 2007.

  1. mrsfussypants

    mrsfussypants Well-Known Member

    I'm over 35 weeks now, and thought the end was near. Both babies have been head down for almost 2 months, and I thought all was in line for a nice smooth vaginal delivery. Of course, my luck as of late leaves a bit to be desired....and we discovered at today's ultrasound that baby b has turned breech. baby a is so low in my pelvis the midwife could feel her head when they checked my cervix (still dilated to a 2). I seriously feel like I'm walking around with a bowling ball between my legs!

    My ob is out of town for one more week, so I talked to her partner today about possible options--and he basically said he would do a c/s in this case. I asked about breech extraction--and he said part of the problem is that baby b is also much larger than his sister, further complicating the issue. I just don't know what to do. I can't tell if my doctors' hesitance to try a breech extraction is more a matter of convenience, safety or covering their butts. How far do I push the issue? Do I just resign myself to a c/s and move on? The thought of being pregnant another week or two makes me want to cry. I am literally busting at the seams!!!

    What would you do? I would love to hear some experiences and get some other perspectives. I'm so at my wits end!

    Thanks for listening.....Reyna
     
  2. Twin-kle Twin-kle little stars

    Twin-kle Twin-kle little stars Well-Known Member

    Reyna,

    I don't know what to tell, I am sort of in the same predicament. Although both of mine flipped and are breech.

    In your situation I would ask alot of questions at your next ob appt. or talk to him/her as soon as possible. Being that baby A is vertex and ready for vaginal delivery, I would see if the dr could try and turn baby b after A is delivered. It could get tricky, but if it is possible that is what I would do personally. Although I am afraid that if I did deliver A vaginal, and they have troubles turning B, I would end up having the c/sec anyways. Thats when I think, I would just go for the c sec, rather that delivering both ways.

    Hang in there, you never know...maybe your boy will decide to turn this week sometime.

    Keep us posted!
    Juli
     
  3. Ericka B

    Ericka B Well-Known Member

    It is so hard to say what to do, every doctor seems to have a different opinion on this. My worst fear is having a vaginal delivery for the first one and then having to have an emergency c/s anyway for the second. Not only because I wouldn't want to go through labor just to have major surgery on top of it but also I think that an emergency c/s would be pretty scary. My peri tells me that if even one is head down he would try for vag. and then try and turn the second baby, but he's not the one delivering them. My ob says that if even one is breech they would probably just do a c/s, but ultimately be my choice at that point. I guess I just have to kind of be ready for anything. My ob assured me that it really was my decision and that I needed to make it clear what I wanted to see happen. Good Luck.
     
  4. 2BMommyof2

    2BMommyof2 Well-Known Member

    My OB told me also that he would deliver Baby B breech as long as Baby A is vertex and is bigger in size than Baby B (which in your case, does not apply). I agree with pp that it would not be fun to have an emergency C-section after going through labor and delivering Baby A vaginally - the recovery would probably suck! Mine are both breech right now and I really wanted a vaginal birth, but I've come to the conclusion that it's probably not an option for me.

    Do what you think is best for your babies first and then what is best for you.

    On a side note, my BIL (an anesthesiologist) told me that I should do whatever the OB feels most comfortable doing. He said that you don't want to take them out of their comfort zone when your life and your babies lives are in his/her hands. Just a thought!

    Good luck!
     
  5. ahmerl

    ahmerl Well-Known Member

    I totally feel for you. I have been complaining for the past two weeks because my BABY A has flipped (I am 32 weeks) and now has her bum stuck in my cervix. She spent many a month with her head wedged down there and is now all comfy cozy and messing up my dreams of a vaginal birth. I don't know what to say that the pp haven't said. My only thought is that if baby b flipped recently, who is to say he/she can't flip again.

    I have spent time inverted (chest to floor bum in the air), with frozen peas where baby a's head is and with music playing on my pubic bone.... nothing is working and I am sick of messing with it so I guess we just sit back for the ride and let the doctors do what they do best. My ob is NOT conservative AT ALL and totally down with a breech extraction if BABY A is vertex and BABY B is breech UNLESS BABY B is over 1/2 a pound bigger than A. My thought is that if my very open minded and laid back ob won't do it, it probably isn't a good idea.

    Keep us posted and hang in there - I can't wait to here your birth story!

    Amy
     
  6. Susanna+3

    Susanna+3 Well-Known Member

    I was in this situation up until 34 weeks... my baby A was vertex and baby B was breech. ...actually somewhere between transverse and breech. I had many weeks to think about it... I decided to informally interview all of my possible doctors... I was in a practice where I was seeing around 5 doctors. 3 out of five were comfortable doing either a breech extraction or a manual rotation of baby B...the other two were non-convincing in their willingness to try it. They leaned toward c/s. I didn't know what to do... I couldn't predict which doctor I would get..and if there is one thing I'm certain of it's that you really DON'T want an ob doing something that they are not comfortable or experienced doing. I prayed that the decision would be taken out of my hands that either baby B would flip or that baby A would flip....well at 34 weeks baby A went transverse and that settled it for me...her butt was firmly in my pelvis.

