Personality vs Social/Emotional Issues with school readiness

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by Oneplus2more, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

Preschool conferences are this week. Natalie is more than ready academically, the only "concern" I hear from her teachers is that she is quiet - doesn't talk much at school & is very soft spoken when she does. I have to say this really annoys me because they tend to mention it at pickup time & I can tell it bothers Natalie - she literally shrinks back even more. I don't know that this is something we can work with her on - unlike if she didn't know her letters or numbers. I'm at a loss of how to respond about this. I'm sure it will come up at the conference. Is this really an assessment area? What would you do to hekp with this?

2. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

At your conference, I would definitely mention that you would appreciate them not talking about these issues in front of Natalie. That is inappropriate & may cause the problem (if you could call it a problem, I would call it pretty normal for that age) to get worse. I don't know if there is anything you can do to help her. My oldest two were exactly like that in Kindergarten & over the years they have just outgrown it and are quite outgoing now. I really think at 5 it should not be a concern, after all you can't (nor should anyone really want to) change a child's personality.

1 person likes this.
  3. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Sheryl, that just sounds like personality to me. Lennon was very quiet in kdg. and continues to be quiet in first grade, but he is excelling in all subject areas. He answers questions during class, raises his hand, and participates frequently, but is very soft spoken and reserved. I would not worry about that as a sign of kdg. readiness. Kids - people - have different personalities and comfort levels. I bet she will come out of her shell a little more each year!

4. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

I would take it all with a grain of salt. My two are very reserved at school, and always have been. It is part of their personality, and probably will be for many years to come. It takes weeks for them to get comfortable, and this year it took my son almost three months before he started to comfortably raise his hand. We've tried everything to help him feel safe, confident, and comfortable. Honestly, the only solution has been time. And like the pp mentioned, not talking about it in front of him, which only makes him feel worse.

5. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

My daughter is generally very quiet in school and does not like speaking when everyone is listening to her. She does fine academically. I was that way growing up and look where I am now! LOL I can be very independent! Just don't mention it in front of her and look for activities where she can shine!