    I think that the obvious other factors are, as you said, whether baby B is bigger...my baby B was also the boy, and so I was a little concerned over his size... and yet not concerned....my first delivery was vaginal and I had an 8lb 1oz baby girl... I knew that anything less than that I could pop out without a problem. I noticed you have another child... I'm assuming this was a vaginal delivery?... If this baby was a difficult 7lb or less birth, I might reconsider vaginal... But if it was a simple 7lb+ delivery or a challenging, but possible 8 or 9lb delivery (and I'm talking about the actual pushing phase...not the transistion phase of labor....how long it took to actually push the baby out) , then you will probably be fine with baby B being a little larger. Again you really need to look at what your doctor is comfortable doing. If your doctor has no experience with breech extraction, and is hesitant to do one, then you have two options... 1. do the c/s...2. find another doctor... obviously the second solution will be difficult this late in the game. Negotiating with your doctor is probably not the best idea. But if he seems somewhat willing to give it a go..perhaps you can come to a compromise...maybe if you go into labor on your own by 38 weeks then he will let you give a vaginal delivery a shot... and if not then you will have a c/s.... A lot of babies do flip on their own once baby A comes out.... but again there is a real possibility that interentions will be required. I was very confident and comfortable with 3 of my 5 possible doctors... but what would happen if I got the other 2??? that's what I was nervous over. Whatever happens remember it's not the end of the world to wind up with a c/s... and there's no shame in deciding that you don't want to risk a vaginal delivery. I hope things turn out well for you whichever way you decide.
     
  7. kmorris

    kmorris Member

    My Doctor is very comfortable doing a vaginal delivery with a breech extraction, but also said baby A must be larger in size to do so. I'm in the same position as you...both were vertex, Baby B now breech...and larger! Maybe they will turn again??!!!
     
  8. traci_roo

    traci_roo Well-Known Member

    I am sorry baby B is giving you a tough time by turning. I am having a c-section (soon I hope) because I also feel like I am busting at the seams. I have reached the end of my patience with being pregnant and I am tired of bumping into things with this big, unnatural looking belly.

    My doc is very experienced and will only do a c-section if both are vertex. I feel comfortable with this decision because I would rather do a c-section than have to do a vaginal birth and a c-section.

    I hope you can come to a decision with your docs and decide what is right for you. Everyone has different experiences so you have to weigh the good with the bad. Good luck!
     
  9. mrsfussypants

    mrsfussypants Well-Known Member

    I really appreciate all the replies. All this time I've told myself that I'm flexible and would accept whatever way the babies had to come out--until I was actually faced with the liklihood of a c/s...and now I'm freaking out. I am surprised at how unnerved I am by it. I absolutely realize it's not the end of the world to have a c/s. I just don't want the "grand tour" of birthing options, and end up with both a vaginal and c/s delivery. Ay-yi-yi. i guess there are no guarantees in this thing, are there?! It sounds like my boy's size is the biggest problem....so I think what I'll do is wait to decide until the next growth scan (monday) to see exactly how much bigger he's measuring and where he's positioned, and go from there. In the meantime, I'm going to work on being f-l-e-x-i-b-l-e!! Thanks ladies.
     
  10. ahmerl

    ahmerl Well-Known Member

    Hi Reyna -

    I just wanted to add one more thing:

    When I found out that BABY A had flipped and would probably require a c-section I actually cried. My DH was dumbfounded as we had such a great peri appt.. with the babies weights and everything being wonderful and here I was crying. I couldn't help it, I was p-o'ed by the thought of the c-section. I have noticed; however, the past couple days, that I am much more calm and accepting of it. I guess give it sometime and you may find, like I have, that you get kind of used to the idea.

    Amy
     
  11. kimber074

    kimber074 Well-Known Member

    Okay, remember if b just flipped there is still time to flip again...as for delivery options, I just discussed this with my peri and here is his advise...if B is significantly larger than A and is in any position other than vertex it is highly likely to be in an emergency c/s position with B because the cervix may not dilate large enough for B and may collapse on itself after A is delivered. If B is smaller than B's position does not matter because the cervix will be dilated enough. Good luck and i'm sending "flipping" vibes to B.
     
  12. babies@2

    [email protected] Well-Known Member

    I tried to really prepare myself mentally for the possibility of a c-section. My OB was very comfortable delivering twin B via breech extraction.

    Well, both our little ones were vertex by the end, our ds flipped at around 32/33 weeks and we were elated. I still very much prepared myself for the possibility of a c-section. After delivering our dd vaginally, our ds's cord fell out and prolapsed and down I went and up went the curtain for an emergency c-section. It happened so fast. I was actually fine with it- I guess I had to be under the circumstances- because I was in good hands and trusted everything would be ok. I thank God our ds was delivered safely and was healthy as can be and thank God for allowing me to witness his birth as well (I had an epidural in place). So I guess you can mentally prepare for anything, but all in all, it's out of your control and you are at the mercy of all those wonderful people in the room. I really do hope that they are both head down at the end and you have a healthy and safe delivery!
     
  13. kendraplus2

    kendraplus2 Well-Known Member

    Hi Reyna!

    My baby A was also head-down since like 24 weeks and B was flipping all over the place. They seemed the same size, however, so my docs were comfortable trying for a vaginal delivery. They figured they could maneuver B from the outside and flip him around if need be. But if B was bigger than A, they definitely would have had to do a C-section. Well, up until delivery they were the same size and I was attempting vaginal, but after 27 hours of labor I ended up needing a C-section. It turned out that A was 5 pounds 5 ounces and B was 6 pounds 8 ounces! U/S were way off!! So it was likely that I would have had the "full-birth experience", something I definitely did not want. So you just never know. :p I think I would still try for the vaginal if that is something that you really feel strongly about, I know I felt strongly about attempting it.
     
Loading...
Similar Threads Forum Date
To Alexis, our little angel General Jul 11, 2018
a little update and I miss this place General Oct 19, 2015
Friends & little brothers... Childhood and Beyond (4+) Jun 30, 2015
We had a lovely little scare last night. I'm 2 cm 80% effaced. Come on sweet girls Pregnancy Help May 11, 2015
Feeling a little guilty about extending their Christmas break Childhood and Beyond (4+) Oct 31, 2013

Share This Page